Any Ideas?

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Jackspeak, Dec 27, 2015.

1. Jackspeak

Jackspeak Funster

I have a Rimor Katamarano 12p 4 berth van, it's just over 12 months old. Recently one section of the interior internal lights failed. Normally these lights operated when I clicked a switch on the underside of the drop down bed which is fed from the Inverter located in a lower cupboard.

Normally if the inverter is switched on I can operate the drop down bed and a section of lights, now when the inverter is switched off I cannot operate the bed but I can switch the lights on? Puzzled? Any clues?

2. Badknee

Badknee Funster

I don't understand what the inverter has to do with the bed really? So is the bed 230volts? I always thought that inverters were extras fitted post manufacture. Both the bed and lights should be 12volts.

3. Jackspeak

Jackspeak Funster

Hi Paul,
    The bed must be 12v, as I said in my post, when the inverter is switched off then I cannot operate the bed!

4. Stealaway

Stealaway Funster

Its all a bit confusing. You say the bed must be 12V, yet the inverter is there only to provides 240V. There should be no connection to the operation of the bed. How do you switch the inverter on? What kind of switch is it?
    Normally it is a high ampage switch in the heavy live cable directly from the battery's.

5. Jackspeak

Jackspeak Funster

Hi Stealaway,
    Sorry I'm a bit naeve in this field, the inverter model fitted is a cbe AK300 and is fitted with a switch to the power indicator, it's just a small rocker type switch.
    I assumed that both the lights and the bed were 12v because some time ago I lost the lights and the beds power and found that the inverter had accidentally been switched off, and thought that all of the lights were 12v.
    Even more puzzled!

6. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

So you can still switch the lights on regardless of whether the inverter is on or off - if this is normal then the lights cannot be connected to the inverter as flipping the switch on it would cut the power to them.

As for the bed - have you checked to see if there's a separate fuse for it as I suspect there should be - the bed electrics shouldn't be linked to the inverter at all. In fact nothing should be directly linked to the inverter! The bed and lights should be 12v and not 240v which is what an inverter would convert to!

The only thing I can think of is if someone has been messing about with the wiring due to the original wiring for the bed being kaput and using the feed via the inverter was their 'work around'.

7. Badknee

Badknee Funster

That's what I don't understand, what's the inverter got to do with any of this? The bed will be 12volt, lights might be 12volt or 230volt and not both. Inverter is usually connected to socket outlets not lights.

8. Stealaway

Stealaway Funster

Wot she said.

Switching the inverter on or off should make no difference, what you are seeing is the same 12v wires for the inverter must be being used to supply the bed. If there is power to the inverter then there is a problem with the bed motor wiring/switch. I think?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Badknee

Badknee Funster

I think a bit of detective work with a multimeter is required.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Bobby22

Bobby22 Funster

My guess would be to check all your habitation fuses....if you have lost a section internal lights then they will be 12v.........check the fuses first.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

I think there is some confusion, I don't rekon the OP has an inverter the box upder the bed is probably the control box for the bed motor and the lighting by the bed is connected via it's 12v supply.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

I did think that but I looked up the model number and it definitely comes up as an inverter!