Autotrail\Sargent battery problem

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by SteveB123, Mar 18, 2016.

1. SteveB123

SteveB123 Funster

I have been wild camping a few times and twice the cab battery has gone flat. I read somewhere if the cab battery is the active battery being charged when you leave a site then EC 500 control panel will keep cab battery as the active battery with no low battery warning until 10.9v - which I consider to be too late as its flat. After reading the Sargent manual I noticed one of the settings on the control panel is to change between a Fiat cab or a Peugeot cab, the difference being Peugeot insist on a warning at 12.4v and Fiat 10.9v. I have now changed the setting to Peugeot and tested it and it works fine. I get a warning before the cab battery is flat. Has anyone else come across this problem and am I doing the right thing.

Thankyou.

2. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

The alarm will go off quite quickly at 12.4 volts as it will measure the voltage under load so switching anything on when you're not on hook up will trigger the warning. Seems a good idea to me unless you deliberately want to draw from the cab battery.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Neckender

Neckender Funster

The alarm was going off all the time on our 2014 Peugeot boxer based van, I did the opposite and set the panel to Fiat, never had a flat cab battery.

John.

4. colmorangie

colmorangie Funster

It is a Mad set up and the last owner of our van suffered. I bought a pair of long jump leads from halfords that reach from the leisure to the cab and put them in the empty space under the wardrobe so I forget about them until I need them...........

5. SteveB123

SteveB123 Funster

I use the hab batteries all the time so its more of a warning that the EC500 has switched on to cab battery. Remember if your alarm goes now its too late it won't start.