Are you going to hire a car in UK or Europe ?

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by Eeyore, Nov 8, 2015.

1. Eeyore

Eeyore Read Only Funster

If you are going to hire a car, in UK or Europe, then you will possibly need to generate a code from the DVLA website to enable the hire company to check your licence online. You can do this before you go but the code is time-limited.

If your code has expired and you need a new one you will need your licence number, your post code and your National Insurance number.

We don't normally have these with us when away but will do so now.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Bailey58

Bailey58 Funster Life Member

Hired a van for a job recently and they never even asked, just a glance at the licence.

3. Glandwr

Glandwr Funster

Hired a car in Catania last year, no checks, just a photocopy of licence and passport, and CC scanned

Dick

4. davidbaldam

davidbaldam Funster

I too hired a car about a month ago in the USA, again they just used my plastic car licence. (y)

5. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

It's really down to the company you're hiring from.

In the past some of them would want to see your counterpart license and some wouldn't.

Nothing's changed, anyone who wants to check can do, anyone who doesn't want to won't.

6. Eeyore

Eeyore Read Only Funster

However, as I am attempting to point out, if you are in some rental office in X and the company wish to check, unless you have your NI number with you they will not be able to do so. You might well then not be able to hire a car.

The licence does not show any points you have got. The DVLA website does.

• Like Like x 3
  7. NickNic

You're quite right of course. (y)

They've extended the validity period now as well. When first introduced the code was only valid for 72 hours. Now it's 21 days so much more flexible, especially if you will be hiring abroad. If I was going on holiday I would probably generate one to take with me just in case.

https://www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence

• Like Like x 1
  8. Eeyore

Eeyore Read Only Funster

This is fine if you're only going for 21 days. Many of us with motorhomes, go away for much longer and often hire on whim.

9. Brian and Jo

Brian and Jo Funster Life Member

What is the cost of hiring a car in the uk for a long weekend or a week .we have changed Jo,s car now and are deciding wether or not to have an a-frame fitted or just hire .any input would be welcome.(y)
    Brian & Jo

10. Eeyore

Eeyore Read Only Funster

Many of the Caravan Club sites have an arrangement with - I think- Enterprise and the car is delivered and collected from the site. Can't tell you how much I'm afraid but in Europe we think it is very much cheaper to hire this way than to trail a car over and pay extra on the ferry etc.

You can get One year insurance for around £39 which covers all the excess insurance costs for all the car hire you do during the year.

• Like Like x 2
  11. BwB

BwB Funster Life Member

That's a bit of a how-long-is-a-piece-of-string question. But this should give a good indication...
    http://www.travelsupermarket.com/c/cheap-car-hire/

• Like Like x 1
  12. NickNic

Be very very careful dealing with Enterprise. I've had that misfortune in the past. Now I'd rather walk than deal with them

• Like Like x 2
  13. buttons

buttons Funster

I find Enterprise to be one of the best run vehicle hire businesses around. Efficient polite and good value. What problems have you had with them.

• Like Like x 2
  14. NickNic

A company I worked for had a courtesy car from them as part of an insurance claim so the car was paid for by the insurance company. Even it that situation you have to provide a credit card to them. We had the car for quite a while. When we got a credit card statement we saw that they had been charging us rental for the car for some time even though the insurance were paying for it. After a row we returned the car, in perfect condition. They then came back with a list of so called damage caused to the vehicle which we obviously disputed. This went on of quite some time during which time we discovered they were still charging the card. In the end we had to report the card stolen to get it cancelled to stop them. It ended up with the solicitors but took forever to sort out.

Like I said I would never ever use them no matter how desperate I was and I would always advise people against using them.

Dishonest, lying crooks would be my description.

• Like Like x 1
  15. buttons

buttons Funster

Sounds like six of one and half dozen of the other to me nic nic. We have had loads of vans from them recently and cant fault them in any way possible. However, like all car hire firms now, you have to be fully aware of the terms and conditions. The small print is there to see especially with regard to excess charges and damage waver. Believe me there are many fare worse that Enterprise.

16. NickNic

Excuse me?

How is fraudulently charging a credit card six of one half a dozen of the other?

Unless you're calling me a liar in which case I find that offensive.

Not that I have to justify myself to you, your opinion is less than irrelevant, but it was eventually sorted by the solicitors 100% in our favour, no fault on our part whatsoever so take your six of one half a dozen of the other and troll someone else.

17. Eeyore

Eeyore Read Only Funster

• Like Like x 1
  18. buttons

buttons Funster

I thought we were having a discussion about our experiences with Enterprise. Where did that come from.:rolleyes:

19. lou020

lou020 Funster

I've used Enterprize through the caravan club, very good experience with them.
    you have to ring the office where you are getting the car from to arrange for them to pick you up and take you to their office. Same when returning the car,they take you back to where ever you want.

I've also rented in france from the big supermarkets,very easy.

20. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

We hire from Glasgow airport when we go to Scotland ... about a tenner a day for a focus (ish) car ..
    In france weve used drivy... you have to register but the hire rates are good if you look around.
    Not a fan of enterprise tbh