Aussie motorhomers join the forum

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by OZeRV, Jan 30, 2016.

1. OZeRV

OZeRV Funster

Hi there

We are an Aussie couple who are looking to buy a motorhome in the UK so that we can fly in annually for a few months touring, mainly on the continent but also for visiting family and friends in the UK. We have been motorhoming in Australia since 1996 when we bought a 30' Bedford bus conversion which we drove all around Australia for 16 months and then returned to the workforce. More recently we converted a 30' Isuzu bus into a comfortable motorhome. We have also bought a relatively cheap US RV a few years ago which we store in Los Angeles and have made annual trips to the US for the past 3 years. With retirement likely next year we are now planning the UK/European adventure which will start with a short visit to the UK sometime later this year.

We have done a fair bit of research into a UK purchase (left hand drive) and have a general idea of what we want. This forum has provided a wealth of information and through the insurance thread I was put onto an insurance broker who is willing to arrange insurance for a UK registered motorhome being owned by visiting Aussies who have Australian drivers licences. We have been put onto a good storage site in a suitable location by another Aussie couple.

We have looked at a lot of the motorhomes for sale on this forum and also on eBay. One in particular appeals to us and we keep on coming back to this unit after looking a many others. If we get serious about this particular rig which is located in Paignton, Devon we will like to get an independent person to to check it out - any suggestions of suitable persons or organisations?

We are looking forward to our involvement in this forum as a platform for our future UK/European motorhome trips.

You can check out our Aussie bus to motorhome conversion at http://www.jackielee.info/slideshow4.htm and our US RV blog at http://ozerv.com/.

• Like Like x 4
  2. ****

**** Read Only Funster

Aww man, your isuzu bus looks shit :D You know im only joking. Full of aces buddy(y)

I am in Scotland so to far to look at a bus for you but why do you want a left hand drive or are you getting mixed up with mainland Europe?

Dam country and western music must pay some or you two do banks on the side.

Looking forward to your purchase and adventures in the uk.

Oh and welcome. :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. ****

**** Read Only Funster

BTW i had a quick look at your blog (y) Ill have a good read at that later mate as its getting silly o'clock here but you look an interesting fun couple and i wish you well.

4. travelbunyip

travelbunyip Funster

Hi Doug and Jackie.
    Welcome to the forum. I'm sure you will get plenty of help here. There are a few other Aussies who are also
    members. Good luck with the purchase and will look forward to your adventures on your blog site.
    Ewout

5. OZeRV

OZeRV Funster

Thanks Ewout from travelbunyip - your blog has been inspirational to us and has really wet the appetite for a European odyssey. Who knows, we may even catch up with you in Oz one day if not Europe!
    Doug

• Like Like x 1
  6. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

:hiya2: Welcome to fun, what a great idea, gives you the best of both worlds, be good to follow your journey, ask any questions along the way, they usually get an answer, not always a sensible one but a answer non the less. Happy Travels. (y)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Jim

Jim Ringleader

G'Day and welcome to the fun (y)

8. Theonlysue

Theonlysue Funster Life Member

@Kiwi Coss any shreds of advice to give??? Lol
    Hi and welcome.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
  9. lorger

lorger Funster

Hi and welcome to fun, sounds like you have some great trips ahead.

10. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

Hi and Welcome to Fun.
    I live in Paignton so if you do come this way to look at a a vehicle, give me a shout if I can help at all.

11. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

:welc:

12. scousebird

scousebird Funster

:pink:

13. Bailey58

Bailey58 Funster Life Member

:welcome4:
    Sounds like a great adventure from one side of the world to the other. Plenty on Fun keep their vehicles in storage and we tend to hear only the problems they encounter, rarely the positives, hopefully it won't be an issue for you when leaving it so long between visits. (y)

14. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

Welcome on board from the confines of the duck house....

15. OZeRV

OZeRV Funster

We plan to drive mainly on the continent - hence we figure having the steering wheel on the wrong side would be more appropriate on the UK roads that we already have more familiarity with.

16. Viennese

Viennese Funster

I find it easier to drive in Europe in a right hand drive vehicle than a left hand drive one - it's what you're used to! I can't do left hand drive at all!

17. ****

**** Read Only Funster

Yip me also. I did hire a LHD in Turkey once and hated it. I took to driving on the right instantly with a RHD car with the only problem being trying to pass large motors like an truck on country roads but whats the hurry when on holiday. Also if you make a mistake and someone gives you abuse they are looking at the wife not you :D

18. Croweater

Croweater Read Only Funster

Hi, we are Aussies who have camped in Europe many times and also driven a motorhome. We have Aussie friends who own motorhomes in UK and the Netherlands and go to UK/Europe every year and have been doing so for many years so I can let you have their contact details if needed.

19. Ambilkate

Ambilkate Funster Life Member

Hi and welcome to Fun looking forward to reading your posts :)
    Kate

20. OZeRV

OZeRV Funster

Our research tells us that we are only allowed to drive a vehicle in UK up to 3.5 tonnes maximum weight on an Australian drivers licence https://www.gov.uk/driving-nongb-licence.

We will have to work within this limit in terms of finding a suitable vehicle but I do find it ironical considering my Australian Heavy Combination drivers licence permits me to drive any heavy combination vehicle (articulated semi-trailer or lorry) which would normally have a gross weight of around 45 tonnes. Similarly for my wife who has an Australian Heavy Rigid Licence which permits her to drive any rigid vehicle with 3 or more axles heavier than 8 tonnes or an articulated bus.

One motorhome with the 3.5 tonne weight limit with a configuration that appeals to our eye (and budget) is a 2006 Chausson Flash 08 2800cc turbo diesel on a Citroen chassis. Any comments on this make or model?