Awning Hold Down Straps

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Clickem, Apr 2, 2015.

1. Clickem

Clickem Funster

Hi

Hoping to get the benefit of some experienced advice here. Damaged my awning in a rain storm last year, so hoping to get it right this year

We have a Thule Omnistor 4900, 3.5 metre awning that needs some hold down straps. Thule offer a side strap kit that clips into the top of the support poles, but our poles are different and do not have the clips on

http://www.thule.com/en/gb/products...old-down-side-strap-kit-_-productgroup_197094

The Thule alternative seems to be a strap that threads over the telescopic support arms, but it looks a bit crude

http://www.thule.com/en/gb/products...ies/thule-hold-down-kit-_-productgroup_197095

I was wondering about these from Parrotsol, which are claimed to fit into the front groove of the awning, and look neat with a ratchet tightener

http://www.parrotsol.co.uk/index_files/Page586.htm

Any advice, good or bad about these methods would be appreciated

TIA

Pat

2. Mikey RV

Mikey RV Funster

Faimma also do some, mine slide in the front of sunshade there is a groove there. We do use them when a small breeze but any strong winds allways take the shade in, it's too much money to replace and can damage van. I have seen some flapping like demented bird and then flip right over the van peaple still sat in the van. :eek:Only takes a couple of minutes to take in so why risk it. (y)

3. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Never heard of parrotsol but i have the same thing made by lillipad leisure.

Definately the best option but a heavy spring at one end will allow a little movement and prevent overtightening and damage to the legs.
    you will also need long heavy duty stakes.....i have seen some anchored with tent pegs, might as well put the strap under a house brick for what good tent pegs do.

4. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

Are you sure your poles are different?

We bought the Omnisor straps and at first thought I had been done, couldn't see where to attach them, the little z shaped clips fit into barely obvious openings on the top of the legs

5. Clickem

Clickem Funster

Top of poles look like this

Attached Files:

6. Neckender

Neckender Funster

7. kaasbroodje

kaasbroodje Funster

We have the straps, spring and large pegs, it will stop the awning flipping onto the van but I'm sure it does the canopy fabric no good (stretches it).

Anything other than light breeze, we now wind it in and always before bed. Can't stand the flapping !

8. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

The strap we have clips into the outside of the pole so I cant see from that photo

Just packing for Chester right now so cant easily get you a photo but will try while away (y)

9. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

We have the Fiamma kit.. Works well and is an extra handy place to fix solar lights

10. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Once you witness one over the roof of a van and the damage it can do to both awning and bodywork, you will never again contemplate leaving it out when it gets windy..

If it needs tie down straps, it's time to get it in..

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
  11. rosalan

rosalan Funster

Some tie down straps clip (slide) into the front edge of the awning and some clip into the top of the pole.
    Like many others, if there looks like wind coming, I take the awning down or wind it in, Damage could exceed reasonable costs.
    I see several people throw a strap over the awning and peg it down either side or feed it through the top of the inner support bars. I would worry about the damage to the fabric but I guess that is their decision.

Alan

12. Clickem

Clickem Funster

Thanks for that, I would like to use Side Straps if possible, they look neater, no hurry. Have a good w/end