Battery can be a lethal device be aware (1 Viewer)

BettyBus

Free Member
Oct 9, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
14 years
today I set to replace a parallel pair of 110 ah deep cycle batteries for a couple of Duracell units
On a 2006 Ellegance I821 ther batteries are under the floor area but are also open to the habitation area ,the cheap existing batteries are named as sealed maintenance free ,wrong,these babies were gassing and as hot to the touch,ther is a misnomer here,sealed and maintenance free is misleading,,should a cell (6 in a 12 volt unit ) short out due to deposits bridging the plates internally,then the sophisticated charger see,s a under voltage and steps up to replenish the charge,however the the pair would never self repair so the charger continues to pump in more amps ,thus this heats up the electrolyte and eventually the battery gives of a nasty smelling odor and if not corrected a potential explosion ,or more likely head aches and nausea of the occupants .
The batteries were not fitted with external vents to pipe to the outside these gasses,a requirement in a internal location,so don't assume a nasty smell is grey water odor ,check your battery often ,and when replacing them check the vents exist and clear of debri

Mi58ck

Free Member
Aug 9, 2012
Worcester
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since august 2012
Had that bad smell on ours about 2 years ago,by chance I touched the battery (red hot).I then disconnected battery and went straight to dealer who replaced it.About 20 years ago I witnessed a car battery go up,it went about 15 foot in the air ,really scared.Dont take chances with batteries

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Had that bad smell on ours about 2 years ago,by chance I touched the battery (red hot).I then disconnected battery and went straight to dealer who replaced it.About 20 years ago I witnessed a car battery go up,it went about 15 foot in the air ,really scared.Dont take chances with batteries
You forgot to say that you stopped all charging and allowed the battery to cool and cease gassing before you
disconnected the battery:pray:
Either that or you had a death wish:Eeek:
G

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Beat me to it Geo :)
Always open all windows and doors and let stand for a lot longer than you think is safe !
Do not turn anything on or off during that time ( charging from mains.. unplug the EHU at the end furthest from the van ! )

Only then is it safe(ish) to turn things on or off in the van. And before removing the battery(s) make sure EVERYTHING is turned off..
The last thing you need is a spark from the terminal 'cos something is drawing current

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
One of the maintenance fitters told me that when he was doing his apprenticeship he was working on a grinder and somebody had put a 12volt car battery under the bench on charge unbeknown to him and it blew up and lifted the bench up when a spark fell on it ,he was very lucky he wasn't injured.

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
One of the maintenance fitters told me that when he was doing his apprenticeship he was working on a grinder and somebody had put a 12volt car battery under the bench on charge unbeknown to him and it blew up and lifted the bench up when a spark fell on it ,he was very lucky he wasn't injured.
I managed to do that many years ago when a battery was on charge and a stray grinding spark from a grinder caused the battery to explode.
Once I managed to get under the tap to wash off the acid I had to hose most of the workshop down as everything in there would have needed a respray.
Lesson learnt was that battery charging is something that should be done in complete isolation

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Sat down at my usual gents barbers for a trim and the guy looked terrible!!

Foot in a caster after falling 15 feet down a rock face. He was climbing it with trainers on, no harness etc, had slipped and fell onto the rocks at the bottom and broke his ankle!!! He had to limp with his mate some way back to their car to raise help!!!

He was also burnt from his battery exploding in his face, while recharging it in his kitchen. He quoted "I didn't know you shouldn't check the levels with a lighter"!!!!

Stopped using him after that!!!! :Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
I know Duracell are good batteries, but didn't know they could be used as leisure batteries!!!!
Cheers, Dave(y)
ps, a mate of mine had a narrow escape when a battery "went off" in his MGB a few years ago.....

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Once apone a time I was in the MT shed the Co was having his battery recharged in hi Roles Royce the driver disconnect the battery charger causing a spark
cuvering the hole place in battery shrapnel and acid
Left him with no sight and no face to talk of
The car dident come off to weel nether
I was sent with bicarbonate of soda
To mix with water to clean up the mess
I was amazed how far the asid had Ben thrown
I take grate care with batteries
Bill

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun