Anyone using CoPilot (2 Viewers)

sonar

Free Member
Dec 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
I have downloaded a copy of CoPilot for one of our iPads .

does Anyone else use it and what’s your impression.

also this iPad can except a SIM card but the app says it is not a requirement to use CoPilot.
true or not your thoughts please.

asking as this is the later version and not the 2018 one as already discussed on the forum in the past.

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
yes. i use it in my car for years on my iphone and in the van on an ipad.
you need a cellular ipad that can take a sim, as only these have a GPS chipset in them (Non cellular Ipads do not have a GPS chip in them) , but you don't need a sim to use CoPilot....
but you will need a Sim if you want to use the Active Traffic feature...

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I use it in the car on my phone, the only thing I find is the estimated journey time is not very accurate, always longer time.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I have downloaded a copy of CoPilot for one of our iPads .

does Anyone else use it and what’s your impression.

also this iPad can except a SIM card but the app says it is not a requirement to use CoPilot.

asking as this is the later version and not the 2018 one as already discussed on the forum in the past.

I use CoPilot on the head unit on our van, but I have avoided the software updates as when Trimble bought CoPilot out they made it made it virtually unusable.
I will be interested in your feedback on the latest version to see if Trimble has listened to its users.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010

The cellular iPad's have GPS which is required for the satnav, whereas the non-cellular (just WiFi) iPad's do not have GPS.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 22, 2013
Halifax
Funster No
MH
Relay self-build
Exp
Trainee MH owner
You do not NEED a cellular iPad with GPS to use CoPilot - although it does make life much simpler.

I use my wifi-only iPad with a Garmin Bluetooth GPS receiver to run CoPilot. This is a very workable alternative if you do not otherwise need to buy and keep funding a cellular iPad. 👌

OP
OP
S

sonar

Free Member
Dec 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
yes. i use it in my car for years on my iphone and in the van on an ipad.
you need a cellular ipad that can take a sim, as only these have a GPS chipset in them (Non cellular Ipads do not have a GPS chip in them) , but you don't need a sim to use CoPilot....
but you will need a Sim if you want to use the Active Traffic feature...
Lucky for me I have one with a slot for a sim and two without.

Jan 17, 2010
Northants
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach740SE
Exp
Since 2006
CoPilot works great for me on both an Android tablet and an Iphone. I use the tablet in the motorhome, its a cheap satnav to be honest but works really well.
I particularly like the Motorhome setting as it then highlights roads that you shouldn't go down based on weight and size, this feature is valid in Europe too.

Jan 11, 2018
Malvern Link, Malvern, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
I use it for the motorhome (the latest version) using my smartphone.
Generally I find it very good , I use the caravan version which permits size and weight entry.
For the motorhome the routing is pretty reliable but nothing will be 100%.
Sometimes it makes routing errors but no system will be immune from this.

Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
As I understand it, CoPilot uses the Nokia/Navteq map data used by Garmin but a stripped down version that doesn't necessarily include all of the options found on most dedicated sat navs. I guess the map accuracy will be pretty much the same but not sure what else you get for your money.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Have a new iPad and didn’t go for the cellular one.
I run CoPilot through a Garmin GPS thing, have given it a few runs out and it seems good
590AAED6-F563-45D6-9D0D-A51C06AFDCEE.jpeg

OP
OP
S

sonar

Free Member
Dec 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
Well thanks for the input it seems to be the way I want to go.
large clear screen
and as it seems simple to use as well.
I will keep the Garmin 661 as a spare in the Moho somewhere.
used it use it with the car but that has it’s own so a spare for both.

just seen the cup holder version that holds this iPad and it’s in the right position for me so good
to go all round.
well it is for me others may disagree .

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
As I understand it, CoPilot uses the Nokia/Navteq map data used by Garmin but a stripped down version that doesn't necessarily include all of the options found on most dedicated sat navs. I guess the map accuracy will be pretty much the same but not sure what else you get for your money.
I have used CoPilot for many years. The things that I like about it are - it is so portable. I have it on my phone and Tablet so that I can have small or large screen versions. It updates like an app through the store so speed cameras are up to date without faffing with cables or hook-ups. If you get into the settings you can really refine it to your driving styles, I have three - one set for Motorcycle speeds, one for car and one for MH. You can also use it like Google maps to walk. Things like Over speed limit warnings are available and the distance from safety cameras that you wish to be warned at. The live traffic and alternative route suggestions have been a god-send several journeys down the M6!

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
I also have used Copilot for years. I have a 10" Samsung Tab (Android) which does not take a SIM but has GPS and Wifi. It's a nice big display that we can both see easily. I also have Copilot on my (Android) phone, which I have mounted so that is visible too. I have the large screen showing the overview of the route.

I also have the phone showing the magnified view, with junction detail, hairpin bends etc. This is useful because when you need the detail, you usually need it quickly, and you also want the overview for direction information.

One thing I like about Copilot is, if you want to go an alternative route, you can zoom in on any point on the road you want, tap it and select 'Route through here' and it redraws the route.

OP
OP
S

sonar

Free Member
Dec 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
Yes also decided to install on an iPhone as well .
I don’t have one the wife does. I have android phone and seldom use it anyway.
I noticed the change route item and easy to use as well.

and traffic cameras on it all ready do they update when on the internet and sim.?

OP
OP
S

sonar

Free Member
Dec 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
Now looking for a motorhome leveller

I have one on the android phone and a not very good one on an iPad
yescapa level seems to wok in foot more than inches.
any suggestions for a good one …

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Now looking for a motorhome leveller

I have one on the android phone and a not very good one on an iPad
yescapa level seems to wok in foot more than inches.
any suggestions for a good one …
I have one of these stuck on the floor near drivers seat, so I can see easily how level the van is.
Broken Link Removed

Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
I used CoPilot for years when we had the caravan. However, about three years ago, CoPilot removed the three components that made it the stand-out performer for Motorhomers and tuggers. These were:
  1. state how long your veh setup was, which meant you could be redirected away from narrow lanes and sharp turns.
  2. express a preference for certain types of roads (e.g. motorways & trunk roads rather than farm tracks)
  3. put in your speed restrictions to better calculate journey times
I had a long running row with them (described in this thread), and they informed me that the company, Alt had been taken over by Trimble, and Trimble had ordered the removal of these features. CoPilot became a medium to do little else but make you buy the Trimble traffic service. It wasn't hidden, or covert, they were open about it.

I have tried several others, but now we just use Google, but that has no road or speed preferences.

I have heard good things about Sygic, but basically, if CoPilot reinstated those three things, I'd be back with them tomorrow. Without them, CoPilot is the same as all the others.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
  1. state how long your veh setup was, which meant you could be redirected away from narrow lanes and sharp turns.
  2. express a preference for certain types of roads (e.g. motorways & trunk roads rather than farm tracks)

You can get it to avoid local and secondary roads to one of five different degrees which really covers your 1 and 2. You can express a preference for particular roads and tell it how high and long you are, that covers your 1 and 2 again. As for the journey times, as long as I know the distance I can calculate them as good as any computer, but you can apply a Governor speed to your routes and with a bit of trial and error with that, get very accurate ETAs. Essentially it does everything you want it to do and more.

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
You can do all these things in CoPilot
I used CoPilot for years when we had the caravan. However, about three years ago, CoPilot removed the three components that made it the stand-out performer for Motorhomers and tuggers. These were:
D3851FD7-D3B6-43E0-B5A3-742F9FCAE239.jpeg
360C8230-99CD-4252-AB3D-B91599624214.jpeg

429C3345-79FA-48EC-BE3A-1B17BD8C6DCA.jpeg

42163DDC-E862-49C5-9AE7-09322BAA6BCE.jpeg
43BC2988-A391-414D-A24D-6344195EA12B.jpeg

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
You can get it to avoid local and secondary roads to one of five different degrees which really covers your 1 and 2. You can express a preference for particular roads and tell it how high and long you are, that covers your 1 and 2 again. As for the journey times, as long as I know the distance I can calculate them as good as any computer, but you can apply a Governor speed to your routes and with a bit of trial and error with that, get very accurate ETAs. Essentially it does everything you want it to do and more.
Beaten to the punch!! :)

Reactions: Jim
Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
The standard IOS one
Had done. Ver 10.19.0.2281

Haven't got this Governor speed thingy you are talking about. Are you both using the Motorhome version, because I'm not. Should I?

But but but, I see that Trimble have reinstated the road preferences on the version I am using. These were not there a year ago.

EzeeRider

Free Member
Sep 12, 2007
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
There are three versions, see Co-Pilots comparison chart here
ezee

Join us or log in to post a reply.