Battery substitution?

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by houdini, Oct 2, 2016.

1. houdini

houdini Funster

Some advice please.....

We have had some problems with engine batteries which are hopefully now solved. Short trip to Dorset planned soon - would like to know if cab engine battery fails on departure morning is it OK to substitute the leisure battery to get us home?

2. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

If it fits I don't she why not as lesuer battery's are just starter baaterrys with difrent labiles
    If you get your shelf a desulfating battery charger you should be abil to recuver your starter battery as long as it shows 12v after a normal charge and standing do 24hrs to get rid of surface charge desulfating your battery two or three times a year will increase its life my a long way I don't buy new battery's I desulfating old ones had one in my car almost a year now and it is fine
    Problem is during the summer that don't get worked Enoch and when winter comes that fail running the battery down a bit with lights on then giving it a good run helps to get rid of the sulfate on the plates
    Bill

3. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

in an emergency yes but leisure batteries dont realy like starting engines its also unlikley that they are physically the same size to fit in the holder
    in an emergency i would use the leisure to jump start the van once and then go direct to home or garage

4. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Better to connect the leisure battery to the engine battery for a couple of hours, then hopefully the engine battery will get enough charge to start the engine. Disconnect before starting doing it this way you won't cane your leisure batteries.

5. ivorantony

ivorantony Funster

the problem with that is if the Cab battery has a dead cell it will drain the leisure battery without putting much if any power into the cab battery,
    as been said jump start it from the leisure battery and it will be fine,

• Like Like x 1
  6. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Trueif it is short circuit but I would always check battery voltages before doing anything, it will give you a good idea of state of play. Obviously nothing with happn if a cell is open circuit.

7. Louis

Louis Funster

Use jump leads

8. Mrsambulancekidd

Mrsambulancekidd Funster

If you don't mind me asking Bill, how do you go about removing the sulphate between the batteries plates? I used to be able to buy stuff that did this job, but it was in an old Motor Factors & its not there anymore.

9. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

Buy a battery charger with a recovery mantanance mode I am in the prose's of trying to get sum stuff from the USA but having a few problems with HM customs
    Others a lot of snake oil remidays out thare that don't do the job de sulfate chargers ate the best way I do six at a time with my one
    Bill

10. houdini

houdini Funster

• Like Like x 1