Any tug along car recommendations.

Discussion in 'Motorhome Accessories' started by Trikeman, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Trikeman

Trikeman Read Only Funster

Hi All,
    We are contemplating a small car to take along with us on our UK adventures. The car will also be a get around for the wife when at home and our tugger when away. The plan is to get an A frame jobby and have the car adapted to suit. We have looked at car trailers but they seem a pain once at the site.

Any car recommendations to fulfil the role? What one have you gotand how do you rate it.

As always, any guidance, recommendations or this is better's will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Trikeman.:Wink:

2. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

4 door Toyota Aygo... don't know it`s on the back...:thumb:

Hooked up to a Tow car 2 tow bar electronic system...

Which is idiot proof, has to be for me to use it... :RollEyes:

3. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

Remember to check your tow weight, I see you have an Apache 700..
    The later models can only tow 1050 kg as the towbar will be mounted on the chassis extensions, Earlier models can do a little more but not much..
    You will find several cars under this weight but best to check and be aware of it..

Few for sale here,,
    http://www.towtal.co.uk/motorhome-a-frames/tow-cars-for-sale

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
  4. PaulyP

PaulyP Funster

Just bought a fiat panda, going to Armitages on monday for an A frame.
    Just the right size for a fold up wheelchair in the back and 2 small dogs harnessed on the back seat. Small and nippy.
    Used to have a 2CV on a trailer,it was a pain to get on/off. Took me a good 20mins each time.
    Watched a guy with a panda, 3 mins to unhook and park the car still with A frame on with the jockey wheel down.

5. g8ysn

g8ysn Funster

g8ysn

armitage a frame towing a kia picanto , use it to carry wifes mobility scooter plus bits and bobs dont know its on the back,dont forget to keep speed down,£60 3 points overtaking in outside lane of m/way:thumb:

Attached Files:

6. DJA

DJA Funster

Toad

Hi

Toyota Aygo Automatic.

Not all automatics suitable. For instance the Toyota iQ automatic isn't suitable I understand as it has a different type of Auto box.

Agree I don't know it is behind me and seems to reduce MH mpg by about 2 miles. Just remember that if you stop for a long time with the car attached you should check to see if the Towbar is still compressed as the unit stopped has resulted in the brake lights in the car staying on although the vans are off. Our setup, provided by Towtal, means that the MH does supply power to the cars lights, including the brake lights, when the vans lights are on.

One other thing you can do is buy a spare key but ask that it is not electronically logged to the car. You can then use this in the ignition as required to release the steering lock as you are travelling but whilst turning this key fully will turn the engine over the car will not actually fire up.

Doug

7. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

We were considering getting an A frame too but decided against it due to the issues in Europe and potential issues here in the UK. We have decided on a fiat 500 with a 'smart trailer' as being our best option. It too will be swmbo's daily driver whilst we are at home. What issues have come up re trailers on sites btw?
    We think the trailer takes up minimal space when on site.

8. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

when choosing a tow car you must take into account the cars GROSS weight.

as with any trailer, its the maximum permitted weight on the VIN plate which VOSA take into account...even if the trailer is empty.
    dont forget to add in the weight of the actual A frame as well...it all counts towards the gross weight

9. Trikeman

Trikeman Read Only Funster

Hi thanks for getting back - and an alternative too.
    Only one issue seen at a site when the site owner got all 'emotional' over the car trailer that came in on a MH. It was a large car trailer which he put at the 'non-awning side - the site guy moaned it takes up space, makes the grassy area look scrappy and cited that kids might injure themselves on it, especially in the dark. Not that I agreed with the site guy but I could see what he was bleating about. Just I would rather not get into conflab, a smaller trailer may be an answer.
    What's a smart trailer?
    Regards,

Trikeman.:Wink:

• Like Like x 1
  10. pappajohn

a smart trailer is specifically designed and balanced to carry a smart car.

a 'bantam' trailer would also do the job

11. camcondor

camcondor Read Only Funster

There are several trailers out there suitable for Smart ForTwo and similar little cars like the Fiat 500 - we had a Brian James Smart Car trailer designed specifically for the Smart, and had the additional load space (piece of board) fitted so it could be used as a flatbed type trailer for anything that fitted, like a tractor mower etc. we hardly ever used ours and sold it about a year or two back - it towed beautifully and the CC had no issue with it provided you stayed on your pitch, which made it a bit tight at times. No idea about private sites , but trailers do have a large footprint so potentially a problem and can also be easily stolen when you are out for the day.......so another lot of wheel locks etc to worry about :Eeek:

Not cheap either - ours ended up being around the £2K mark, There are a few independent manufacturers around who do similar, good products.

We will need to change our Smart Toad as we have two dogs now, so watching with interest to see what automatic may be suiitable.........?

12. donnkim

donnkim Read Only Funster

we went with tow car to tow bar - same as Old Mo. Brilliant system. we have a Kia Picanto which again has proved to be an ideal car to tow and to use on the road.
    Don

• Like Like x 1
  13. herbies

herbies Read Only Funster

we are selling our fiat 500 cabriolet just the job

interested ?

14. neilydun

neilydun Read Only Funster

Go on ?

How much ?

15. Janet

Janet Read Only Funster

Is there anybody towing a Citroen C1, Peugeot 107, or the Toyota Aygo that has been to Tow-Bars 2 Tow-Cars. I have had two Peugeot 107s and have had a problem with both. Please check the wire from the cam that operates the brake when towing. Mine has broken and I would like other people to check theirs as they could be towing without any brakes:Angry:

• Like Like x 1
  16. pappajohn

many folks tow without brakes anyway.

mainly those with a cable operated overrun system who insist they can reverse.

badly adjusted you have little or no brakes
    properly adjusted you CANNOT reverse....end of !

17. CHRI$

CHRI$ Funster

been thinking about toading my renault clio,must look into building an A frame and a braking system:thumb:

18. Merle

Merle Funster

Ford KA with Towbars-2-Towcars electronic system the same as Old Mo's....if you are going to do it make sure you get an electronic system it should then be compliant with the laws that come into force next year

19. pappajohn

ALL TRAILERS MANUFACTURED AFTER OCTOBER 28, 2012.

New laws that apply to almost every trailer completed after 28-10-12 mean that very few new trailers can be sold or used in the UK unless they have an approval certificate. This change has been brought about by a vehicle quality standardisation programme instituted by the United Nations, requiring whole vehicle type approval on new trailers made or sold in the UK. These rules have been in place in mainland Europe for many years.

What it means to us in the UK is the end of cowboy trailer building. Every part of the manufacturing process and every bought-in part used to assemble a trailer now has to pass stringent quality controls.

my interpretation of the above is....... A frames manufactured and fitted after the above date will become illegal as no A frames will have type approval.....too expensive on a small scale...... and as the A frame becomes part of the car the whole thing will not be type approved as a trailer

20. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

Each to their own but I love my fiat panda 100bhp, fully race prepared, quick as lightening blue tooth climate sport mode 6 speed 40mpg driven hard 50 driven nice, my Newfoundland dog fits in the boot due to the car shape, only 900kg...

I kid you not its like driving a go kart....Jeremy clarkson tested one and liked it so much he brought one. Such fun and gets me to work on time.

Easy to tow in the a frame, lowered and close to the floor so easy to get in, although the suspension may rock your bones..

Think fiat 500 atbarth, different body shell and half the price :thumb:

It saddens me that One day it will have to go