battery tester

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by PORKSTER, Jan 10, 2016.

1. PORKSTER

PORKSTER Funster

Hi I Have done a search but cant find what I am looking for which is an inexpensive 12v battery tester. to test my hab battery and vehicle batteries a link to item be nice too thanks Paul

2. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

To test them for what....voltage ?

3. PORKSTER

PORKSTER Funster

Would now be a good time to say I am clueless ? The van has a panel its just to check batteries are what that is telling me and to check condition. They was reading low today just over 12v for van battery and 11.9 for the hab batteries. van hasnt been usd for a good few weeks and we have had really realy dull skies since xmas so solar will struggle to keep things charged.

• Like Like x 1
  4. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

You dont need a tester....you need a hookup, soon.

Your panel volt display will be a reasonably good indicator of battery state.

If you let the batteries fall below 12v they will start to become damaged.

You wont get ANY usable power from your solar panel in this bad whether.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

You MUST keep your batteries charged at all times. By the sounds of it as pappajohn states in a roundabout way your current batteries might be discharged beyond use. Forget solar in UK....

6. Stealaway

Stealaway Funster

• Like Like x 2
  7. Figaro

Figaro Funster

Lots of battery threads at the moment, I guess the colder weather finds the weakness in them.
    I like stealaway thoughts on batteries !

8. PORKSTER

PORKSTER Funster

Thanks everyone I have put it on hook up which I rarely do as van is normaly used a lot more than recent weeks. I am now researching batteries to purchase thats a minefield but i am sure I will ask you good peoples advice.

I have been reading info on http://www.aandncaravanservices.co.uk/ website regarding Reich Burstner set ups so thats confusing me more lol thanks for now Paul

9. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

Buy your batteries at Battery MegaStore, good price good service and so far I'm very pleased with the 3 x 100amp I have from them.

• Like Like x 3
  10. PORKSTER

PORKSTER Funster

yes that is where I was looking used them for my sprinter battery

11. daveandsan

daveandsan Funster

Lidl are selling a Battery and Alternator tester this Thursday, don't know if its any good.

12. daveandsan

daveandsan Funster

Lidl are selling a Battery and Alternator tester this Thursday, don't know if its any good.

13. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

I am probably just behind you on the technical level, but I would say the could well still be fine, if regularly used as they have been, provided they stay at a half decent level after a day or two on charge you could be good to go

That said if they are 3 years old or older might just be a useful warning to get them changed while it is convenient, better a controlled change than a must do while somewhere on site

When we bought ours 3 years ago and three years old, the batteries both appeared to be duff, it was actually only one, but I changed both, other good one now in a mates MH still doing fine for him

I do carry a simple multi meter which I find very useful for checking various things including fuses, something like this is a good thing to have, even if only to help someone else out (y)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Draper-60...241725?hash=item541017b3fd:g:c1gAAOSwq7JUEICU

there are loads to chose from and someone will now tell you a better one to get :)

• Like Like x 1
  14. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

@PORKSTER , do you know what the electric system is in your van ?

If it is a Sargent, then as mentioned elsewhere that 11.9v reading will almost certainly be false
    Most of the Sargent systems I have checked have been .4v low, while some are only .2v low, but ALL have read lower than was actual !
    You may be worrying about nowt !

15. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

A car battery tester is useless for testing a Leisure battery as they test the cranking performance which is a high load for a short period, A battery that is too knackered for leisure use will usually pass this test.

1) Best way of testing a leisure battery is to fully charge it, let it rest for an hour then & check the voltage:-
    2) Place a load on it of say 5 amps (can do this in the van by turning on lights etc.).
    3) Leave it with the load for a time that equates to 25% of battery capacity (100A/H battery it would be 5 amps for 5 hours).
    4) Turn the load off let the battery settle for ½-1 hour measure the voltage, the battery will now be @ 75% state of charge.
    5) Repeat 3, battery will now be @ 50% state of charge.
    6) Repeat 3, battery will now be @ 25% state of charge.

upload_2016-1-13_9-44-15.png

16. Peter A Forbes

Peter A Forbes Funster

We occasionally use one of the 'old school' testers, made by Benning in Germany, it is a heavy discharge tester with loads for 100A, 200A and 300A and a digital display.

Max testing time 5 seconds, but it does give the battery a good test of performance.

There was/is on on ebid.

Peter

17. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

A good post and good chart, but please do not repeat test/discharge your battery/batteries below 50% and never do it ebore 25% as this can damage them beyond use.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

You should also never use a drop tester on a gel battery..
    I really canna remember why ( got it in my notes somewhere but... )
    It can ruin one in seconds

• Like Like x 1
  19. SomeoneElse

SomeoneElse Funster

20. jockaneezer

jockaneezer Funster

I think the Reich handbook recommends not exceeding about 250 amp/hour battery capacity including the vehicle battery for the standard ebox charger. I haven't got the info to hand, but my 05 Burstner has an additional charger fitted to the ebox that lets you exceed the 250 a/h. I fitted a 150 w solar panel last year and used the Reich solar controller, the guys at A&N kept me right as to how to wire it up and it works great, including trickle charging the cab battery and showing the solar input on the remote display. I've always found the Reich remote display volt and amp readings to be about the same as my multimeter readings, so assume that it's up to the job. The only time I've had battery problems was when one of the two leisure batteries started to fail and dragged the good one down with it, I disconnected the duff one and kept an eye on the good one for a couple of weeks then fitted a new lead acid of the same value and they've been fine.

• Like Like x 1