Any photographers on here? (1 Viewer)

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
Love your work, just a little surprised that you don't put a faint watermark on your images online, there's plenty of people out there who won't hesitate to use your great work without your permission. I had my own photographic business for around 7 years starting around 1987. It survived without advertising, just by word of mouth. I hadn't planned to start a business it just happened as a result of doing 'little jobs' which soon took over my full-time job! Of course that was in the days of Kodak, Fuji and Ilford films ........ no safety net, no room for error!
I moved from Scotland to Wales 19 years ago to help my wife look after her mother and immediately realised how much freedom I'd taken for granted in Scotland regarding access and freedom to roam. With landscapes, I soon felt as though I was doing my hobby with one hand tied behind my back, the fun soon went out of it. My other love, portraiture was still possible, so I set about trying to find work as I had previously in Scotland, but I knew no one and the little bit of interest I did get around 2008 thought I was charging too much, despite the fact I was asking the same as I was charging in Scotland in the early '90s which I was told then was too cheap!! :doh: I don't suppose the banking crash helped either!

Along came digital, my wife bought me a Nikon D70 so as I always have done I bought a 2nd identical body (as with back up film cameras!) In 2014 I upgraded to (2) Nikon D7000s which I still have but rarely use since I changed my job. I retired early last year as I struggled with my mobility, so it may be a chance to blow the dust off my 105mm Nikon Macro lens which I bought originally to photograph jewellery for a client with my studio lights and possibly relight my passion!!(y)

Mar 16, 2017
Telford
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu T460
Exp
Feb 2017
Love your work, just a little surprised that you don't put a faint watermark on your images online, there's plenty of people out there who won't hesitate to use your great work without your permission. I had my own photographic business for around 7 years starting around 1987. It survived without advertising, just by word of mouth. I hadn't planned to start a business it just happened as a result of doing 'little jobs' which soon took over my full-time job! Of course that was in the days of Kodak, Fuji and Ilford films ........ no safety net, no room for error!
I moved from Scotland to Wales 19 years ago to help my wife look after her mother and immediately realised how much freedom I'd taken for granted in Scotland regarding access and freedom to roam. With landscapes, I soon felt as though I was doing my hobby with one hand tied behind my back, the fun soon went out of it. My other love, portraiture was still possible, so I set about trying to find work as I had previously in Scotland, but I knew no one and the little bit of interest I did get around 2008 thought I was charging too much, despite the fact I was asking the same as I was charging in Scotland in the early '90s which I was told then was too cheap!! :doh: I don't suppose the banking crash helped either!

Along came digital, my wife bought me a Nikon D70 so as I always have done I bought a 2nd identical body (as with back up film cameras!) In 2014 I upgraded to (2) Nikon D7000s which I still have but rarely use since I changed my job. I retired early last year as I struggled with my mobility, so it may be a chance to blow the dust off my 105mm Nikon Macro lens which I bought originally to photograph jewellery for a client with my studio lights and possibly relight my passion!!(y)
Thank you, Underwater Macro photography is our (mine & my wife) passion, my first digital wS a little Sony 2.1 mp in a plexi housing we bought in HK on our 1st round the world.
After that i bought a Nikon D70 & s then progressed up the models to owning two D3X’s, my lens of choice underwater is the Nikkor 60 micro although i did have a 105, too much mucky water between subject and lens for the 105.
We spent a lot of time, close to twenty years photographing Nudibranch’s around Indo Pacific and South China Sea’s

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
907BF4A8-1E1A-4F3B-BE21-41A7453E7FAB.jpeg
3504C8BD-F8AC-4EDA-8833-5B14EB724FDD.jpeg
75CC3649-061F-4454-8946-2D89E5EC6AEA.jpeg

<Broken link removed><Broken link removed>
7BD9FA54-B6AE-4B25-B63E-ED69ACAD52A1.jpeg

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
Thank you, Underwater Macro photography is our (mine & my wife) passion, my first digital wS a little Sony 2.1 mp in a plexi housing we bought in HK on our 1st round the world.
After that i bought a Nikon D70 & s then progressed up the models to owning two D3X’s, my lens of choice underwater is the Nikkor 60 micro although i did have a 105, too much mucky water between subject and lens for the 105.
We spent a lot of time, close to twenty years photographing Nudibranch’s around Indo Pacific and South China Sea’s
I had to look up what Nudibranch’s actually were! They look very diverse, fascinating and beautiful but very invisible to more than 99.9999% of the population! I would imagine (correct me if I'm wrong) that you study them too. I can't even start to imagine how much hard work and time, not to mention expense involved in getting your wonderful images.
I've kept freshwater tropical fish for most of my life and if I had my life to live over I would have spent it searching the Amazon Basin or Lakes Tanganyika and Malawi for new, undiscovered species of fish which absolutely fascinate me.
Saying that, there's not too much in my life which I would have changed, it's been great!;)

I must say that I'm envious of your work. There's nothing quite like being able to do what you enjoy doing and to have a partner who shares your passion, wow!(y)

Mar 16, 2017
Telford
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu T460
Exp
Feb 2017
Our hobby was borne out of wanting to do something together, my wife organised a scuba diving (Padi) course for both of us.
I was 49 at the time but thought i would give it a go.
To cut a very long storey short, first we bought a 3 chip digital video so as to get decent quality stills from.
After a while i wanted something "better", so we bought the Sony 2.1 mp.
We dived the UK, every week without fail, even boxing day, broke the ice to get in and then we ventured further afield, Pacific islands, Japanese sunken fleet in Chuuk Lagoon, our favourite place was an old floating oil service platform in the South China Sea, we would go there sometimes 3 times a year for 4-5 weeks. Since 2009 we have dived the Philippines every year (amongst other places) where we would spend 2 months diving everyday searching for new species of Nudibranchs, we have close to 700 species catalogued, a good few of them un named species.
Yes it is not cheap, camera and housing = 16kg + all our own diving equipment, close to 100kg
Flying from the UK long haul, 7 weeks diving and accomodation + all meals +plus hotel at the beginning and end to chill out for a few days all adds up.
A good job i had a good job.
I post just a few of what we have found.
Enjoy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Attachments

• A17_2813sss.jpg
    A17_2813sss.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 23
  • A17_2972.jpg
    A17_2972.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 24
  • A17_3080.jpg
    A17_3080.jpg
    494.5 KB · Views: 24
  • A17_9340s.jpg
    A17_9340s.jpg
    999.9 KB · Views: 23
  • A17_9753s.jpg
    A17_9753s.jpg
    481.4 KB · Views: 26
  • A17_1628.jpg
    A17_1628.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 26
  • A16_6808b.jpg
    A16_6808b.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 26
  • A16_6597bb.jpg
    A16_6597bb.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 015_5485.jpg
    015_5485.jpg
    282.6 KB · Views: 24
  • 015_6625.jpg
    015_6625.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 24
  • A16_2243c.jpg
    A16_2243c.jpg
    1,011.9 KB · Views: 22
  • A16_3346b.jpg
    A16_3346b.jpg
    947.9 KB · Views: 22
  • A16_5117b.jpg
    A16_5117b.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 26
May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
Our hobby was borne out of wanting to do something together, my wife organised a scuba diving (Padi) course for both of us.
I was 49 at the time but thought i would give it a go.
To cut a very long storey short, first we bought a 3 chip digital video so as to get decent quality stills from.
After a while i wanted something "better", so we bought the Sony 2.1 mp.
We dived the UK, every week without fail, even boxing day, broke the ice to get in and then we ventured further afield, Pacific islands, Japanese sunken fleet in Chuuk Lagoon, our favourite place was an old floating oil service platform in the South China Sea, we would go there sometimes 3 times a year for 4-5 weeks. Since 2009 we have dived the Philippines every year (amongst other places) where we would spend 2 months diving everyday searching for new species of Nudibranchs, we have close to 700 species catalogued, a good few of them un named species.
Yes it is not cheap, camera and housing = 16kg + all our own diving equipment, close to 100kg
Flying from the UK long haul, 7 weeks diving and accomodation + all meals +plus hotel at the beginning and end to chill out for a few days all adds up.
A good job i had a good job.
I post just a few of what we have found.
Enjoy.
I think I'll need to read up on Nudibranchs, there must be something really fascinating about them to get so involved!
Being fortunate enough to being able to spend so much quality time away from work every year, let alone being able to afford to do so is everyones dream (y) I think that everyone should have a hobby which fullfills them and they can be proud of taking it to another level, I've been there and it defines you as a person. Too many folks just seem to float aimlessly through life and achieve nothing. I couldn't imagine a life like that, seems so pointless.
I hope that you have the good health and wealth to enjoy your hobby for many years to come and you can add to your amazing catalogue. Who knows you may end up with a Nudibranch species named after you as happens in fishkeeping.
Saying that, the sixth image looks just like a guy who lives around the corner:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
I don't have anything fancy, just a phone, but my pup is a real diva when you take a photo of her......
View attachment 664450
Lovely photo. You can have the best camera on the planet and not take a good photo. In this photo you've got lovely side lighting which picks out every single bit of detail on your dogs coat. If it was taken with a flash or with the light coming over your shoulder the photo would have been flat and uninteresting. Nice one (y)

pwilmo

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 17, 2009
Kings Lynn, Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Auto Roller 747
Exp
Since 2005
Just a couple of shots of my van at Shelton Mallet Motorhome Show, I loved the scenery, and one of Wells cathedral, what an experience

couldn't decide which on was best, so here's both
PS look closely at the motorhome picture, rear wheels ... I now use pump up bags for levelling they are so easy.

FUJI3312.jpg

Attachments

• FUJI3499.jpg
    FUJI3499.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 48
Last edited:

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Cmon folks, not been a post on this wonderful thread in several months. Hopefully this will bump it back up.(y)

OP
OP
Poppy and Hamish

Poppy and Hamish

Free Member
Aug 1, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Lifestyle 624
Exp
Completely new motorhomer
I am a fair weather camper, so haven't been out in the MH since October, so no exciting pictures to share from trips. Dropping a day a week at work in the next month or so, so hopefully more time to get out with the camera in general.

Good shout to bump this thread though ☺️

Aug 22, 2022
Of no fixed abode
Funster No
MH
Bedford MJ AWD
Great shot Dunslow. I have a similar muse, could even be related, who puts up with me taking too many photos of him. I shoot film and often return with an unfinished roll and keen to develop it and see the results I invariably ending up taking more of him to finish it off. I think a rather large proportion of my films have the last few shots of my mutt!

Any other film photographers here? I used to develop my own and scan the results but I haven’t yet developed in my truck yet So I send away at the moment. I would be interested to hear if anyone develops on the road?

Mark

Mar 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1987
1DC65864-7438-4469-ADB5-5AD2C899A451.jpeg
We had a zoom meeting to attend when we were away. Rather than one of those fake backgrounds we just opened the blinds. Lake Como. It drove the others mad.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Surf & turf at the Lighthouse Inn Walcott complete with C&CC CS and a new Motorhome stopover called Nelson’s Patch.

9CCC55FF-32C0-40A9-ABB9-5F3489521B8B.jpeg

Way too much food for me with 4 Prawns and a big rump steak hiding under all the other stuff

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Was the stopover include free with the meal?
No not on the CS site, £45 for 2 nights ! It has showers and toilets. The Nelsons Patch looks better but without toilets and Shower and I think is cheaper.

Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
Surf & turf at the Lighthouse Inn Walcott complete with C&CC CS and a new Motorhome stopover called Nelson’s Patch.

View attachment 704822

Way too much food for me with 4 Prawns and a big rump steak hiding under all the other stuff
We've only got his word for it that there's a steak under there. Might actually be the pescatarian option.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
What a great trip, is it easy to find somewhere to park up at night.
We did a cruise with Hurtigruten in October however it has encouraged us to return in the motorhome we saw lots up there and there are service points even out on the Lofotons 👍😊

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
Great shot Dunslow. I have a similar muse, could even be related, who puts up with me taking too many photos of him. I shoot film and often return with an unfinished roll and keen to develop it and see the results I invariably ending up taking more of him to finish it off. I think a rather large proportion of my films have the last few shots of my mutt!

Any other film photographers here? I used to develop my own and scan the results but I haven’t yet developed in my truck yet So I send away at the moment. I would be interested to hear if anyone develops on the road?

Mark
I've got all my cameras I bought going back to 1979 on a shelve except for my Bronica ETRS which was far too expensive to be a paperweight ;) I used to buy two identical cameras (except for the Bronica) as I was always doing jobs, many which may require me to use different speeds of film or B&W/colour and changing film in mid-roll was a pain! My hobby 'work' was usually on slide film but found the cost of cibachrome prints prohibitive.
Digital was definitely a game changer, at least there was no more sleepless nights waiting for wedding prints to arrive:whistle2:

Aug 22, 2022
Of no fixed abode
Funster No
MH
Bedford MJ AWD
I mainly use a Hasselblad which would solve your need to swap film speeds as you can change the film backs mid roll. And an Olympus XA for days when the Hasselblad is too heavy to lug around!

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
I've got all my cameras I bought going back to 1979 on a shelve except for my Bronica ETRS which was far too expensive to be a paperweight ;) I used to buy two identical cameras (except for the Bronica) as I was always doing jobs, many which may require me to use different speeds of film or B&W/colour and changing film in mid-roll was a pain! My hobby 'work' was usually on slide film but found the cost of cibachrome prints prohibitive.
Digital was definitely a game changer, at least there was no more sleepless nights waiting for wedding prints to arrive:whistle2:
Funny you should mention Bronica, I have just packed up my 1000s with sportsfinder and pistol grip to sell on. I have finally admitted to myself that I will not be going back to film 🥹

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
Funny you should mention Bronica, I have just packed up my 1000s with sportsfinder and pistol grip to sell on. I have finally admitted to myself that I will not be going back to film 🥹
It broke my heart selling the Bronica, but I needed the money to get my RGIT certificate at Aberdeen to work offshore :(

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back