Anyone followed the Tour de France? (1 Viewer)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Loads of advice on here, a quick search will find it.

Just search for Drugs Users.

PS, the previous line is a joke.

Reactions: Sue
Nov 25, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2006
You won't see much if you follow, you have to get in front of it if you want to be roadside. It used to be just the climbs where all the parking was taken but now even action spots on flat stages can fill up. I'd suggest pick selected stages and target those. Good luck and you will thoroughly enjoy it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
We have followed it (well in front of it) for the last ten years. If you go onto the TDF website you will be able to download a route of this years race, I think you will find it on letour.fr / @letour/ TDF2017.
As others have said held for the mountains for the best sites and best atmosphere.

July 1st is the start in Germany they spend three days there then come back into France. Few places we have been to watch and may be of interest to you. 5th July La Planche Des Belles Filles, Stage Wednesday 12th July Eymet to Pau, Stage Thursday 13thJuly Pau to Peyagudes, Stage Friday 14th July Saint Girons to Foix. 17th/18th/19th/20th July some very serious mountains in the Alpes.

Plan to get to one of the mountain tops on the route, I would suggest AT LEAST two days before they are due. It's brilliant, so long as you park OFF the tarmac road the police will not bother you.

Around May/June Smith's will have for sale the complete race programme and precise times the riders will be passing you. The programme is in a yellow box which also contains an excellent map of France with the course marked on it, price is normally about £10 well worth it.

Our plans are Saturday 8th Dole to Station des rousses, then to the Pyrenees to see a couple of the mountain stages then on to our favourite beach Port la Nouvelle where you can drive right onto the beach and say all `day with hundreds of other MH's (but not over night) nice aire near by. Part of this beach if very natural!!!!

Any more help let me know.

colyboy

Aug 21, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A/T Impala 615
Exp
I'm a slightly less experienced newbie and still learning
I have done this and the following worked for me as a leisure rider.

1. Book a site within comfortable riding distance of the T de F route for you.

2. The route and timings are readily available from tourist offices (the times quoted are amazingly accurate)

3. Be there a few days early to enable you to work out places you would like to watch from, do a ride recce. to see how long it will take to get there (have a back up spot) in case your chosen one is overcrowded, allow additional time in case you have to use this option. Don't worry about being at them early, the time passes quickly, the atmosphere is great and the cavalcade of floats fantastic.

4. The villages along the route I found are well set up for viewing whilst hills are considered a good spot I found tight bends to be also.

5. My most enjoyable spot was a short distance from the zero kilometer point (where the racing starts). As at this point they are still not flat out racing and you stand a chance of identifying some of the riders, they are still travelling at speed though.

6. Finally I would suggest you do not try to take to many pictures because at the speed they travel they are virtually gone before they arrive (if you know what I mean).

The above worked for me at Granville last year and also the village guidance when it was in Yorkshire in 2014. Where I found it much more frenetic!

Hopefully this is helpful and not to basic.

Ray

Rapido924f

Free Member
Dec 16, 2016
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2008
We have targeted stages after the actual routes are published closer to the dates. Last year we were at Fougieres and watched them close up. In previous years we saw the finish at St Malo combined with a stop on the aire in the town. Also they passed through Villandray beside the aire. Hoping to get to stages in the mountains this year so will be looking at routes and Aires. Let us know which you select

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
Rapido924f

You will not need "aires" just make sure you have enough water. some enterprising French man will bring around milk an bread etc.

colyboy

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
6 Months with motorhome(35 years tugging)
Rapido924f

You will not need "aires" just make sure you have enough water. some enterprising French man will bring around milk an bread etc.

colyboy
Tried to follow a few years ago- but could not keep up :cycle::france::coffee:

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
Rapido924f

PS and follow the man with a spade when it's getting dark!!!

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Have done a couple including Ventoux on 14th last year. My advice would be to get there at least (absolute minimum) 24 hours in advance of the race but preferably 36 - 48 to enable you to get alongside the road on a mountain stage. You will then get to see lots of action as they have a sort of amateurs race the day before (Armstrong was in it the year before) and a few celebrities from UK. Great atmosphere and look out for the dutch if you want a party, theres normally a congregation of them somewhere on a mountain. If Alpe D'huez is on get there 4 days beforehand !

OP
OP
Sue

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Suffolk. Near Bury st Edmunds
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
We have followed it (well in front of it) for the last ten years. If you go onto the TDF website you will be able to download a route of this years race, I think you will find it on letour.fr / @letour/ TDF2017.
As others have said held for the mountains for the best sites and best atmosphere.

July 1st is the start in Germany they spend three days there then come back into France. Few places we have been to watch and may be of interest to you. 5th July La Planche Des Belles Filles, Stage Wednesday 12th July Eymet to Pau, Stage Thursday 13thJuly Pau to Peyagudes, Stage Friday 14th July Saint Girons to Foix. 17th/18th/19th/20th July some very serious mountains in the Alpes.

Plan to get to one of the mountain tops on the route, I would suggest AT LEAST two days before they are due. It's brilliant, so long as you park OFF the tarmac road the police will not bother you.

Around May/June Smith's will have for sale the complete race programme and precise times the riders will be passing you. The programme is in a yellow box which also contains an excellent map of France with the course marked on it, price is normally about £10 well worth it.

Our plans are Saturday 8th Dole to Station des rousses, then to the Pyrenees to see a couple of the mountain stages then on to our favourite beach Port la Nouvelle where you can drive right onto the beach and say all `day with hundreds of other MH's (but not over night) nice aire near by. Part of this beach if very natural!!!!

Any more help let me know.

colyboy
Absolutely fantastic... We were thinking of Dole, but would also like to do the Pyrenees...can't wait!

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
We stayed on an Aire at St Antonin-Noble-Val last year and we found out the tour was coming through , so we stayed longer and watched it come through.
The Aire is free with free water and dump.

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
We have been a few times. For easy access and more motorhome friendly spots ski resorts are great as there is often good parking.
Do get there a couple of days before the stage, (longer for the classic mountain climbs) as there is often lots going on.

If you are there early enough don't park next to the first van you see, take a drive and see what else is available. If there is a gap next to a Dutch guy with a huge speaker stack there is probably a reason ( he will soon be playing euro pop with a thumping beat full volume, 24 hours non stop).

It's great fun, we love it.

Massif central Le Lioran TDf parking in July 2016.
IMG_20160704_133037.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back