Anyone seen/used/got an Infrared Textile Heater??? (1 Viewer)

Jan 22, 2018
Sunny Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Nearly reasy to buy!
Evening all and wishing you all a very Happy New Year!
For Winter/ chilly evenings I use either a 700w oil filled radiator or a 1000w floor standing convector heater whenever I am on hook-up instead of/ as well as my diesel heater. Both seem to work reasonably well at heating the space and don’t need to be on for very long.
However, being floor standing they do take up a bit of room and are not particularly suitable when my dogs are with me as they both get hot to touch and get in the way (the heaters and the dogs 🫣😂). They also take up quite a bit of space stored away in my van when not needed. And the oil filled radiator is quite heavy.
I have been looking at wall mounted far-infrared heaters, but don’t think I have suitable free wall space.
I have just come across these Infrared Textile Heaters, see photo, which sound like they could be perfect! They only weigh just over 1kg, can be rolled up and stowed away when not needed and can be hung either horizontally or vertically from two/four hooks on the ceiling.
Wondered if anyone here has actually ever seen/used them, or your opinions as to their suitability?
many thanks.

IMG_1449.png IMG_1450.png

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Never seen them before, but look interesting..

form the specs it is only 400 watt ... as said.. not enough on it's own

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I prefer to use the vans heating then the whole van gets warm.
When you use an electric heater in the lounge the washroom doesn't get heated, so not only is it flipping cold, when you open the door you get condensation on the loo and mirror.

OP
OP
Nangie
Jan 22, 2018
Sunny Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Nearly reasy to buy!
I prefer to use the vans heating then the whole van gets warm.
When you use an electric heater in the lounge the washroom doesn't get heated, so not only is it flipping cold, when you open the door you get condensation on the loo and mirror.
Yes I understand that makes sense, I don't have any separate rooms with doors so don’t get that problem. Just trying to find a better way to use electric for heating, rather than diesel, when I’m on EHU and my dogs are with me.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Yes I understand that makes sense, I don't have any separate rooms with doors so don’t get that problem. Just trying to find a better way to use electric for heating, rather than diesel, when I’m on EHU and my dogs are with me.
a small fan heater takes up little room ..

OP
OP
Nangie
Jan 22, 2018
Sunny Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Nearly reasy to buy!
400w = approximately 5 candles
It seems that most of the infra red heaters I’ve seen are lower wattage than other heaters…the .bathroom panel infrared heaters are generally only 350w? Is all wattage of equal use for heating, independent of how it is produced? ( I am of course totally ignorant about how this works 🫣😂)

Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
Textile Heater, the name has a whole new aspect after a radio discussion yesterday.

The discussion was about Naturism, part of the discussion was about naming. Having ascertained that people who partake are called Naturists they were asked what those who wear clothes are called?

Textiles!!!!!

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Don't let the wattage mislead you. Infra red heaters do feel warmer than the wattage would suggest. They directly heat you. Normal heaters have to transfer the heat to the air, then the air has to transfer the heat to you.

I am not saying they are ideal. But dismissing them on the wattage alone would not be right in my opinion.

As for the cloth ones. I have no idea sorry.

OP
OP
Nangie
Jan 22, 2018
Sunny Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Nearly reasy to buy!
I hadn’t realised they were only 400 watt until pointed out.😩 Tho most of the infra red heaters I’ve seen are lower wattage than other heaters…the bathroom panel infrared heaters are generally only 350w? And I’d guess the air space of my van is no bigger than an average bathroom inside….
Never seen them before, but look interesting..

form the specs it is only 400 watt ... as said.. not enough on it's own

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
We have an air-con unit that doubles as a blown air heater using the heat pump cycle so it is very efficient but expensive unless you wanted air-con as well then the heat is a bonus (y)

OP
OP
Nangie
Jan 22, 2018
Sunny Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Nearly reasy to buy!
…..so just wear more clothes, that makes sense, and wi
Textile Heater, the name has a whole new aspect after a radio discussion yesterday.

The discussion was about Naturism, part of the discussion was about naming. Having ascertained that people who partake are called Naturists they were asked what those who wear clothes are called?

Textiles!!!!!
So I just need to wear more clothes…..Yay, problem solved 😂

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Strange, if you look at their website I cannot find any mention of the Cloth heater, though Lennyhb may be interested in the Mirror heater 😁

OP
OP
Nangie
Jan 22, 2018
Sunny Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Nearly reasy to buy!
I know that’s probably what I will end up using but I really don’t like the heat from a fan heater, creates draughts and dust, plus uses much more electricity?

OP
OP
Nangie
Jan 22, 2018
Sunny Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Nearly reasy to buy!
Don't let the wattage mislead you. Infra red heaters do feel warmer than the wattage would suggest. They directly heat you. Normal heaters have to transfer the heat to the air, then the air has to transfer the heat to you.

I am not saying they are ideal. But dismissing them on the wattage alone would not be right in my opinion.

As for the cloth ones. I have no idea sorry.
Thankyou, that’s what I was trying to find out, as it seems that the infrared heaters are always a lower wattage, bathroom ones generally 350watt and my van must be a similar size air space as a small bathroom.

OP
OP
Nangie
Jan 22, 2018
Sunny Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Nearly reasy to buy!
Hadn’t realised it was only 400 watt till you pointed it out, so Thankyou. Maybe I’ll try one just to see….it might be something I can leave on for longer and avoid van getting so cold to start with?
400w, says it all really.

Maybe useful as a supplement, but not as a sole source when cold Id say

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
I fitted a 700W far infrared panel in the ceiling of a small studio I built last year. It works really well if you are directly under it but soon loses effect if you move away from the zone. I think it could work well in the Moho but as you say mounting space is the problem

OP
OP
Nangie
Jan 22, 2018
Sunny Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Nearly reasy to buy!
I fitted a 700W far infrared panel in the ceiling of a small studio I built last year. It works really well if you are directly under it but soon loses effect if you move away from the zone. I think it could work well in the Moho but as you say mounting space is the problem
Thankyou. I might be able to find ceiling space for a small one, would it matter that my ceiling covering is vinyl rather than plasterboard etc as in a house?

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I know that’s probably what I will end up using but I really don’t like the heat from a fan heater, creates draughts and dust, plus uses much more electricity?
Much more electricity? By the laws of physics the electricity used to power the fan also gets converted into heat. I carry a cheap fan heater for emergencies.

I didn't like the risk of an oil-filled heater potentially leaking oil in the MH, or the extra weight, so I bought this instead:

Amazon product ASIN B002DGTMJE
It does warm up the hab space quicker than an oil-filled rad but slower than a fan heater.

OP
OP
Nangie
Jan 22, 2018
Sunny Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Nearly reasy to buy!
Thankyou for your reply. As I said tho I already have an oil filled and a convector heater, they both work really well ( tho I do like the idea of the non oil filled you have) but I want to try and free up floor space to make more room for my dogs when they are with me.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I must admit I really don't see the point as it is normally cheaper to use gas or diesel to heat the van than pay for electricity.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
It seems that most of the infra red heaters I’ve seen are lower wattage than other heaters…the .bathroom panel infrared heaters are generally only 350w? Is all wattage of equal use for heating, independent of how it is produced? ( I am of course totally ignorant about how this works 🫣😂)

I suppose the wattage could be used inefficiently 🤔 but For an accurate answer to this question we must summon the forum's god of all electrical and electronic systems.. autorouter 😁

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Thankyou. I might be able to find ceiling space for a small one, would it matter that my ceiling covering is vinyl rather than plasterboard etc as in a house?
The fittings allow an air gap of about 1" so you should be fine with regular moho roof although headroom inside will be reduced by a couple of inches in total.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back