battery meltdown

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by david and ann, Feb 2, 2011.

1. david and ann

david and ann Read Only Funster

Hi guys
    This will probably sound very basic but hope some one can help. yesterday while messing in my 2002 Benimar Fiat ducato jtd 2.8 in the drive the radio started to flash and wasn't playing music. I had to take out the radio and pull out to unplug and turn off. When i tried to start the engine all i got was nothing except one or two lights on the dash. I've checked all the fuses but not the box things(forgot name) next to them. I took the cables off the battery and have started to charge it using little 5 amp charger.
    The live connection on the battery (varta 100 amp 760 amp) connects via a threaded bolt post. On it is a plate with lots of other smaller connections. Is this a special type battery or a bog standard replacement ??
    I think the battery is taking a charge but would appreciate advice cos here in the hills above Alicante its hard getting reliable info
    Cheers David:Doh:

2. JJ

JJ Funster

Hi there David... was the van standing for a long time or have you been using it regularly?
    Is there any chance you left the radio on for a long time?
    How old is the battery?

Have/can you check the water levels in the battery?

Best case scenario (IMO) the radio/alarm has flattened the battery and a (long at 5amps) recharge will sort it...

Worse case scenario a dead battery (maybe, but not necessarily, caused by a short somewhere.) Sometimes batteries die suddenly...

JJ

PS. I am not an expert...

3. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi Dave I agree with JJ about you probably flattening the battery with the CD/radio and the charger should put things right :thumb:
    Should you need to replace the battery it is a bog standard 100amp 760 amp cold cranking type--- the cold cranking is the bit you need- try to get same size or close to it -760 cc or better still 800 cc amps -- 80/90/100 amps will be fine it is the cold cranking bit you need ,higher the better :thumb:
    terry

4. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

bog standard battery....the plate is for necessary additional connections instead of having loads of ring connectors on one clamp bolt.

5. david and ann

david and ann Read Only Funster

Thanks guys
    will take off charger this morning and see if battery has taken a charge. Thought 50 watt solar panel and elec plug in would keep battery ok.
    Think if it starts bus then battery must be past sell by date and can no longer hold charge
    Many thanks
    David