Anyone with pre-existing problems can still afford travel insurance.... (1 Viewer)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Travel insurance can be very expensive as we get older and can detour long haul travel...
Friends of ours want to visit their son in Australia. They have a number of problems including diabetes and heart problems....they have just book a months of excellent cover for six hundred pounds... I thought that was an excellent price...
I can let you have the details if required...

Jan 14, 2015
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo 726G
Exp
since 2014
I have an annual travel insurance policy with LV, for me and my partner, worldwide cover, all health problems covered for £180 this year.

easy to do online.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Franck

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 10, 2014
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
13 years
We have a Nationwide Flex account which among other things gives us worldwide annual travel insurance and breakdown cover. The account costs £10 a month. Due to pre existing conditions including diabetes and heart problems we have to pay a supplement of £230 per year which allows us unlimited trips of up to 127 days each anywhere in the world.

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
We have a Nationwide Flex account which among other things gives us worldwide annual travel insurance and breakdown cover. The account costs £10 a month. Due to pre existing conditions including diabetes and heart problems we have to pay a supplement of £230 per year which allows us unlimited trips of up to 127 days each anywhere in the world.

We also find the Nationwide Flex Plus account cover works well for us. I have heart problems and pay an addition of £120 a year for the cover. It costs £10 a month for the account, but it pays 3% on the first £2500 in the account, so pays us about £7.50 a month towards the £10 cost

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
Well the one with diabetes is covered by the reciprocal agreement anyway - you do have to go and register with Medicare when you get there and there is a co-pay on all drugs - but they'll save that much with senior's discount they won't notice.

Not sure whether heart trouble gives the same cover though.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
We also find the Nationwide Flex Plus account cover works well for us. I have heart problems and pay an addition of £120 a year for the cover. It costs £10 a month for the account, but it pays 3% on the first £2500 in the account, so pays us about £7.50 a month towards the £10 cost

I have Nationwide and also covered on the wifes HSBC account..
Only had a heart bypass 2 years ago and no other issues. Both banks wont cover me for the heart even with extra payments.
Found separate cover annual, Europe for £60.. You just cant make sense of these insurance companies.

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
I wouldn't trust Nationwide as far as I could throw them. I have a policy with Staysure, very helpful and reasonable price.

Franck

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 10, 2014
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
13 years
I wouldn't trust Nationwide as far as I could throw them. I have a policy with Staysure, very helpful and reasonable price.

The contract for the travel insurance is with UK INSURANCE based in Bristol.

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Well the one with diabetes is covered by the reciprocal agreement anyway - you do have to go and register with Medicare when you get there and there is a co-pay on all drugs - but they'll save that much with senior's discount they won't notice.

Not sure whether heart trouble gives the same cover though.
Thanks chap I will pass this on..(y)

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
We used to be with InsureandGo but once I reached 66 they wouldn't cover us for our 6 month stay in Spain. So for the last 4 years we have just relied on our Ehic card.

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
We paid £128 for a couple but after my heart attack last June it increased to £ 315. Also with LV.

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
We would prefer to travel with insurance but recently the cost has been too high. Last trip was covered by:
1. EHIC. On the premise that in an emergency it is not the insurance that sorts you out but the emergency services provided by whichever country you are in and ongoing care under EHIC.
2. ADAC Plus. This provides, amongst other things, medical repatriation (air ambulance, etc.) and covers the usual with breakdown, etc.
My only concern is that I have been unable to find a really comprehensive translation of the ADAC terms and condition and provision of services.

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Don't forget to amend your policy if you have any changes to your health within that year no matter how trivial they might appear..

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I guess the test would be if you need it. Anyone had to claim on medical insurance with preexisting conditions and if so how did it work out.???

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Just done a test quote with All Clear covering the pre-existing conditions both OH and I have. Must say I was quite impressed with the prices. Will now read the T's & C's and see how they seem. Would love to hear from anyone who has made a claim and how it went.

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Trouble is, they all have small print!
They do indeed Dorwyn, I get my GP to give me a signed copy from my medical records which even includes cuts and bruises and colds and flu. These are I presume the same records that any insurer will use when making any claim. You are right especially when out of Europe you cant be too careful.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

I claimed off them last december,,simple and straightforward which wasn't my experience with the scum bags at Staysure a few years ago,,BUSBY.

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
They do indeed Dorwyn, I get my GP to give me a signed copy from my medical records which even includes cuts and bruises and colds and flu. These are I presume the same records that any insurer will use when making any claim. You are right especially when out of Europe you cant be too careful.

Does you GP charge for that service?

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
He does but worth every penny for peace of mind alone. Insufficient or improper cover can cost a fortune.

I agree but our GP really knows how to enhance his retirement fund :(. I will ask but expect to be shocked.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back