Free Member
Nov 22, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
18yrs
Hi We have only just managed to successfully log onto this site. Jim and Maria who brought our scooter rack told us about it.
We have a 3 yr Dethleffs Esprit 6 wheeler A class, which is great but it gets stuck on the slightest wet grass which is a pain, it We have grip mats which we put down, but as we are hoping to take off to Europe for 3 months and use basic sites.
We thought we may exchange it for an Grande Frontier, which we would like to buy through a dealer, as it is rear wheel drive. The Dethleffs is our 5th motorhome over nearly 20yrs and we have never experienced this with any other motorhome. Dethleffs owners club can't offer any reason why this should be.
Comments and if any one knows of any dealer with the above for sale would be much appreciated.
Regards Peter & Glynis

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
Peter

Grand Frontier is not a motorhome I would buy as also many others would not.

Do a search and judge for yourself but here is two

Link Removed

Link Removed

potjoe

Free Member
Aug 27, 2007
Telford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
two year
oh no!

Hi, We had one well for 20 miles and took it back No thank you.:cry::cry::cry:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
If your basically happy with the van, why change, expensive when maybe some cut down bread trays would solve the problem

Peter

Daviec

Free Member
Feb 9, 2011
Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2007
Silverdreamers go with your head as well as your heart! I actually have had good experience with the Grande Frontier that we bought as a one year old vehicle back in 2007, my wife and I loved the layout and the fact that it was on a Mercedes chassis appealed to me. I know exactly what you mean about the lack of traction from front wheel drive vehicles as I bought a new Fiat based Swift Voyager for our son in 2008 and it does not like wet grass at all, let alone mud or snow! And that is without a tag axle. The GF behaves very well on these surfaces especially given the small wheels.

I must admit that we bought the GF very much on impulse after being recommended to Spinney Motorhomes, they had a vast display but the GF attracted us and we did the deal after a test drive and some bargaining without doing any research. So after taking delivery and looking more closely at the build it did concern me that I had to replace the screws in a number of the hinges and generally "sort" things, reading the postings about this model at first did nothing for my confidence, but as others have said very few (virtually none) have owned one for any length of time, and most are based on "Chinese Whispers".

We have done some 21,000 mls now, mainly in France, and have had no problems with the vehicle at all. During our first trip to France we met another GF owner who had experienced problems with his at first but it was soon sorted by Autotrail, all I can say is that almost all new models have teething issues and it can sometimes be a case of "the luck of the draw".

I like the vehicle so much that I have fitted just about every option available to tailor it to our needs/taste, and I would not do that if it was at all unreliable. We considered changing last year for a larger Carthago or Concorde but was put off by the lack of a passenger or drivers door, just having one habitation door seems a risky layout to me, so we decided to stick with the GF as we cannot see anything that appeals to us.
Can't help with one for sale but can advise that you ignore those without actual experience!
Hope this helps.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Wet grass holds the same traction property as ICE/SNOW!

So drive as if you are on ice/snow and you will be fine. There are other means of gaining traction, but your best friend is MOMENTUM.

When siting, go straight to your pitch without stopping - even if that means walking the route first. When you get there, pull out you ramps/trays/mats.

I always advise backing onto the ramps - even just one level, to keep your wheels from sinking. I f ou do this on the rear (although not driven wheels) ot will give you Momentum when ou leave the pitch. Matts/trays under the frnt will spread the weight, and stop the wheels sinking. I a heacy vehicle - consider off road sand ladders/waffle baords - far more suitable!

When you leave, have someone stay behind and collect the ramps etc. Drive away and keep going until you reach firm ground. With waffles, you can tie them to the back of the van and drag them along behind!

Dalek

Free Member
Apr 26, 2010
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Roller Team 600
Exp
18 months
The original post was Feb 2010 so they may or may not of kept it

Dale

Join us or log in to post a reply.