Any Fon experts that can help please?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Accessories' started by peterc10, Jul 3, 2014.

1. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

Have just got a Fon router for my home wifi. I want to use it as an extender for my existing wifi rather than as a stand alone wifi unit. The Fon site says I can do it, but the instructions do not mention anything about it.

Can anybody help me please as to how I can do this

2. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

I don't have one but would assume you use it the same as connecting to any Fon hotspot, just enter your login details once after which it will recognise it.

3. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

That is not what I am trying to achieve. First I want the Fon to connect to my existing wifi router wirelessly so that it effectively extends the range of that router. Once it has done all that I can then log onto the Fon in the normal way.

4. DABurleigh

DABurleigh Funster

The Fon help page says this. Doesn't it work for you?

Dave

1.Via app:
    You can set up your Fonera on “WiFi Extender” using the Fon Utility app when registering it. If you change your mind, you can also turn on/off the “WiFi Extender” by accessing to the app’s management tool.
    2. Via web:While connected to the “MyPlace_xxxxx” WiFi signal, open a browser, type: http://fonera (or http://192.168.10.1) and use “admin” as the default password. Go to “Internet Settings” and select the “WiFi” mode. Then, look for your existing WiFi signal SSID and enter the password. Once you’ve clicked Submit, place your Fonera where your signal starts to fade and you’ll see a new stronger signal.

• Like Like x 1
  5. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

Dave. Thanks. All I have are the instructions, which are VERY basic. Does not even tell me where I can find the Fon help page - do you have a link please? All it does it tell me where to register.

• Like Like x 1
  6. DABurleigh

DABurleigh Funster

• Like Like x 1
  7. Sheddy

Sheddy Funster

• Like Like x 1
  8. timdownieuk

timdownieuk Funster

Look for a wifi network that starts with "my place". Then log in using the password on the underside of the Fonera box.

9. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

I want the Fon (which is the "my place" network) to log in to my existing router using that one's password, not the other way around.

I think I have sorted it from the links given by DABurleigh and tremybach. Will try it tonight. At the moment packing the motorhome for a couple of weeks away.

10. TheCaller

TheCaller Funster

Which Fonera have you got? There are two - the Fonera 2.0 and the Fonera Simpl. Only the Fonera 2.0 has the facility you are trying to configure & it is (or was) in beta - so update the firmware as a first step.

With the Simpl, you have to have a cable connection back to your router.

11. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

Not sure I have either of those. I have a new Fonera, which is small, round and white. The model number on the box says FON2412A

12. timdownieuk

timdownieuk Funster

Peter, that's the one I have. You can only connect this one to your router by cable I believe. Certainly mine didn't come with any wifi linking instruction.

Once you've linked it to your router I dare say that you could change the SSID and the password but I haven't bothered.

Tim

13. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

Tim, good news. You can connect this Fonera with wifi, because I have just done it. I followed the instructions in tremybach's link. The instructions that came with the Fonera don't mention it, but it does work

14. timdownieuk

timdownieuk Funster

Cheers for that Peter, I'll give it a go as it would certainly be handier to do it this way.

15. TheCaller

TheCaller Funster

I've also got the small white round one, but I suspect it's an older model. The firmware version is 4.1.1.1.

It doesn't have the WiFi feature - it has to be connected by a cable, nor does it even appear to have a straightforward way of updating the firmware. Pity - it's a feature I could make use of. We do have a dead spot.

I suspect that a recent development may have been to put a version of the new Fonera 2 firmware into the basic model, which might explain why there were 'out of stock' problems with it recently, as they moved from one model to it's replacement.

I'll need to do a bit more digging.

16. timdownieuk

timdownieuk Funster

My firmware is 4.1.1.5 and I've been able to link mine up by wifi now.