Autoroller 700 plated weight

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by e20rod, May 28, 2010.

1. e20rod

e20rod Read Only Funster

Our Autoroller 700 is advertised, and its states in the documentation, that the Gross Vehicle Mass (think that's the correct terminology!) is 3850kg. The registration document also states this. However, the plates on the vehicle itself say 3500kg. This is both the Ford plate and the Trigano fitted one. The only difference between the two plates is the train weight, which is 6200kg on the Ford plate and 4700kg on the Trigano plate.

So what's going on? Any other Autoroller 700 (or any twin rear wheel transit version) owners out there like to check to see if theirs is similar?

Cheers,

Rod.

2. Robinhood

Robinhood Read Only Funster

It's not unknown for such things to happen.

There are advantages (particularly in Europe) in having a vehicle plated at 3500kg, and there have been instances before of such a plate arriving on an import which is sold in the UK at 3850kg.

I assume you need the extra 350kg payload. If so, check there isn't a 3rd plate on the vehicle at 3850kg (sounds like there isn't), and if not, insist on the dealer having a replacement plate provided by Autoroller (assuming it was not bought privately).

3. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

i agree with robinhood,

get the dealer to sort it.
    if it does state 3850kg on the V5 then that is the weight that is recorded at DVLA.
    to confirm this have a look at your tax disc....it should say PHGV or PHG and will cost £165.
    if it didnt have a weight listed then DVLA have no record of the Gross weight and that is where the problems start.

there should be a second or even third plate somewhere stating 3850kg.

my kontiki has 3 plates...fiat, alko and swift, the last two are 3850kg and the fiat is 3500kg.

i got andy at swiftgroup to sort mine as it was registered as 3500kg and taxed as PLG (£185 at the time).

its quite normal for the train weight to be reduced if the gross has been increased but to reduce from 6200kg to 4700kg thats a 1500kg reduction :Eeek:and means you can only tow a trailer weighing 850kg...a bit excessive to me.
    are you sure its not 5700kg ?

mine was reduced from 2000kg to 1650kg... the same as the uprate...350kg.

4. e20rod

e20rod Read Only Funster

Its definitely 4700kg. Looking at the weights of other models in the range, I now suspect that its got a plate from a single rear wheel model. They have a gross weight of 3500kg and a towing limit of 1200kg which equates to the train weight of 4700kg.

I think, as suggested, I'll call the dealer!

Cheers,

Rod.

5. bevo

bevo Read Only Funster

weight plate

hi
    mine is exactly the same, no other plates anywhere.
    but as stated i use it to my advantage in europe when there is a 3.5 tonn weight limit.

6. vwalan

vwalan Funster

doesnt make any sense to lower the train wt if you higher the gvw. train is train . do know if you lower the gvw you can keep the original train wt. that makes sense .

7. pappajohn

hi Alan,
    couldnt agree more but it appears to be the way DVLA do things...

my train was reduced by 350kg when the gross was uprated to 3850kg but as the new log book doesnt show a train weight i 'forgot' to place the new, Alko supplied, vin plate over the original Alko plate.

read HERE for the whole tale.

and HERE for the update

8. vwalan

vwalan Funster

john ,all it should take is a visit to your local dvla. as the alko plate and swift show the higher gvw .alko show 5500 as train . here i would visit the office at truro say its wrong . someone would come out look see that alko and swift give it 3.8 then get swansea to issue a new log book .
    i do voluntary lowering through them and sometimes have to up rate using the reversal if neccesary .
    the latest is dropping over 3.5 ton units for over 70,s so they dont need a medical. the trucks keep the original train but can now be driven on b+e licence.even at 9.6 ton.
    even our local traffic examiner for vosa thinks its a joke .
    even worse as if you are in a private truck pulling over 7.5 you should have a tacho and use it and abide with drivers hours etc.
    also checks are going on for private run vehicles with tacho,s at mot stations ,unless you notify them its private the two yearly checks and six yearly come into operation.
    so if you run private fill in the excemption form available at test stations before they fail it. it can be expensive i just changed my tacho 585quid for exchange tacho .ouch!
    where have you got trainweight on the log book i havent got it on any of mine?

9. pappajohn

the train isnt on the V5 Alan, its on the new, replacement VIN plate and on the replacement Certificate of conformity sent to me by ALKO-COBER.

went to DVLA Beverly with all docs and got it changed but they wanted the cert of conformity to do it on the spot, so to speak.

as it already had an ALKO vin plate with the correct gross AND a train of 5500kg i never fitted the new vin plate as that has the same gross weight but a train of only 5200kg.

as you know, whatever is on the V5 is a copy of DVLA's records and as there is no train on the V5, DVLA dont have a record of it.

so if i got a pull from VOSA and had a 1650kg toad on the hook and a van gross of 3850kg, i would be within the max train weight but using the new plate i would be 300kg over train.

bit of a no-brainer really not to fit the new plate and lose 300kg train when the chassis is quite capable of pulling it.

10. e20rod

e20rod Read Only Funster

I did wonder whether is was better to just keep quiet! It would make it much simpler for breakdown insurance etc. The downside of leaving it be would be the limited payload. There's 4 of us, 4 bikes on the rack, a fair bit of 'stuff' plus there's the likelihood of a fair bit of wine after our tour of europe in the summer!

I'm planning a trip to our local quarry weighbridge once they've finished installing the new on to see exactly how much there is to play with.

Cheers,

Rod.

11. maxsdad

maxsdad Funster

hi rod
    just checked on my 700
    plate on bonnet slam panel reads auto roller stage 2 conversion 3850 maw 5050gtw
    plate on n/s front seat frame reads trigano fase 2 3500 gvw 4700 gtw
    ford plate on door pillar reads 3500gvw 6300 gtw
    v5 gives gvw 3850 and taxation class private hgv

i think the thing to do is if you get pulled for speeding or going on the ferry show them the 3500 plate
    if you are pulled for a weight check show them the 3850 plate but it will proberbly on their computer anyway
    hope this helps

maxsdad

12. e20rod

e20rod Read Only Funster

This sounds promising, perhaps I've missed a plate! When you say 'bonnet slam panel', where exactly is that? A picture would be helpful!

Cheers,

Rod.

13. pappajohn

havent go a piccy but its the panel the bonnet catch latches onto......just infront of the radiator top.

14. e20rod

e20rod Read Only Funster

Thanks. Its dark here now (well almost and its 10.45pm, nice!) so I'll have a look in the morning.

Cheers,

Rod.

15. e20rod

e20rod Read Only Funster

Just had a look under the bonnet. There's a white riveted on plate which states the colour etc. Looks like its been put on before painting so must be a Ford one. No other plates or stickers though, suspect this is where the problem lies.

I called the dealer on Saturday and he sounded a bit baffled, asked me to call back to today, which I'll be doing shortly!

Cheers,

Rod.

16. pappajohn

try on the bulkhead under the bonnet below the windscreen, on the door pillar, on the seat base or in the footwell...passenger and driver side.
    it may even have been placed on an internal wooden wall / bulkhead near the seats.

17. bevo

bevo Read Only Funster

weight plate

hi rod
    mine is exactly the same as yours just a plate under the bonnet with paint colour on.
    i don't have a maximum train weight of 4,700 kg on the passenger seat though.
    just the 6,300 kg one on the door frame.
    it'll be interesting to see what your dealer finds out.
    i must admit it doesn't really worry me, as i read that someone was pulled in france on the a26 and weighed on a weighbridge. the kind gendarme was only interested in the weights in the v5.

18. pappajohn

thats another matter Bevo.

many V5s dont have the gross or train weights printed on it!!!!

mine being one, until i got it sorted.

19. bevo

bevo Read Only Funster

weight plate

hi pappa
    i know my v5 only shows the van maximum weight 3,850kg
    but in my simple mind if the gross train weight is not shown how do they enforce a gross train weight.
    i would just act daft(who said i am).

or is all the info on a computer somewhere.

20. pappajohn

i reckon if stopped by VOSA they will look at the VIN plate to assertain train weight if you are towing, which will be difficult if there isnt one.

no real answer to that scenario.

and not forgetting.....ignorance is no defense in british law :Sad:

with regard to the last sentence...whatever is printed in your V5 is a direct copy of DVLA's records...or so i was told at DVLA Beverley when i enquired about my V5 showing an incorrect gross weight.