Being forced into full-timing... Help

Discussion in 'Full Timers' started by Fletton, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Fletton

Fletton Funster

My wife has just "kicked me out".. i'll spare you the details on here..

We bought the MH in april and I didn't envisage this happening!... So i'm relatively new to it all....

The issue is... "we" decided to take my max pension sum - leaving me with a lower monthly income .... My wife is still working and obviously earns enough to run the home etc.. but I will only have my pension...

Can any of you guys give me a ball park figure on minimum income required to ful-time her in UK..

I have a Knaus A class...

Sorry if this has been asked before - it's just that I've borrowed some Wifi and can't stay on for long to search the threads

thanks funsters

2. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

Sorry to hear that. Can't help on the cost front though.

Good luck

3. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Hi Fletton,

You can live much cheaper in a motorhome than a house but there are a few things you should know.

Buying long term pitches can be cheap, but you might end up liable for council tax if you stay too long in one place. CLs can be just the thing for full timers, however To stay completley legal you need to move every 28 days.

Budget for around £ 300/350 per month for staying on CLs. The rest you already know such as phone/internet costs, and other costs like fuel and food will soon become apparent. Best of luck (y)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Figaro

Figaro Funster

Don't be bullied into full timing if it's not what you want. Never done it or would never consider it but I would think it takes a he'll of a lot of planning.
    I would have thought you should be considering other options.
    Chris

5. Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels Funster Life Member

Use your motorhome for somewhere to live for sure, but you still own half the house I assume and you should be fighting for your half. Even if it means selling the house.

You might find you love the freedom of living in your van and with a bit of extra money in the bank as a security blanket it makes fulltiming a more viable option.

There are quiet a few of us full timers on here who can advise re getting wifi sorted, keeping a UK address for legal stuff. Finding the right site at a good rate is the first thing, but don't be too nervous of fulltiming and you don't need to know everything straight away, there is always help at hand on here if you ask.

• Like Like x 7
  6. JJ

JJ Funster

When my wife and I split up, I walked away only taking my motorhome and leaving her the house and contents.

I moved fulltime into the van (off-site) in and around Bath until I found a better place to live. I am still fulltiming in my van over twenty years later.

The savings made by not paying site fees enabled me to chase the sun every winter.

Going fulltime was the best lifestyle choice I ever made.

JJ :cool:

• Like Like x 17
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

Hi Fletton , sorry to hear this and I expect you must be in a bit of shock at the moment, if you owned your own home then you need to see a solicitor you can't just walk away from that. Jim and Armytwowheels have given you good advice.
    I would look in getting your self to the 3 shop and getting yourself some mobile internet MIFI not a dongle. That should help with the internet question for you. Good Luck.

• Like Like x 6
  8. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

sorry to hear that you are having issues. lets hope you can work things out in an amicable way. whatever, dont be forced to take on a lifestyle or you may later resent it

9. Fletton

Fletton Funster

Thanks for replys guys...

I've done a quick n dirty calc on assets etc... and it's just about evens on selling all assets vs me keeping van with few grand chucked in from her side...

So I would be stuffed with no van insofar as being able to find a roof with the cash equiv etc..

It appears that Cathy has me well and truely over a barrel and shafted at this moment in time...

It now makes wonder if all of this has been calculated to occur at this time.. or I'm just very unlucky!!..

Q: Can anyone give my a ball park on FT insurance costings ... eg Double norm etc...

thanks

10. Zepp

Zepp Funster

Sorry you must be gutted , I agree with the above you need to see a solicitor Ive been down this road twice and it can get nasty.

Not sure on FT Insurance I know people who pay £1200 but that was two years ago and don't forget you have to cover breakdowns + service costs

Paul

• Like Like x 1
  11. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

It might look even Stevens on paper at the moment but don't forget that your van is a depreciating asset whereas the house if your wife keeps it is likely to be an appreciating asset.

If you think you are being shafted go and see a local solicitor who might suggest that it would be in your best interests to liquidate all joint assets and then divide them.

You can always buy another van.

• Like Like x 21
  12. Barclaybasher

Barclaybasher Funster

Living in a van 'when you want to' will be very different to living in one because you have to.

Winter can be very cold unless you can afford to move to warmer climes.

Only you know your finances but it might be difficult without other income..... you might need to find part-time work

If you have any health issues you should consider?

It's easier for younger, financially independant folks to give advice and encouragement ............

Good luck anyway

As others have said .... don't be pushed...... take your time(y)

13. Landy lover

Landy lover Funster

We have been full timing since 2008 and would not change it for the world. BUT it is not everyone's idea of fun - My advice - first thing is to legalise the situation - will cost money but will be well spent for the future so see a solicitor who will secure your financial position. Is the vehicle in your name ?? if it is in your wife or joint names you may not have the right to that even.

You will need an address for Passport /Driving Licence / Insurance / Bank account /V5/ etc. etc. and I would suggest that it is NOT where your wife is. Otherwise if things get nasty it could cause problems . Best to make a clean break and work towards the future rather than take risks. There are many thousands of full timers in the UK - all keeping a low profile and getting on with life - cost so much depends on what you want to do a basic CL no frills no EHU can be found for £5 to £7 per night - one with showers EHU maybe a washing machine £12 to £15 per night. Once you get into the full time living you may be able to find a farm site which will offer you a deal for long term stays. I know many who have a CL and another field with high hedges where 'storage' facilities are available for a select few !! What do you want to do - travel - in which case your weekly outgoings will include fuel and parking and other charges such as entry fees to where ever you are going. Full timer Figures for a couple all up have been quoted as anything from 10k per year being frugal to £20K living a comfortable life. Obviously there would be a reduction for a single but not as much as you might think.

Don't forget a contingency fund for vehicle servicing and breakdowns - a new clutch or gearbox can make a heck of a hole in finances. Long term you need to think of replacements.

Hope all goes well for you

• Like Like x 3
  14. Ivory55

Ivory55 Funster

If you need to work it might be possible to park where you work and save site fees. There are a number of hgv drivers who live in their van at the yard mon to fri then use a campsite at weekends for laundry etc, or weekend security guard sleeping on site and sites in the week. Hope it works out ok

• Like Like x 2
  15. Badknee

Badknee Funster

As has been said, it sounds like you need help of the legal type. A permanent address might be brothers/sisters friends etc. make sure they are good friends as most tend to take sides at times like this. A job we fancy in the future is site wardens during the season and winter sun out of season. Live on site with EHU and a small wage.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Allan & Loren

Allan & Loren Funster

Hi, lots of great advice on here. She hasn't got you over a barrel she just a sounds like she's bullying you into submission. When Allan got divorced his wife walked out and went home to her parents. She turned up with her brother one day and a removal van and cleared out the house of everything and cleared out his bank account too. His solicitor told him to be seen to be reasonable throughout all the negotiations, which paid off in the long run. Don't accept the motorhome and leave her with the house. You'd be better off selling both, splitting the money and starting again. I hope in the meantime you can settle somewhere and keep working ok.

• Like Like x 9
  17. Gromett

Gromett Funster

I have been fulltiming since 2009. Current monthly costs are as follows;
    DVLA (VED) £20
    Gas (LPG) £10 (annualised monthly cost)
    Phone £22.00
    Site fees £310 (I aim for £10 a night sites)
    Shopping £150
    Diesel £20

My insurance is annual I won't give prices here as it depends on too many factors.
    I try to get CL's at £10 a night or up to £12 if they provide wifi. I have a pay as you go MiFi and now only top it up if I am away from a campsite with wifi.

I try to keep a £1,000 emergency reserve which due to my crap van gets obliterated most years at MOT time....

During the summer I can spend a lot of time off campsites and save a lot of money by wild camping (parking). You need good solar and battery bank for this.

Annual expenses include, insurance, MOT/Service, Caravan club membership and a small budget for repairs.

Comments about it being cold in the winter are not relevant I found. All 3 of the vans I have had have been easier to keep warm in the winter than my modern house was. The first two winters I had -20C temps to deal with and didn't have any issues.

It is a lifestyle not a permanent holiday though and there are compromises you need to make but there are also major upsides. For me the upsides far outweigh the compromises.

I really can't imagine moving back into a house again.

A part time minimum wage job is enough to keep the funds topped up if your pension doesn't cover it. A lot of full timers I know do work from their van.

If you have any questions I am happy to answer from my experience.

• Like Like x 15
  18. scotzsue

scotzsue Funster

Soprry to hear about your situation, however,
    Also think you are being bullied, you say your wife is still working, has she reasonable grounds for 'kicking you out'? Could you claim maintenance and part of her pension? do not walk away with just a depreciating asset, no matter how much you love it. You are angry and therefore vulnerable, don't allow yourself to be taken advantage of. Get legal advice.

• Like Like x 5
  19. movan

movan Funster Life Member

Crumbs, the figures being quoted for full timing are really scary arn't they... I'm getting really depressed here.. Wondering now whether not to sell my house after all as cost of storage also needs to go onto the figures above... either that or find a man.. (that seems to be cropping up a lot this week doesn't it).

As others say, don't just walk away... I made that mistake. The trouble is that you are feeling so low at the moment you feel like you have no energy to fight for your rights ... but in twelve months' time once you are stronger, you could regret not doing so. We don't know the ins and outs of your marriage and so we can't say what you are entitled to legally or morally ... you need advice from the professionals... Try not to be bitter as it will not help your health ... just think that this is a new beginning for you ... life hasn't ended it has just changed and there could be exciting times ahead . It's just that it is too soon for you to see them yet.

• Like Like x 18
  20. Manic

Manic Funster

I think it would be worth looking at one of the Caravan club because being on your own you could go on a site with all facilities for a similar price to CL that just charges a rate regardless of you being on your own.

21. chaser

chaser Funster

I have been fulltiming since 2009. Current monthly costs are as follows;
    DVLA (VED) £20
    Gas (LPG) £10 (annualised monthly cost)
    Phone £22.00
    Site fees £310 (I aim for £10 a night sites)
    Shopping £150
    Diesel £20

Well don't know how much the op is on but this lot is a fiver more than my pension, without all your others

• Like Like x 1