Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
Has anybody else got the same problem. On my satellite dish I used to get BBC1 North West which suited me just fine.

Now it has apparently stopped transmission. I can work through the astra 28 satellite and find other BBC programmes and they work just fine. I'm used to seeing a "no signal" come up when I'm a long way away but this is happening in England. Any suggestions or do I just settle for seeing local news that suits people who only wished they lived in Lancashire.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
re-scan the tv/box. Digital channels do 'move' occasionally.

Make sure aerial connections are good and tight, and slightly loose connection will cause severe signal loss.

Also check signal strength - too STRONG a signal can result in loss of reception, so only use boosters if you need them.

OP
OP
bernardfeay

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
I've done the rescan

Thanks for the tip, but I've done the rescan and it made no difference. I could understand it if a whole bunch of channels had gone missing but it's just that one.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
In that case look into the aerial and lead side of it, connectors are on tight and no breaches or fouling of lining with core and check the aerial hasn't moved in wind. Also check for software updates on the tv/box.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
:Smile: I could never get it either... and I thought it was local news for local people..

images

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
We too have experienced the loss of a number of local channels from both the BBC and ITV, eg, we can get the BBC's Look East (South), which covers the South Cambs/Suffolk/Essex areas, but no longer receive (North) which covers the North Cambs/ East Northants areas.
With ITV for example, we have lost the Central (East) ie, Derbys/Notts/South Lincs areas, and only pick up the Central (West) ie, West Mids/Worcs/Gloucs.

Someone did tell me, but I can't remember now why they have removed these and other local frequencies.

Regards,

Jock.

Jul 27, 2007
West Yorks occasionally
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessacarr 560L
Exp
Since 2007
A lot of the local BBC channels have moved to free up space required for the new HD channels. Doing just a rescan probably won't remove any old channels but will add the new ones, so after a rescan go through and remove all the old channels or the ones you don't watch.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
As the digital switch over takes place they seem to move the channels about.

I read some where that as the system gets closer to completion the signals will change and even the signal strength will change, some getting stronger.

Living in Scotland we could only get the Scotland local progs. but now we can get both Look North and the Scotland local news. So it may change again as they complete the digital switch over.

Ours sometimes finds it difficult to get Look North but if I re-boot the box it comes bach. Unplug the box, leave for a few mins. the re-start see if that will change anything.

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
My Mum (Penrith) did say something recently about one of the local channels up there being amalgamated with elsewhere, so it could just be gone?

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Just tuned into BBC1 North West on channel 978 on the Sky EPG. :Doh:

So it's still there. :thumb:

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
I belong to a forum where our house is in Spain and this has been posted on that. It would affect UK as well so am pasting it here (it's a bit long winded, sorry)

There are some important changes happening on the BBC frequencies:

BBC1 West (Bristol)
BBC1 Channel Islands
BBC1 East (West) (Cambridge)

are all leaving their current frequency, and moving to the frequency currently used by BBC2 England - 10773 H
This means that their reception will be as per BBC2 England.
This means that BBC Channel Islands will no longer be recognised as being the strongest BBC1 region.

BBC1 Manchester
BBC1 Leeds
BBC 1 Tunbridge Wells

are all leaving their current frequency, and moving to the frequency currently used by BBC RAdio 5 Live and BBC1&2 Scotland - 10.802 H
This means that their reception will again be as per / similar to BBC2 England.

BBC1 Wales and BBC2 Wales

will be moving from their current frequency to 10.788v - moving from a weaker horizontal to a stronger vertical frequency. So these Wales regions reception will be as per most BBC1 regions ie - almost 24/7 on most big dishes. Meaning some areas will have 24/7 reception of a BBC2 region.

BBC1 Northern Ireland and BBC2 Northern Ireland

will be moving from their current frequency to 10.817v - moving from a weaker horizontal to a stronger vertical frequency. So these Northern Ireland regions reception will be as per most BBC1 regions ie - almost 24/7 on most big dishes. Meaning some areas will have 24/7 reception of a BBC2 region.

Why the changes?
The BBC have had to have a move around to amke space for the BBC1 HD channel.
This will be starting on Wednesday 3rd November.
The BBC had to make space for this channel, which will be on the same frequency as BBCHD channel.
The BBCHD channel will continue to operate showing "the best of the BBC in HD", and the BBC1 HD channel will be a simulcast of BBC1 London.

It will mean that if you watch BBC1 Channel Islands, then you will find that its reception has changed.

It will also mean that you should now have much better coverage of BBC2, either via BBC2 England (reception not changing), BBC2 Northern Ireland, and BBC2 Wales. The latter two regions have almost the same schedules as BBC2 England, with some minor changes for regional programmes.

Freesat and Sky boxes will automatically update themselves on Monday 18th October 2010 with these new frequencies.

Those with Non Sky or Freesat boxes will have to rescan the channels to make sure your boxes have the new BBC1 and BBC2 frequencies.

K9Brian

Free Member
Aug 2, 2010
South Manchester
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since April 2010
I had the same problem with BBC1 North West. 24hrs later it was back. I didn't retune or anything.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back