Awnings - What to get?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Accessories' started by Dave and Ginny, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny Funster

Hi all

I can see a few threads running here on awnings but none really hitting the few questions I have.

I want something to give us that bit more space for longer stays, hopefully Benidorm this coming winter. Currently have an F45ti which is 3.5 wide on our Hymer B544 for which we have a Lillypad safari room which is great, but I'm thinking maybe not be enough for an extended stay, great as a sunblocker is for keeping a bit of wind and rain at bay, I'm not up for leaving it out when the wind gets up! Which also puts me off the Fiamma Privacy room somewhat plus the weight and space.

Not really wanting a drive a way either, liking the more traditional look of a lean too style awning. Now to the questions...:rolleyes:

The track on the Fiamma is 4mm?

All awnings I'm seeing advertised seem to be either 280 or 390 wide. I would need a 280 then but would prefer to be able to step out of van into awning which I'm thinking will not be possible as my door opening is less than 1/2 metre from the end of the awning track?

And finally, I'm fairly restricted space wise for storage. Do the advantages of the inflatable awning far outweigh the traditional pole type in terms of weight and space packed?

I've had loads of awnings as a 'tugger' and I may be looking at this for a motorhome all wrong...do tell me ;)

Many thanks, Dave

• Like Like x 1
  2. mjltigger

mjltigger Funster

I'm with you. I don't know either and now we have the pup Ms Tiggs wants some inside outside space. No idea what good it's gonna do us on an aire or in a bloody layby though..

I also have a sliding door being a PVC so think that adds to the complexity.. mind you I don't have an awning or rail at the moment so I guess I could fit it wherever it needs to be

• Like Like x 1
  3. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Mikeco

Mikeco Funster

We will be using the panel van for 5 months in winter and as we are towing a car we will use a caravan type awning which will fit into the Fiamma awning. The awning we are using has both sizes of bead as we had the smaller one for the Fiamma sewn on a few years ago. I have also fitted a awning channel on the bottom of the van so we can slide the skirt on as well.

Mike

• Like Like x 1
  5. Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny Funster

That's a good point, a skirt I hadn't thought about that one! o_O

6. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

You can put the awning anywhere on the awning rail so could place it so it covers your door.

Inflatable awnings can actually be quite bulky and heavy when packed away, especially if you get the ones with the sewn in ground sheet as they are then one large unit, rather than in 2 parts (material and poles) which can be easier to store. I did notice there's a new model out by Vango now called the Idris which is similar to the Kela but has a detachable ground sheet, and doesn't come with the bedroom pod as standard so is cheaper too.

One thing to be aware of though is that some people have used the airbeam type awnings for a long term stay and problems which have then developed have not been covered by warranty as apparently they are not mean to be used in this way!

Personally, I'd stick with a pole awning for long term use as once it's up it doesn't matter which you have and they are quite a bit cheaper and don't appear to fall foul of the 'long term' use warranty scenario.

If you do intend to move your MH though whilst away I'd suggest you reconsider a drive away awning to avoid having to put everything away, take down your awning, then when you return put it all back up/in again.

7. mjltigger

mjltigger Funster

I get so lost perhaps I can tell you what we need. When we were huggers we had an awning with bedroom extensions.. it could take 4 - each end and the front 2 bay's.. these added on independently and we could take what we needed depending on how many kids came with us.. we really want a drive away that has similar flexibility.. a bit of an extension when it's just us, but we can add the bedrooms as we need them.. we have a Renault master xlwb PVC with the side sliding door still in use..

• Like Like x 1
  8. Minxy Girl

Outdoor Revolution do a Movelite XLF drive away awning which can have a bedroom annex attached and comes with one ... you can probably add another if needed. You can also buy a universal awning annex too which you could use with other drive away awnings.

http://www.outdoor-revolution.com/movelite-xlf-family.html

9. mjltigger

mjltigger Funster

@Johns_Cross_Motorhomes has this one too.. I think it is just the one bedroom though and we have 4 kids who all need their own space.. we have one of these but it is old and needs replacing.. plus it doesn't attach meaning we sometimes get charged as 2 units and we get wet if it rains
    [​IMG]

10. Minxy Girl

... I think that's called .... a TENT! :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

We have a movelite xlf that we used a couple of times.. it's big enough and has two double bedrooms in the bedroom pod. If you are looking for one you could have this for £60 ... it's got the carpet too I think. It attaches either to your awning channel or by straps over the top

12. mjltigger

mjltigger Funster

Lol yep.. legacy of our pre tugger days.. hence worn out.. only used once a year these days which is why we don't want a massive fixed awning to replace it.

13. Minxy Girl

You can buy a second annex to attach to the other side giving you 2 bedrooms

14. Pete D.

Pete D. Funster

I bought a Ventura Cumulus drive away awning (made by Isabella, the caravan awning people) this year and took it to France. We found the fact that it is stand alone really useful. When the weather was fine we pitched the awning about 4ft from the moho, wound out the fiamma awning and attached to the rail. This gave us the separate awning space and a 4ft tunnel for storage of the kids bikes, scooters etc. We have used it in the UK pitched approx 18ins from the van and used the tunnel to walk directly into the awning from the Moho to keep the mud and such out. Like all good awnings it has some weight to it but the benefits out weigh the drawbacks.

• Like Like x 2
  15. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

That's clever!

16. Teasy2007

Teasy2007 Funster

Hi, we have had Kampa pole 390 awnings, Kampa air 330, and Isabella Minor, we found problems with all of them, mostly to do with weight, problems putting them up and even more problems when strong winds blew them down, or away.

We have just bought one of the new Quest easy-up awnings, it arrived this morning. We decided to try it and within 5 mins it was out of the box and erected on the lawn, we have never had an awning which was so quick and easy. It was just like being in the Windblocker but even better, with the real advantage of being able to take down as easily as it was to put up!

We want it for long term use in Spain to keep us out of the wind and rain, or sun - from whatever element we need relief. We hope it stands up to the weather ok and feel that it was £159 well spent.

Ginny

• Like Like x 1
  17. Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny Funster

Hi Ginny and Mike, @Teasy2007, just had a look at the Quest on utube, looks really easy and great value for money. Hope to see you both about in Spain later this year/ next.

Dave and Ginny

• Like Like x 1
  18. RGR723

RGR723 Funster

Hi Teasy2007, reading a this relatively old forum and saw your report about the Quest 'easy up' did it stand muster, and are you still pleased with it?
    Ray

19. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

If you want Ginny to see and react to your question you need to put "@" in front of name so it highlights. You should get the name pop up once you start typing. Then that person gets an alert.... :) @RGR723

• Informative Informative x 2
  20. Mr Ed

Mr Ed Funster

@Teasy2007

• Like Like x 1