Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Poole Dorset
Funster No
MH
CB 6.5 metres
Exp
About 15yrs plus early years in caravan & cruiser
Just returned from Spain, via Somport (free tunnel) and up the west coast of France to St Malo. Spent several nights at Capbretton at 6E including electricity, Blaye adjacent to the Citidel on large area over looking the Girone (Cockle shell hero's fame) quiet and free, next Nozey on side of Lac at 5E including electricity, finally on the Super U carpark official motorhome aire at Concale with facilities- no electricity but free and quiet. Diesel prices in Spain from 1.02E, France 1.08 to 1.12E /ltr.
Did notice this trip the channel crossings had increased on recent years, possibly by at least 20%. In our case St Malo- Poole £200 one way, mind you it is still less cost than the Dover run where the extra mileage plays a big part at £23/100 miles.
On some of the campsites in Spain there was increased talk this time on the robbers activity near Barcelona where stones thrown from a passing car and hitting your van forces you to stop and deal with the culprits, the other members of the car occupants then dive into the van and steal what is handy in some cases pushing the wives out of the way to grab hand bags etc. The wife should always have the camera on view to any passing car to scare off any possible attacks. Fortunately I tend to use the routes to the tunnels to lessen the total mileage to the channel ports and to avoid Barcelona.
Hope this information is of use to some.
Ron W

neilmac

Free Member
Nov 24, 2008
UK, France & Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2nd year
Has anyone ever managed to get a photo of one of these much talked about bandits on the road around Barcelona? I'm not doubting there are dodgy characters about but with the same old campfire stories doing the rounds there must be someone who's snapped 'em.

Great advice about keeping a camera handy and these days that's so easy with mobile phones being able to do the job.

Anyone got a photo?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Doddy999

Free Member
May 3, 2010
Exeter Devon
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8/5/2010
When I was a tour driver Barca was always a place to be wary of, most coach drivers will tell you, the Spanish Itinerants we called them would have a kid stand by the traffic lights
then when a foriegn coach would pull up they would gesture there was a problem with
the coach.
I had a Dutch coach in front of me when the driver got out to see what he was doing the kid in a flash was on the coach, coat on his seat & briefcase taken before he knew
anything about it :Eeek: Driver said all his money cards & passport taken.
I never left anything in view & with being a right hand drive made it a bit more difficult
for the thieves.

Just be vigilant it can happen anywhere.

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
The wife with camera will be our first line of defence if we come across one of these 'Fairy Stories' but thanks for the information you never know do you?

Mick

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back