Are CC sites always like this? (2 Viewers)

Dec 16, 2015
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
10 years
I agree that the best aspects of CC sites are the online booking of single nights, the fact that you can usually choose your own pitch, and the locations. Our favourite CC site is Losehill in Castleton, Peak District. Great location, and sometimes very colourful!
IMG_0058.JPG

Gabriel

Free Member
May 19, 2016
Derby
Funster No
MH
considering
Exp
Well, perhaps all Caravan Club Sites are like that. I don't know. Nine years ago I built an 80 pitch site in the Peak District and run it as a franchise for the Camping and Caravanning Club. As others have said there are good reasons for certain rules but they do not make my site soulless. Last nigh at midnight I was cleaning the ladies loos and a woman came in. I apologised for being there. She said 'Never mind, not going to do anything they don't do in nature'. Then she locked herself in a cubicle and got on with it. Over the noise of flow she shouted. 'Lovely site.... I'm going to learn swing ball tomorrow.'
We're Ashbourne Camping and Caravan Club Site

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
We are on a caravan club site ATM.

The couple in the motorhome on the next pitch pulled in yesterday just after us. Exchanged hello's. Mike was trying to set up the satellite at the time (it needs updating he thinks) The guy offered us a terrestrial tv lead which was nice of him but we declined we can survive without a TV.

This morning after mike went on his ride to the wall the guy said to me we've met before. I couldnt remember him but he went onto explain he used to be assistant warden on st David's site. You came down a few years ago with your Dad and your son and your dads concorde with the church window in the back broke down and after getting parts sent down it got recovered. Guys got a great recall, he went onto say didn't you get hit by a car when you were out on the motorbike. The wardens and assistant wardens on the site couldn't have been more helpful at the time.

This couple are now assistant wardens at Cirencester but are going to modbury next year as wardens.

In twenty five years we have been members of the caravan club we have only ever had one bad experience of warden being a €#*€.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
@big map Wow what a memory and so glad you were alright after the bike accident is that why you don't go on a bike anymore?
Who would be a warden? We always try to engage with them when see them about on site but some people are hostile to say the least.

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
We've just come back from Cambridge and one morning after showering I informed the warden that someone had pulled the shower curtain off and left it in the corner of the cubicle. Next morning he told me that things weren't as straight forward as it first seemed. The shower curtains are coloured coded and this one was the correct colour for the ladies showers. However, this curtain was in the mens showers. Explain that.

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
@big map Wow what a memory and so glad you were alright after the bike accident is that why you don't go on a bike anymore?
Who would be a warden? We always try to engage with them when see them about on site but some people are hostile to say the least.
Yes when we had the crash Ryan was in the car behind us and dad was in a car behind Ryan's. A car came over the brow of the hill from the opposite direction and another car overtook dad and ryan and was going past us on the hill when he saw the other car and came in too soon to avoid the oncoming car and took us out totally. Mike went into the verge of the road and I ended up in the middle of the road with the bike on top of me and the car against me. The first thing I heard was my dad saying "you shouldn't have to bury your children". He thought I was dead! He had nightmares for ages afterwards and he kept seeing it over and over again in his mind, so I promised him I wouldn't go on another motorbike. Mikes had another 3 bikes since and Ryan's bought a new one today. They are as safe as any other mode of transport. But I won't break my promise

The couple on the next pitch love their lifestyle but they are happy smiley peeps I think if youre nice people are nice back. If youre a miserable warden you are not going to bring out the best in people!

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
That's one promise to keep and so glad for all of you that you were not badly injured. Robs dad lost his leg in a motorbike accident but he adapted his bikes to accommodate his false leg,and got right back on !!
Yes when we had the crash Ryan was in the car behind us and dad was in a car behind Ryan's. A car came over the brow of the hill from the opposite direction and another car overtook dad and ryan and was going past us on the hill when he saw the other car and came in too soon to avoid the oncoming car and took us out totally. Mike went into the verge of the road and I ended up in the middle of the road with the bike on top of me and the car against me. The first thing I heard was my dad saying "you shouldn't have to bury your children". He thought I was dead! He had nightmares for ages afterwards and he kept seeing it over and over again in his mind, so I promised him I wouldn't go on another motorbike. Mikes had another 3 bikes since and Ryan's bought a new one today. They are as safe as any other mode of transport. But I won't break my promise

The couple on the next pitch love their lifestyle but they are happy smiley peeps I think if youre nice people are nice back. If youre a miserable warden you are not going to bring out the best in people!

Muddibootz

Free Member
Jan 4, 2016
North Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest
Exp
since 1994
Not all CC sites, or any CLs or commercial camping sites or Aires or even wild camping sites are the same.
We use all of these. Some are fantastic. Others are not. The one thing you do get with most CC and C&CC sites is a good standard of facilities and cleanliness and in my opinion, usually helpful and friendly wardens.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
CC's attempt to control scroats on scooters bikes and skateboards as parental control measure fail dismally
So now a short path that lead to the roll along refill is now controlled by TWO gates Oh Please!
IMG_9413.JPG

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
Cos we are supporters of CC sites and have been members for about 15yrs we have stayed on many CC sites and I can honestly that we have never had a problem with a site or a warden.I would never dispute that they are pricey ,but the day I start to worry about the cost of our hobby and our only indulgence in life ,will be the day that we sell the Motorhome .We have just booked to go for 4 nights to the York Rowntree site mid month.Booked it with a warden called Carol who couldn't have been more polite and helpful.because out Arto is 9mtrs long and the site limit is 8.5 meters it is oversized for the site,but Carol said no problem we will find you a pitch and also we wanted the 15th till the 19th and the 15th wasn't available but she said I will put you on the reserve list .Then today had an e-mail to say that we could now have the 15th as well ,result .So now looking forward to that visit.
Brian & Jo

Nov 1, 2015
Norwich
Funster No
MH
RAPIDO 686F
Exp
We've just come back from Cambridge and one morning after showering I informed the warden that someone had pulled the shower curtain off and left it in the corner of the cubicle. Next morning he told me that things weren't as straight forward as it first seemed. The shower curtains are coloured coded and this one was the correct colour for the ladies showers. However, this curtain was in the mens showers. Explain that.
If that's Cherry Hinton? The Warden there a couple years ago is the nearest I've come to punching one in over twenty years, with breaks , of being a member. Am also not in any way a violent person,just thought I'd mention that !!
I've also be on sites where wardens have been excellent and most cl site I've been on have been what we want, basic so as to use the vans equipment. I most say most folk I meet on any kind of site here or abroad have been,in the vast majority,friendly.
Ray

Last edited:

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I think that the thread is meant to be about CC sites being soulless rather than another thread on site wardens.

Nov 1, 2015
Norwich
Funster No
MH
RAPIDO 686F
Exp
Unfortunately as you know threads alter through other people's views and responses. I don't think I've read many that don't at some point. My response just an instance which made that site soulless because of the warden.
Ray

Last edited:

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Unfortunately as you know threads alter through other people's views and responses. I don't think I've read many that don't at some point. My response just an instance which made that site soulless because of the warden.
Ray

I've seen lots of threads meandering but was hoping to find out why CC sites seem so soulless as I've thought the same.

If the thread is wondering, what did the Warden do to get close to being punched?

Last edited:

FrankCoffi

Free Member
Dec 2, 2015
Andover,Hants
Funster No
MH
Lunar Premier H592
Exp
since 2007
We USED to be members but found that many people thought themselves above everyone else (or too far up their own a!!!!!) that we left.I believe that it was because we had an old motorhome and were surrounded by more modern vans and were letting the site down !
If you watch any TV programmes which are featuring the CC,you will see what I mean. I realise that this may be a too broad a view and there may be many who are approachable but not in the way we find at the Motorhome Fun meets.
I start to worry about the number of sites you find now that belong to the CC, maybe it's time to have same MH fun sites ??? Don't take offence to this,it is just a personal view and don't want to start a war. Regards to all those who were at the Wales meet,Frank.

Deleted User
We USED to be members but found that many people thought themselves above everyone else (or too far up their own a!!!!!) that we left.I believe that it was because we had an old motorhome and were surrounded by more modern vans and were letting the site down !
If you watch any TV programmes which are featuring the CC,you will see what I mean. I realise that this may be a too broad a view and there may be many who are approachable but not in the way we find at the Motorhome Fun meets.
I start to worry about the number of sites you find now that belong to the CC, maybe it's time to have same MH fun sites ??? Don't take offence to this,it is just a personal view and don't want to start a war. Regards to all those who were at the Wales meet,Frank.

How do you find out.......we never talk to anybody anyway:)

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
We always have a couple of walks around a site and generally find that without fail everyone who is out and about says hello or good morning and often have conversations. No one will come to you as that would be intrusive in most peoples mind so I don't understand how people can be described as up their own a

Nov 1, 2015
Norwich
Funster No
MH
RAPIDO 686F
Exp
I've seen lots of threads meandering but was hoping to find out why CC sites seem so soulless as I've thought the same.

If the thread is wondering, what did the Warden do to get close to being punched?
The warden who I would not name on a forum even if I knew his name was about as big a *rick I've come across from making lots of people wait till exactly 1 pm to get through his precious barrier creating a long line of annoyed people. On standing in front of me to guide me through said barrier as it was beyond my capability to do with his help. On the stopping me as apparently I had nearly hit the section where the barrier came down, bearing in mind I was following this little *pricks instructions.
So we stop to fill up with water and said little shit comes running up and starts to inspect my bike rack and then tried to explain the said barrier had hit bikes on coming down, I assume because they where by them trying to get the backlog in that was now even longer. Yes and before I get shot down it was 13.00 ( Note to Jim ) but common sense and all that !!
Ray

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years

We felt that we were unwelcome when we cycled around a CC site recently; it seemed that the every caravan was occupied by net curtain twitching busybodies or snobs who looked down on us because we were cycling rather than driving a 4x4 or top-end car. It was a lovely day but they were either sat in the 'vans or awnings, cooped up their pitch space with nothing to do apart from look down on people. It looked like a soul-sapping site.

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
How different all our experiences of the CC are!

I've never found a CC warden anything less than courteous - 99% of the time they are more than willing to help everyone with all manner of niggles, wearing their customary smile.

Not so keen on CCC wardens - they seem to be a bit more 'jobsworthy'.

We've just got back from 2.5 weeks touring Northumberland and Scotland, staying on 15 different CC, CCC and privately/council-owned sites. The only one we didn't stop at was a CC CL which was situated in the yard of a working farm next to a busy road. Without exception, they were well-laid out with good facilities and some were a bit quirky in a good way. None of them could be described as soulless :)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Cos we are supporters of CC sites and have been members for about 15yrs we have stayed on many CC sites and I can honestly that we have never had a problem with a site or a warden.I would never dispute that they are pricey ,but the day I start to worry about the cost of our hobby and our only indulgence in life ,will be the day that we sell the Motorhome .We have just booked to go for 4 nights to the York Rowntree site mid month.Booked it with a warden called Carol who couldn't have been more polite and helpful.because out Arto is 9mtrs long and the site limit is 8.5 meters it is oversized for the site,but Carol said no problem we will find you a pitch and also we wanted the 15th till the 19th and the 15th wasn't available but she said I will put you on the reserve list .Then today had an e-mail to say that we could now have the 15th as well ,result .So now looking forward to that visit.
Brian & Jo
We're on Rowntree until this weekend. It's certainly full.

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
We're on Rowntree until this weekend. It's certainly full.
Thanks Tony I be believe it's a very nice & busy site
Brian & Jo

Apr 7, 2008
Garstang, Lancashire, UK.
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RB
Exp
Since 1968.
We have joined the CC and this weekend stayed for the first time on one of their sites. It was imaculate but totally soulless. All the vans were parked inline, a regulation distance from the next. No hedges divided the pitches and the site was totally without character.
Are CC sites aways like this?
Too right they are! I joined the CC in the early seventies and cancelled my membership last year. Jobsworths the lot of 'em. Got to say I do like the C&CC though. More relaxed attitude plus it is as they say 'The Friendly Club.'

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
CL = certificated location - the Caravan Club certify certain small sites (no more than 5 vans) so that they can open to the members. The Camping and Caravan Club do the same but are called CS = Certificated Site.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back