As high as you can go?

Discussion in 'Scotland' started by Ed Excel, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Ed Excel

Ed Excel Funster

We're pitched up on the beach at Rosemarkie on the Black Isle. What a spot? Just getting a tour in before we need passports. Off to JoG and Thurso tomoz. Anyone got any 'must sees' in between those destinations and here, or even places to stay along the top of the country?

2. Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie Read Only Funster

I found a good wild camping spot at Tongue !! Just across the bridge on the A838, have a look on Google Earth, by the cemetery ! As usual, once you stop the "herd instinct" took over and a Dutch van trawled in to join us ! ....:party2::party2::party2:

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  3. camocam1

camocam1 Read Only Funster

was up JOG 2 weeks back, although better than it was don't spend too much time there, just before you come to JOG you will see a sign for duncansbey head and you can wild camp there by the light house (4 vans there when we visited) with great views and hopefully sunsets, walk over to see the stakes and maybe some puffins if you are lucky.
    As you head to Thurso nice CC site at durness bay and great beach and again great sun sets, about 20 minutes from Thurso

• Like Like x 1
  4. jann

jann Read Only Funster

Follow road to Dunnett Head. There are a couple of places before you get to the lighthouse

5. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

Fully recommend the Duncansby Head option and as said don't bother with JoG other than to say you have been

The CC site is Dunnet Bay, (probably still closed) the car park by the entrance I don't think had any no camping signs when we were last there and Dunnet Head as mentioned is another great option and really is the highest point in mainland Scotland whatever JoG might say

But if you have the time get over to Durness, via the wild camp option suggested near Tongue, the west is so much better than the east
    the drive back down to Lairg is worth the diversion, even if you only get to Tongue come back down via Altnaharra

You will enjoy the trip whatever

Just seen I have fallen foul of the old post revival (again), never mind good info hopefully for somebody

Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
  6. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

OP posted ..09-09-2013, 21:15

I think he may be home by now.. :Wink:

Last edited: Mar 21, 2014