Apple Care, is it worth it? (1 Viewer)

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
Have a few apple related questions but will give them different threads.

Just getting to the end of my first year as a imac owner. As I understand it I have to purchase Applecare before the 12 months is up.

Watched a YouTube video and the guy said not to buy it if you are in the UK as we are covered for 6 years. There is something about this on the Apple website too but it is not very clear. Also heard on fun about people getting repairs done for free long after the first year. Does anyone know what this is about?

Assuming it is only fully covered for 12 months, is AppleCare worth considering?

Thanks

Steve

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Apple care covers you for accidental damage so if you drop your iPhone and smash it or drop it down the toilet you get a new one (not a refurb) It does give one a little confidence for two years and transferable to a new owner if you sell the product or transferable to your new product if you wish.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I bought it for my 2012 MacBook Pro. It's already had the trackpad fixed, but is still faulty so it has to go back again. This is the first Apple product I have had that has developed a fault, I was still using an old Apple G3 till last year then sold it. It was working perfectly, screen was still bright and clear at almost 15 years old. I have a 2008 MacBook Pro And we have other MacBooks and an iMac. None of these have ever had a hiccup
Buy AppleCare? Do you feel lucky?

Daveg

Free Member
Sep 2, 2012
Perthshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
November 2012
Our family has had a lot of iProducts over the years, work and home. In my experience things go wrong in the first couple of months, when you are covered by normal consumer legislation. If you get past the first year the damned things seem to go forever.

The only thing I have ever needed after year 1 was a screen glass for my PowerBook - not covered anyway.

Not a scientific response, but I don't bother with apple care anymore.

Dave

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
Over the last 20 years the only problem I've ever had with an Apple product was an iPhone that went tits up, but it was 8 years old.
I have had iMacs G3, G4, iMacs, Power PC and Intel iMac G5, MacBook, MacBook Pro, iPod, iPod Touch, and Apple TV.
Currently an iPhone 5c, iPad Air, MacBook Pro, iPod Classic and iPod Touch all working beautifully.
Never had Apple Care and never needed it!

:cooler:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 17, 2011
North East
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7057
Exp
since 2011
I bought it for my iMac in 2011. It hasn't really been any use, so wouldn't buy it for an iMac again. I have considered it for my MacBook as I think there is more to go wrong but haven't purchased it and took out a different insurance policy. Apple have always been good with my phone problems so I feel any genuine issue they would probably look at anyway.

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
I had apple care for my Mac computer.
I've used their service a few times - mostly to help me do specific tasks and once when I couldn't view Cctv footage recorded in a format that I just couldn't decode and view.
On every occasion, I thought they were really good.
However, I'm sure that we got a big phone bill on each occasion of calling them from BT.
We bought a two year extension to the normal included warranty but I let it expire.
- you watch, I'll probably need it now (Sod's law)!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back