Battery Charging, 3 or 4 Step? Is there a great difference?

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by The Meerkat, Apr 22, 2009.

1. The Meerkat

The Meerkat Deleted User

Help please!!!!!!!!

As the outdoor season vastly approaches us, I was looking at redoing my "lectrics" on they old Eccles machine, would be looking to install an 18 amp charger and am still currently undecided whether it is best to go for a 3 stage or a 4 stage charger, as there is a credit crunch on at the moment any savings I could make would be most welcoming and any further knowledge would be most appreciated?

Is the 4 stage just a gimmick to squeeze more £ out of people or would it be better to take the hit, pay a little extra for something that would benefit me in the long run

I have had a look at a few on the web, and have came across a few at Aldis, Muvonics/Amperor Europe in Hull and as ever Maplin

Any guidance is appreciated

:thumb:

2. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

`Hi
    No, it's not a gimmick, four stage charging will optimise the life of your battery .. but if you only have one cheap FLA battery the extra cost of a 4 stage charger versus replacing the battery sooner has to be considered.

If on the other hand you have an expensive battery bank then it would be penny wise pound foolish to skimp on a charger..

3. Tony Lee

Tony Lee Read Only Funster

Depends on what type of batteries you have and also on exactly what they mean by 4-stage. Some manufacturers include the equalisation cycle as the fourth stage and that is irrelevant for Gel and most AGM. Some have a pulse "battery-saver" sequence as the fourth stage and that may also be irrelevant for all except flooded-cell type. There is no standard so will pay to check the charger specs against your battery requirements.