Battery disconnected - cab interior light comes on (1 Viewer)

Mar 27, 2024
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A70
Hi all..
I have had what appears to be a very common problem with the airbag ECU on my 2016 Ducato based MH.. With thanks to threads on here and various YouTube videos, I've got that out and am awaiting its return from Crash Data.. but having disconnected the negative terminal on my starter battery to remove it I noticed that the interior/door lights in the cab were still coming on. That err.. confused me!

Is it possible that the cab lights are running from the leisure battery? I have a battery master fitted and a solar panel on the van if any of that would make any difference.. I'm concerned that there might be a wider problem with the electrics that may have caused the ECU problem in the first place..

Thank you for any help!
Stu

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
Hi all..
I have had what appears to be a very common problem with the airbag ECU on my 2016 Ducato based MH.. With thanks to threads on here and various YouTube videos, I've got that out and am awaiting its return from Crash Data.. but having disconnected the negative terminal on my starter battery to remove it I noticed that the interior/door lights in the cab were still coming on. That err.. confused me!

Is it possible that the cab lights are running from the leisure battery? I have a battery master fitted and a solar panel on the van if any of that would make any difference.. I'm concerned that there might be a wider problem with the electrics that may have caused the ECU problem in the first place..

Thank you for any help!
Stu
hi i would assume you battery master is doing what it should and feeding the terminals of the engine battery

Upvote 0
Sep 11, 2020
Funster No
MH
Fiat Lunar
Exp
I’m a newbie
Try moving interior light switch to a different position and see if that work,s

Upvote 0
OP
OP
StuAFCB
Mar 27, 2024
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A70
i would take out the battery master fuse
I've just popped out to the van and tried - but the lights still come on..

I'm (probably obviously) no electrician... but having read that I need to reinstall the ECU with the battery disconnected, what I don't want to do is reconnect it if there's a current that might immediately break it again..

Upvote 0

Bobby-gg

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2020
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Ducato IH pvc
Exp
Since 2010
Have you got a multimeter?

Check to see if you still have voltage on the vans battery terminals - if you have, you've still got a feed from the leisure battery

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Just disconnect the hab battery.
If the light goes out then obviously the battery fed the light.
If it stays on the solar panel is still live.
Disconnect the panel at the solar regulator.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
StuAFCB
Mar 27, 2024
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A70
Have you got a multimeter?

Check to see if you still have voltage on the vans battery terminals - if you have, you've still got a feed from the leisure battery

Yes.. tested putting probes on each of the terminals (not posts - positive is connected to the post still, negative is disconnected) with it set up the same as I have it for checking the charge (DC voltage, 20 range) and there is voltage measured - reading fluctuates a bit..

Upvote 0
Apr 14, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey
If you have only disconnected the negative cable from the cab battery and have a battery master installed, it will probably still be picking up a negative via the chassis to the leisure battery. You will need to drop off both negatives (leisure as well) and then try again.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
StuAFCB
Mar 27, 2024
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A70
Just disconnect the hab battery.
If the light goes out then obviously the battery fed the light.
If it stays on the solar panel is still live.
Disconnect the panel at the solar regulator.
The van has two leisure batteries - one under the driver's seat and one under the sofa.. the battery master is connected to the one under the sofa - I assume I would I need to disconnect both but would the sequence matter?

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
The van has two leisure batteries - one under the driver's seat and one under the sofa.. the battery master is connected to the one under the sofa - I assume I would I need to disconnect both but would the sequence matter?
No.

To isolate completely you need to disconnect the van battery , both terminals, same on all lesiure batteries. Then remove fuses or disconnect both cables from the solar panels to controller as otherwise there will be a feed still.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
StuAFCB
Mar 27, 2024
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A70
I guess before I go to these lengths, the question I should be asking is if I am right to be worrying about reconnecting the ECU?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
StuAFCB
Mar 27, 2024
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A70
Disconnecting the battery master both positive and negative cables (with positive and negative marked tape) seems to have done the trick. There's now no voltage across the starter battery terminals, the lights don't come on and I feel comfortable to reinstall my airbag ECU. Just giving the starter battery a bit of a charge to make sure it's completely full before I do..

1000019709.jpg

Thank you everyone for your help and suggestions. I've got another stupid question to ask shortly but one thing at a time!
Stu

Upvote 0

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
Im not sure but i thought i read somewhere there is a set proceedure for reconecting after doing an air bag worth doing a search or someone who does know will say hopefully

Upvote 0
OP
OP
StuAFCB
Mar 27, 2024
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A70
Im not sure but i thought i read somewhere there is a set proceedure for reconecting after doing an air bag worth doing a search or someone who does know will say hopefully
I found a procedure for battery removal - https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/foru...y-top-up-or-removal-replacement-for-x290.370/ - not specific to the airbag ECU but referenced in that context.. I'd done everything it says more by luck/paranoia than judgement (other than opening the driver's window) but I will make a copy of those steps, add in the disconnection of the battery master and print them out to keep in the van for future reference. Might laminate them and stick them on the underside of the panel that covers the battery compartment...

Upvote 0
Sep 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
4 berth coachbuilt
There's now no voltage across the starter battery terminals, the lights don't come on and I feel comfortable to reinstall my airbag ECU
If you have not already reinstalled the Airbag ECU, then remember to leave the vehicle alone for an hour after disconnecting the engine battery - and then you can reinstall the aiibag ECU.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back