Avoiding all narrow lanes

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Sekliw, May 30, 2016.

1. Sekliw

Sekliw

I've just bought and returned an expensive Garmin Camper sat nave because it continued to send me down narrow lanes. I hat getting scratches and want to stick on main roads whenever possible. Do ANY sat navs avoid single track roads? Going to Ireland in a month and happy to buy an alt native if it works! Thank you- in advance!

2. Speve

Speve Funster

Lots of narrow roads over there! I think you'll find it's how you set the settings on navigation that dictates the route but most sat nav's make mistakes.

3. canopus

canopus Funster Life Member

Snooper seems to take account of the size of your vehicle, so one would assume it does avoid narrow lanes. Still have a Garmin and got sick of it doing the same. In addition, it never sent you the same way twice when avoiding delays i.e. when the roadworks were on the M1 near Luton a few years back :mad:

4. Glandwr

Glandwr Funster

You'll miss an awful lot if you restrict yourself to the highway

Dick (

• Like Like x 4
  5. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

My Pioneer one hasn't let me down so far.

6. Dave K

Dave K Funster

I use a sat nav for traffic info and general direction but if I'm going to a specific point I also write down directions as a back up, and never go off the main road, a sat nav will try and take you through all sorts of lanes and tracks as a 'shortcut' when the truth is you'll get there quicker on a A road doing 50 mph when you're in a motorhome, the sat nav will soon re adjust its course

7. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

If a single track road is the ONLY road going to a site.. or to get from A to B .. how else could it navigate you there ?

and if you stick to main roads you won't find many camp sites.. and the ones you do find will suffer from traffic noise..

I use a standard Garmin with the setting on 'fastest route'.. which means in uses the main A roads and M ways whenever possible.. but if a site is down a single track road it will take you down it..

to be 100% sure check the route on a map before committing to it ..

if that doesn't appeal.. then use Garmin Base Camp.. you can then plot and manage the route to suit YOU.. not Mr Garmin.

Last edited: May 30, 2016
    • Like Like x 3
  8. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I agree - though, after using several car sat navs we use a Garmin Camper 760 LMT-D as our main sat nav in the van and I am currently comparing it to a couple of others. See Here.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. ianandkath

ianandkath Funster

my chinise truck one has sent me down some small roads, but that is cos its the only way there.
    check with a road map if there is a differnt way as well, thats what we do

• Like Like x 1
  10. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

if you use a truck satnav set the dimensions of your motorhome larger than they really are

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  11. Brisey

Brisey Funster Life Member

A good tip from The Big 1. We do this on our Garmin Camper 760 LMT-D, no problems reaching our destinations so far both in the UK and in Spain.
    Brisey.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

Yes, but I'm afraid it's called the Driver!
    I'm happy with a Garmin Dezl 560 Truck satnav but it still sends me down small roads when that is the most appropriate / only way to the destination. The satnav can only base its guidance on what is recorded in the mapping database; if no 'truck' data is held for a particular road, then the satnav cannot take account of it.
    Always worth remembering that HGV drivers go along many roads with big vehicles where motorhomers might fear to drive, so one person's narrow road may be another's normal route.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Not just HGV drivers. In Norfolk last year we found several "challenging" roads which were bus routes.

• Like Like x 1
  14. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

Just to prove that a truck satnav does not always get it right, our Garmin chose a wholly inappropriate route a few months ago to get us from Llandovery to the C&CC site just to the north. It was a cheek-clenching half-hour as we negotiated what seemed like miles of single-track roads with steep inclines and a railway viaduct under repair! There was a perfectly good alternative that, for some reason, it ignored completely. It was my fault - I should have turned back as soon as I sensed we were going in the wrong direction.
    https://goo.gl/maps/gDqie6yFzDr

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. scotjimland

.. like the B class road to our village.. double deck busses and coaches, 40 ton HGV artic lorries, farm machinery .. and I find it tight with the Hymer.. especially when you meet said vehicles coming toward you .. :eek:

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. EX51SSS

EX51SSS Funster

Garmin 660 camper and set at wider and longer and works a treat. Even set it to artic with 14' 6'' height , 55' long and 9' wide and 44 tonnes and works 100%. The only other sat Nav that worked as good was a Chinese one but its too big. I've tried Tom Tom and snooper and garmin are far better (Hello!!!!! In my opinion) and apparently can be obtained at £139.99 at Aldi but I paid £199.99 and with the results I've had and accuracy, I'd have happily paid Garmins price (which weirdly enough is cheaper than Amazon)

17. scotjimland

Cynghordy viaduct.. ?

was there last year... staying at Eileen's excellent CS site .. Cwmcuttan http://www.cwmcuttan.com/index.html

18. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

@Sekliw
    "Do any satnavs avoid satnavs avoid single track roads"

No

• Like Like x 1
  19. airwave

airwave Funster

I don't trust sat nav , being old school i still use map's . I've got over 30 year's experience as a heavy truck driver , of our road system . That include's town's , old road's that have been by passed , road junction's , bridge's , weight limit's , and 90 percent of speed camera location's (even pot hole's in some road's lol) .
    Now that said , i have used so called truck sat nav's , input the size and weight , of the vehicle and away you go . But to be honest , i've not been impressed enough to shell out 300/400 quid for one . I've lost count of the amount of time's , While driving a 65 ft , 44 ton truck , i've had them try and send me over a bridge's with a 7.5 ton limit , through town's with narrow road's , and turn right when it's not a legal move . Comically , i've even completed a trip that was 30 mile shorter , and nearly 3/4 of an hour quicker , than a gps .
    They are however , useful , i wouldn't ever totally rely on one . Personally , i would only use one aboard , and that would be with map's as a back up .
    Though old habit's die hard , i would probably resort back to a paper map completely .

• Like Like x 2
  20. MicknPat

MicknPat Funster

Think the problem is, who decides how narrow a narrow lane is and of course trees and hedges grow but are not always trimmed.

• Like Like x 1