Jan 3, 2009
Sax Alicante
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
7 years
Hi guys
This will probably sound very basic but hope some one can help. yesterday while messing in my 2002 Benimar Fiat ducato jtd 2.8 in the drive the radio started to flash and wasn't playing music. I had to take out the radio and pull out to unplug and turn off. When i tried to start the engine all i got was nothing except one or two lights on the dash. I've checked all the fuses but not the box things(forgot name) next to them. I took the cables off the battery and have started to charge it using little 5 amp charger.
The live connection on the battery (varta 100 amp 760 amp) connects via a threaded bolt post. On it is a plate with lots of other smaller connections. Is this a special type battery or a bog standard replacement ??
I think the battery is taking a charge but would appreciate advice cos here in the hills above Alicante its hard getting reliable info
Cheers David:Doh:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Hi there David... was the van standing for a long time or have you been using it regularly?
Is there any chance you left the radio on for a long time?
How old is the battery?

Have/can you check the water levels in the battery?

Best case scenario (IMO) the radio/alarm has flattened the battery and a (long at 5amps) recharge will sort it...

Worse case scenario a dead battery (maybe, but not necessarily, caused by a short somewhere.) Sometimes batteries die suddenly...

JJ

PS. I am not an expert...

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Dave I agree with JJ about you probably flattening the battery with the CD/radio and the charger should put things right :thumb:
Should you need to replace the battery it is a bog standard 100amp 760 amp cold cranking type--- the cold cranking is the bit you need- try to get same size or close to it -760 cc or better still 800 cc amps -- 80/90/100 amps will be fine it is the cold cranking bit you need ,higher the better :thumb:
terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
bog standard battery....the plate is for necessary additional connections instead of having loads of ring connectors on one clamp bolt.

OP
OP
david and ann

david and ann

Free Member
Jan 3, 2009
Sax Alicante
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
7 years
Thanks guys
will take off charger this morning and see if battery has taken a charge. Thought 50 watt solar panel and elec plug in would keep battery ok.
Think if it starts bus then battery must be past sell by date and can no longer hold charge
Many thanks
David

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back