BASTARDS (1 Viewer)

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
At the risk of sounding loopy .. every few months a telephone rings in my mh .... comes from the speakers. No idea what it is and several funsters have failed to find it ... thank goodness they have been there when it happens. Someone said it might be a tracker but nobody can find it.

The phone is really loud and is like an office type ring. . Weird.

Don't know why I'm telling you this .. but it might help somebody in some strange way. X
Could it be a smart nav system Joy?
I had it in my first motorhome. Never used it but it did 'ring' occasionally.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
I havnt got a phone.. thats the point. It just rings out wherever it is hiding. Nobody can find it or any wiees. :)

Hi Joy, have you contacted the previous owner?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
H

I Vic thought of that .. will have a look when I get home. The new Road Tax system may only show the dealer I bought from .. I won't get anywhere there. :)
Previous owner name and address will be on the back of your V5 Joy.

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
Ah. Don't know. No built in sat nav. Thanks anyway.
Smart Nav is not a conventional satnav. It has no screen just a discreet button you push which connects you to an operator. You tell them where you want to go and they send you live, verbal instructions. The only two things I saw was a small button and a small speaker mounted behind the drivers seat.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
But you need a special tool....not a biro top.
I spent an interesting 10 minutes at a stand at the BMF show a few years ago opening all their locks !!
A group of us had complained the firm was selling them as super secure even though ( at the time ) it had been all over the internet how easy they were to 'pick' .. We wandered around the stalls doing demonstrations LOL !! We were NOT terribly popular

Oh,, and my special tool was a felt tip pen..............

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Smart Nav is not a conventional satnav. It has no screen just a discreet button you push which connects you to an operator. You tell them where you want to go and they send you live, verbal instructions. The only two things I saw was a small button and a small speaker mounted behind the drivers seat.

Thank you when I get to friends will show them your post and ask if they can help find it. Thank you.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Just possible a previous owner has hidden a mobile phone somewhere in your van Joy.
A phone can be used, with various apps, as a very basic tracker device.
Wired through a charger it will remain active until something breaks and the battery goes flat.

If so I suspect the random ringing could be a wrong number dialed....but that would be enough to keep the sim card active.

I was going to suggest that it was someone selling double glazing, offering PPI recovery or asking about the accident that you had within the last 3 years .... but then realised that the OP said that the phone only rang every few months, not every few days :)

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
If you call 1471 it will tell you who called :)

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
No you don't.

It might be easier with the tool but it's in no way essential to have one.
OK. Thats info I don't have. Perhaps you can point me to the video clip showing that. It may be useful when I lose the key.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Good to talk about how good or not trackers are but what about Bigfoot's Hymer.
Should the tracker talk be in its own thread.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
Good to talk about how good or not trackers are but what about Bigfoot's Hymer.
Should the tracker talk be in its own thread.

Bigfoot mentioned his tracker in his 2nd post

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Making it impossible to start with a £10 relay and hidden fuel cut off switch from Halfords would seem to be the most cost effective, easiest and logical security measure, plus some sort of visual deterrent to deter chancers. Now all I have to do is to find the blessed fuel cut off switch on my Ducato 2.3

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
Now all I have to do is to find the blessed fuel cut off switch on my Ducato 2.3
When you do perhaps you could let me know where it is so I can do the same. We both have the X290 chassis I believe.

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
@stevec I think I have located it, push button mechanical effort bolted into the passenger side (I believe) footwell, accessible from inside. (P68 of the manual)

I don't know (yet) if there any electrical connections to cut into (to be replaced with a switch)

To disable the fuel pump, in effect it would seem possible to switch F21 (15A) in the main (engine compartment) fuse box (according to P 165. However, Fiat are renowned for giving dodgy info on fuse layouts, so that needs to be checked. Trouble is this method is a bit messier than simply wiring a switch in series with the fuel cut off. Perhaps other Funsters may have a few ideas??

I won't be able to dig around for a few days, and will post up any result. Would be helpful if you get a chance before I do, for you to do the same

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I am just using a app to track my grand son he thinks I am following him everywhere just set it up on his mobile after @papajohn mentioned it you should see his face when I tell him exactly where he has Ben
Bill

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
@stevec I think I have located it, push button mechanical effort bolted into the passenger side (I believe) footwell, accessible from inside. (P68 of the manual)

I don't know (yet) if there any electrical connections to cut into (to be replaced with a switch)

To disable the fuel pump, in effect it would seem possible to switch F21 (15A) in the main (engine compartment) fuse box (according to P 165. However, Fiat are renowned for giving dodgy info on fuse layouts, so that needs to be checked. Trouble is this method is a bit messier than simply wiring a switch in series with the fuel cut off. Perhaps other Funsters may have a few ideas??

I won't be able to dig around for a few days, and will post up any result. Would be helpful if you get a chance before I do, for you to do the same
Simple method that avoids any damage to van wiring is to replace the fuse with two male blades wired out to an in-line fuse & switch.

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
@tonyidle Thanks, then I reckon there are two choices here, either cut in series with the fuel solenoid valve (presumably that is the one in the passenger footwell) or do as you suggested (probably best to keep some sort of inline fuse in place)

merick

Free Member
Jan 26, 2012
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Roller Team T line 590
Exp
since 2000
Hi Bigfoot,
So sorry to hear about the theft of your pride and joy from in front of the house. I do hope the van is found safe and sound, we heard about it last night at the Wirral M/home club meeting. We can only begin to imagine how you feel and are thoughts are with you.
Richard & Meriel
Merick

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
Yes , I know he mentioned his tracker but out of the 12 pages , how many actually are about the motorhome theft and hopefully return.
I'm sure people taking about how good or not security devices are , won't help Bigfoot.

I don't know why you quoted me answering your post............ I started a different thread about trackers

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back