Auto-trail Apache 2003

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by rosierose, Aug 5, 2014.

1. rosierose

rosierose Funster

I've just been and viewed a m/h and the owner comes across as very genuine, pointing out all the little niggles etc.
    I didn't get to see the habitation test paperwork but he did say that there was a comment about a slight damp area by the door. The only explanation he said he could give was that he thought it was where it was parked, with the prevailing wind blowing rain into the door frame?!
    I couldn't see or smell anything damp and I'm hoping to take hubby back with a damp meter....should I steer clear at this stage? Could it be something very simple?

My other worry is that it is a 2l engine. It's only 21ft max, will it be under powered? I haven't driven it yet.

Any comments on this model?

Thanks for reading :)

2. Mike B

Mike B Funster

Bump

• Like Like x 1
  3. MikeD

MikeD Funster

You definitely need to see all the paperwork, hopefully he has owned the van for a number of years and will have a extensive folder of testing/service/repairs.

Any damp problems should be addressed and can be expensive to repair.

Your van will probably weigh around 3400kg when loaded and with only 83hp and 142lb/ft of torque it will never win any traffic light drag races.

The torque the engine generates is probably a more important indicator as to how it will drive day to day.

If you are concerned about performance make sure you have a reasonable lengthy test drive on open and flowing "A" roads with a few good hills.

I hope this helps (y)

Saw this and thought it might assist
    https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&r...5IGYDQ&usg=AFQjCNEzJgjFhGEsBM4PlXCxtdAR5MYDNg

• Like Like x 1
  4. rosierose

rosierose Funster

Thanks, that's a great help :) He has owned the vehicle for 8yrs and said he had a considerable amount of paperwork to hand over. He's the second owner, having purchased it with 19,000 miles on it and now it has 30,000.

I did ask about the performance and he said that it has never really struggled up hill but was honest enough to say that he never went faster than the lorries, just enough to not be a nuisance to them.