Barcelona Show October 2016

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Henry y Min, Apr 21, 2016.

1. Henry y Min

Henry y Min Funster

Hi

We are just trying to work out if (as we live in Spain) it is worth us driving to Barcelona for the Motorhome and Caravan Show in October this year or is the NEC in the UK better? From what we have seen regarding the Barcelona show in 2014 (they are held every 2 years) it was mostly caravans and we do not want to drive nearly 7 hours to Barcelona and staying a couple of days there in an expensive hotel if it is not really worth it in comparison to the UK show. Many thanks for any help. Henry & Min

2. BMStewart2004

BMStewart2004 Funster

Fly to Dusseldorf for the show there at the end of August if there are flights from near you. Looks the business.

• Like Like x 1
  3. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

As above.

NEC hardly worth travelling from some places in the UK never mind Spain.

Martin

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Henry y Min

Henry y Min Funster

Looks like it is Dusseldorf then- we are looking at possibly importing a motorhome into Spain from Germany anyway for that looks like a good option. Many thanks

5. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

As you live in Spain not much point in going to the NEC, it will be mostly British built vans and the importers do not import all of their ranges to the UK. IMO there is only one show worth visiting and that is Caravan Salon at Dusseldorf.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Henry y Min

Henry y Min Funster

Many thanks for your help. Just looking at getting flights, hotel etc sorted for the Dusseldorf show. Regards Henry & Min

7. elamessa

elamessa Funster

Another alternative is the Paris show at Le Bourget not quite as big as Dusseldorf but all the major players are there.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

You'll be hard pushed to beat Dusseldorf to see lots of European MHs but do your research on models that you like and don't just buy one there as you could get a good discount afterwards, one member on here uses a dealer in Germany I believe and gets a very good deal by doing so, others too.

Make sure you're well versed in the rules/regs for importing beforehand so you don't get any nasty (expensive!) surprises.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Henry y Min

Henry y Min Funster

Many thanks for the information. We will not be buying one at the show (don't want to waste a Ryanair flight ticket back to Spain!!!!) seriously we will be opening a couple of days at the show as like other shows (not MH) we have been to there will be all sorts of dealers and exporters who are able to assist especially as it will be near the end of the main summer season so hopefully some deals can be made later in September or October. Thanks again

• Like Like x 1
  10. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Spain has a luxury goods import tax of 10%, I helped one member import a van to the UK he registered at a friends address, then just a case of registering in Spain after 6 months or 6000km to avoid the tax, also UK VAT is lower.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Henry y Min

Henry y Min Funster

Many thanks for that - yes Spain's tax depends on the region. Thankfully we have lived here for 5 years and will still be once we buy our MH but as we are not in a major rush to buy anything yet so will be looking into all the pros and cons of our various options. I have found some very large German dealers (new and nearly new) who export to Spain and do all the paperwork so that is also an option. Thanks again for the advice - very much appreciated.

12. BMStewart2004

BMStewart2004 Funster

See you in Düsseldorf then! I'll be the Scot checking everything out with the bored looking wife (y)

• Like Like x 1
  13. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

Leo at http://www.hispavan.com/ will do importation if you buy privately. Does an excellent job plus you wouldn't have to take it past the itv station at Lorca as that is where he gets all his done even though he is based on the Antas industrial estate , Vera.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. tomlowry07

tomlowry07 Funster

Hi there,

I bought a new motorhome from Dusseldorf last year. Dealer was campirama Belgium. They undercut all the german dealers. If you import into Spain you will have to pay Luxury goods tax on a new vehicle. I imported mine to uk and i Live in spain. No issues yet with Police, as I have a uk licence :)
    When MOT comes around I will then maybe import to Spain. No Luxury Duty on Second hand ( I think)

Tom

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. tomlowry07

tomlowry07 Funster

oop, just decided to read other posts. Yep It was Lenny that assisted me. easy peasy.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. Henry y Min

Henry y Min Funster

OK thanks for the information - we have Spanish licences so not sure on that issue but something else to think about.

17. Henry y Min

Henry y Min Funster

We have just made a big mistake by booking RyanAir to what they call Dusseldorf airport - it is a €130 taxi drive to Dusseldorf as our flight gets in late and no public transport from Weeze airport (NOT Dusseldorf as they claim when booking) but then that is RyanAir!!!!:cry::cry:

18. tomlowry07

tomlowry07 Funster

hire a car.

19. Henry y Min

Henry y Min Funster

Looked at that thanks but the car hire desks seem to close at 23:00 and our flight gets in at 22:55!! Also the price with the smallest car works out with all the insurances more than the 1 way taxi - going to be a expensive trip - but then I guess that must be joys of getting a motorhome!!!

20. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

If you have it in writing that this is Dusseldorf then surely you can claim a refund from them?