Battery Warranty ? Experience?

Discussion in 'Swift Motorhomes' started by Bohenny, May 10, 2014.

1. Bohenny

Bohenny

I have a Swift Sundance with a Platinum 110Ah battery fitted which no longer lasts more than 4 hours when using the cabin lights
    The m/home is less than 2 years old.
    Has anyone experience of getting a replacement under warranty?

2. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

some cheap batteries only have a 12month warranty so not much help. it will also depend on what caused the battery to fail, like leaving it without charge for months over the winter

personally I now use alphaline batteries and the only one that lost a cell after 18 months was replace without issue under the 4 year warranty

3. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Will depend on the battery warranty.. and the goodwill of the supplier.. but even if they agree that it failed prematurely, I doubt you will get it replaced free...

for example.. .. if it had 3 years warranty then you MAY get a pro rata discount of 1/3 on a replacement..

I had this argument with Elecsol when mine failed within the warranty period.. they argued that I had mistreated it and in the end offered a small discount on a replacement.. I told them where to stuff it..

I believe they are no longer made.. I wonder why

4. Kool Kroozer

Kool Kroozer Funster

We just had our main - engine battery - replaced under warranty, but the van is only a few months old... we were told that the engine battery only comes with a 12 month cover - Peugeot that is:Smile: cannot speak for other makes

5. TheTwoOfUs

TheTwoOfUs Funster

Had a Varta battery fail on Merilyn's Smart car. The battery was just over a year old. I took it back and asked them to check it out, which the guy did. He told me that a cell had failed which was very unusual and he then disappeared and came back with another new battery which he date marked before handing it to me. When I asked how much I owed I was pleasantly surprised to be told nothing, it was under warranty. I believe that Varta give a 3year warranty on car batteries and 1year on bike batteries.

Last edited: May 10, 2014
  6. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

I took back a cheepy 110Ah battery I bought from Chichester caravans which died after a year and was impressed that they gave me a replacement without a quibble.

7. Bohenny

Bohenny

Thanks to all - seems like I may stand a chance although I am tempted to go for a Banner with a 4 year warranty and a better chance of it lasting. Frustrating because it has been on EHU all winter on the drive. I checked with a meter in line to be sure I was not losing power somewhere it shouldn't be going and all the measurements were as per the Sargent website.

8. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

a faulty charger will kill a battery if its left charging for months too, which is typical for the way some people leave a motorhome on ehu at home over winter

9. Bohenny

Bohenny

Now you've got me worried! Although it wasn't on charge the whole time and we did some " "winter" trips in late Nov and early this year. Any way I can diagnose a faulty charger - ?connect the ammeter while on charge to a fully charged battery???