Are gas bottles same in Holland as in UK?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by yorkieman, Mar 14, 2014.

1. yorkieman

yorkieman Funster

I'm on a campsite in Amsterdam and have just run out of gas. It's a bit chilly. If I'd run out earlier in wouldn't have been too bad, but I'll be shivering all evening and darn, no shower in the morning.

Are the gas bottles the same fitting over here as in the UK or do I need to go out and buy some thermals until I get back on Sunday?

2. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

You ain't gonna like this but ... they are different. :Sad:

I'd suggest going out and getting a cheap camping stove that takes gas 'aerosol' type cylinders so at least you can make hot drinks/food ... oh and a hot water bottle if you can find one! Then wrap up in a nice duvet ... alternatively you could find a 'lady of the night' to keep you nice and warm!!! :BigGrin:

3. yorkieman

yorkieman Funster

Uh-oh. I was hoping you wasn't going to say that.

Just checked on the satnav and turns out the redlight district is just 3km away so maybe your other idea might work.

Daft question, but I'm on electric at this site. What happens if I plug in an electric fan heater?

Not that I have one, but I figured I could pick one up for not too much and it is always there for emergencies in the future.

4. Minxy Girl

So long as you don't go for a 'supa-dupa' powered heater you should be okay. Can't have you freezing can we! :BigGrin:

5. chaser

chaser Funster

Maybe daft suggestion but what we did in France was go to a gas place buy a new French bottle with a regulater and just connect it up , costs a bit but you can always use and change it over there next time you go, lot cheaper over there so not much more than swapping your bottle here:thumb:

6. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

I assume you are on a site as there is no wilding in Holland, so why not just get a small fan heater to tide you over. As to gas bottle I understand the screw on English butane bottle is the same thread as the French bottle, Heyuplov is the man to clarify which bottle. So carry a tail to fit.

7. yorkieman

yorkieman Funster

I'm definitely going to check the stores tomorrow and see what I can find.

Sat here absolutely freezing at the moment. Got all my clothes on and I'm under the quilt and still nowhere near warm.

That idea of going down to the red light district seems to be getting more attractive by the minute :BigGrin:

8. yorkieman

yorkieman Funster

No wild camping in Holland? Oops.

Shame on me as the other night I inadvertently did just that, although I was in a parking space just outside of the centre of Amsterdam and it was after 11pm so I doubt anyone would have noticed.

I was in Germany last week and found a lovely empty car park in the middle of nowhere. Couldn't figure why there was nobody else around. Until I woke up in the morning and found out I was in the cemetery car park and had been sleeping right next to the graves all night.

9. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

if youve got hook up a low wattage fan heater or oil filled radiator would keep you warm:thumb:

10. Minxy Girl

Well ... it depends on where you are I suppose! We have wild camped in Holland but very much out of the way, and they do also have some of their own versions of 'aires' now too. :BigGrin:

11. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

watt no wilding in Holland:Eeek: no one has told me and I have been doing it for 12 years with no problems

12. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

that will tech you not to research before ye go best idea is find a nice pension to stay in
    and when you get back get your shelf a gas low system just filed ours up £15.20
    we love it you will never run out of gas:thumb:

13. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

We carry a small fan heater all the time and use it when we are on hook up. The position of the Truma heater in the MH (under the bed, as far away from the living area as possible) plus the draughts that come in, mean that you freeze in the front and sweat in bed when you try to use it on electric only. We stand it on the floor between the passenger and drivers seat, pointing into the van. Keeps the place lovely and warm. :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  14. yorkieman

yorkieman Funster

I'll check this gas-low thingy out when I get home. Sounds like a good idea.

So how do you go about filling it up then?

15. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

gaslow or any of the other similar refillable LPG systems work the same way. pull into a petrol station that also sells LPG (autogas) and top up the tanks as and when you want or need to. with gaslow you dont need to wait till its empty before topping up.

i generally top up when I fill up with diesel. pull up at the LPG pump and fill up then move along to the diesel, go in and pay for both

always best to fit a filler in the bodywork on the side of the van rather than in the locker as some autogas LPG places wont allow filling inside the locker with the door open.

cheapest at present is gasit, 11kg kit from under £160
    http://www.gasit.co.uk/index.php?_a=product&product_id=381

16. roamingman

roamingman Funster

Buy some tea lights put them in a bowl with a bit of water in bottom, 8-12 you will be surprised how they take the chill off. :Smile:

• Like Like x 1
  17. bigfoot

bigfoot Funster

Plant pot candle heater

Make your self one of these-ready for next time.
    [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzKbFzUEWkA"]Candle Powered Air Heater - DIY Radiant Space Heater - flower pot heater - Easy DIY - YouTube[/ame]

• Like Like x 1
  18. yorkieman

yorkieman Funster

19. yorkieman

yorkieman Funster

I am definitely going to check that out as soon as I get home. Funnily enough, one of my buddies, who is a big camper, suggested something like that, but I didn't know what he was talking about, so thanks for the explanation.

And you can get LPG in many places these days, can't you so should be better than Calor I'd have thought.

Does it work out more expensive or cheaper in the long run?

20. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

refilling with LPG- (GPL in FRANCE) is approx. 50% of the cost of an exchange bottle so definitely cheaper.:thumb::thumb: