Bad hips but gonna travel!!!

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by ponyboy, Jun 7, 2014.

1. ponyboy

ponyboy Read Only Funster

Ok - that’s it, we’re done with the Aussie winter. It’s howling a gale outside, wild winds getting channeled in from Storm Bay and whipping up whitecaps down below our rental place here in Opossum Bay in Tasmania. Just one more job to do before we head back to the Auvergne to pick up Jinksy and continue with The Motorhoming Life Nomadic. If the ‘job’ (second hip replacement) goes according to plan then we should be aboard the MV Matisse container ship in early August and sailing from Melbourne to Rotterdam for a September arrival. From there it’s just a short hop to where the camper is. The first op went well and Madame Ponyboy has been doing all the exercises ordered by the physio and is now getting about without the crutches so hopefully next wednesday’s appointment with the surgeon will go equally well and she’ll have eight weeks to recover before we sail. Me - I’m getting my nurses uniform back out of the wardrobe to be starched and ready for use for when she gets back from hospital, It’ll be TLC all the way and hopefully we’ll be back on the road and meeting up with Funsters once again, albeit a bit later in the season.
    Cheers from Ponyboy

• Like Like x 5
  2. Mathilde

Mathilde Funster

Hi there. We live in Perth and will be off mid July to Europe. We have stored our motorhome in England in an undercover storage facility since 2010. Often thought about leaving her in France somewhere and wonder if you recommend where you leave yours.
    Good luck with the op and the trip across.

3. ponyboy

Hiya Mathilde, we've got a friend in the Auvergne who has a barn which is exactly the size of Jinksy and who has very kindly lets us use it. How long are you planning to be in Europe and where are you thinking of going?
    I have seen ads in France for over-wintering MHs - have a google - i think it's called "hibernation"

4. Mathilde

Mathilde Funster

We go for 3 months each year and have spent a lot of time in France - we use a mix of France Passion farm stays & campsites. Switzerland is another favourite. We are still tossing up whether to tour Norway & Sweden this year or go South to Croatia. One issue we have is with motorhome insurance. Not being resident in the UK, we have only found one company which will insure us "Downunder Insurance" - very very expensive. 1300 pounds per year.

5. mikebeaches

mikebeaches Funster

Trust the operation will be a success and good luck with your trip - hope it all works out OK. :thumb:

Mike

• Like Like x 1
  6. ponyboy

yeah we've been forced to go with down under as well, it always amuses me to see the funsters whinging about having to pay a quarter of what we pay for insurance but i guess the alternative is not being out on the road and at the end of the day THAT's not an option. keep me posted on your travels and hopefully we can meet up sometime.

• Like Like x 1
  7. trophychap

trophychap Funster

It's not called 'hibernation' LOL

It's 'hivernage' or 'garage mort' usually !

8. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

Don't know if you have noticed but at the moment the uses for WD40 is right below this bad hips one.

Sorry:Smile:

Well it was when I posted,

Martin

Last edited: Jun 7, 2014
  9. ponyboy

ha ha - well spotted Martin, very funny