LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Jim :ROFLMAO::thumb: again good C/S :thumb: but 2003 ??? I think trespass was altered after that :ROFLMAO:--- but still not sure :thumb::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Jim :thumb: I am only going off what the local poaching lads tell me :thumb::ROFLMAO:
No doubt that they will get done for some other offence -- if caught :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
terry

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
How about a shooting meet? I have a Wembley air pistol somewhere:winky:

Good idea..

I've posted in the meets forum .. it's a general meet but can organise a day at the local club range if any are interested ..

see Colchester Meet.

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
Other than the Air Arms Owners club...

... for advice there is also Airgun Forum (Link Removed) and Airgun BBS (AirgunBBS.com - The #1 airgun, shooting and outdoor sports BBS).

I have a Walther Dominator - single shot .177 - with a Bushnell scope, as well as an Air Arms NJR100 with olympic trigger and Welham regulator, which is faulty at the moment (must send it for John Welham to have a look at) and a Tasco Custom Shop, which is a not bad scope but not as clean as say, a Nikko or my Bushnell; and I'm a member (secretary) of Shebbear Shooters Air Gun Club. We are part of SWEFTA (SW England Field Target Association) which is in turn affiliated to BFTA.

For anybody who wants to start I always advise that they don't buy anything until they join a club and see (and try) what others are using. A good start up is an Air Arms S200, the gas cylinder will give you 40 plus shots, it is a fairly light weight gun and is as accurate as most people need. I know some who shoot competetively with one. The Chinese Leupold-copy Zos is a decent scope for just a few tens of pounds. The S200 is always resellable (they are always in demand) so upgrading is no big deal (or selling off come to that).

A shooters meet could be a goer, but I wouldn't want to travel huge distances (Colchester is bleedin' miles away!). Wife doesn't shoot - she's the sous-chef when we host comps, etc.::bigsmile:

John

Last edited:

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
:thumb:

.If you want an easy rifle to tune with bags of potential power ,strongly and well made single shot then you can not go far wrong with a Weirauch HW80 .More potential than the other Weirauchs.They are de tuned for the British markets to 12ftbs and handle 18 very comfortably without busting your scope .Also very easy to quickly load with break barrell.:thumb:
My weapon of choice. Simple accurate powerful and self contained.
Just a word of caution.. not trying to preach to the converted, I'm sure most of you already know, but just in case you don't..
an air gun over 12ftlbs requires a firearms license .. the penalties are severe if you are caught.. the same as having any unlicensed firearm..

F.A.C. opens a whole can of worms.
Can only be done by a registered gunsmith.
Silencer needs amendment to F.A.C.

This was the case when I did field target about 20 years ago and it won't be any easier nowadays I'm sure. You could end up with a lot of charges so keep a low profile.
P.S. 22 for F.A.C. No contest."Or so I'm reliably informed by a gunsmith!:Blush:"

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Legal Power air rifle wanted

Here in Devon we have a massive rabbit problem, they are destroying the hedgerows faster than I can repair them So a little thinning out is required, I thought I had a rifle sorted but it has fallen though. So looking again, anything considered but probably a springer as cost is an issue. I am quite happy to renovate if needed. So what do you have for sale out there. Please reply via PM even if I have asked you before for details of a gun you have for sale. I deleted those replies when I got "Sorted" last time, hee hee. Now come on guys do you really need several guns they just take up space and need more cleaning.

Last edited:

duetto owner

Free Member
May 7, 2009
north surrey
Funster No
MH
hi top
Exp
in first year
whats the strogest air rifle/airgun you can get without going into the need for a firearms licence. They might come in handy for keeping rats and squirrels down.

does the air pellet kill em or just sting/stun them.

never seen a shop selling air weapons.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
anything exceeding 12ft/lb requires a firearms certificate, 9-12ft/lb will kill outright at the right range in the right place. If it doesn't you must have a really crap rifle that needs some fettling, hee hee, mind you you could always club the rabbit with it, saves on ammo as well.

duetto owner

Free Member
May 7, 2009
north surrey
Funster No
MH
hi top
Exp
in first year
Wildman

what sort of shop would you find them in, as a youngster toyshops sold GAT guns. But now would not know where to look other than internet sales.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
They are apparently now apparently only sold in gunsmiths, (unless anyone knows differently) With INTERNET sales the law has changed and deliveries can not longer be made direct, all deliveries are via a local gun shop, presumably to ensure the gun is below legal limit.

Hayleylulu

Banned
Feb 17, 2008
Full timing in the van
Funster No
MH
Fiat decato
Exp
8years
:RollEyes:hi i did have a 22 air raffle put had to sell it when i shot my self with it so now do stem engines a lot saver

Tiderus

Free Member
May 2, 2008
Tywyn, West Wales
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Twelve years
Got three or four (tell how long they've seen the light of day) BSA Lincon jeffries, underlever air rifes. One needs a trigger, trigger guard, and I need a couple of rear sights. Does anyone know if the spares are still available? When I was a kid these were the most powerfull, and not that many around. Real class if you could get your hands on one. Rgd's Graham.

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
laneside

If Wildman needs any help with his rabbit population I can suggest a couple of good lads with their own mobile accomodation--he only has to ask.

All our bunnies from this side of the Pennines must have emigrated to Devon

Cannot blame them far too wet, or cold, or windy or all at once up here for any clever bunny

Cheers Alan

JaG

Oct 30, 2008
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2008
Airgun

I started airgunning about 2 months ago. I have a Webley Venom Sidewinder .22 with scopes and night sight. Joining club in New Year and I have a farm I can shoot on when I am ready.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Got three or four (tell how long they've seen the light of day) BSA Lincon jeffries, underlever air rifes. One needs a trigger, trigger guard, and I need a couple of rear sights. Does anyone know if the spares are still available? When I was a kid these were the most powerfull, and not that many around. Real class if you could get your hands on one. Rgd's Graham.

any decent gun smith should be able to either supply or make parts .. these are quite collectable and worth restoration .. check the air gun forums for more info ..

Earliest Bsa / lincoln Jeffries type rifle / lowest serial number known ? [Archive] - AirgunBBS.com

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
any decent gun smith should be able to either supply or make parts .. these are quite collectable and worth restoration .. check the air gun forums for more info ..

Earliest Bsa / lincoln Jeffries type rifle / lowest serial number known ? [Archive] - AirgunBBS.com

Airgun BBS is a good forum. It is moderated and any post you put up is delayed until the moderator OKs it. Once you have 'proved your worth' as it were, that restriction is lifted. It is owned and run by the son of a friend of mine.

Have a look. There's loads of stuff for sale, all the time. I just bought a very nice BSA Ultra in .22 for Light Sporting Rifle and Hunter Field Target use. It's been blueprinted and shoot a treat.

John

S

stagman

Deleted User

John Knibbs International .BSA he will have everything available I am sure www.airgunspares.com :thumb:

S

stagman

Deleted User
If Wildman needs any help with his rabbit population I can suggest a couple of good lads with their own mobile accomodation--he only has to ask.

Cannot blame them far too wet, or cold, or windy or all at once up here for any clever bunny

Cheers Alan

Myxomotosis down our way . It looks like the Railway companies have been putting it down .

Tiderus

Free Member
May 2, 2008
Tywyn, West Wales
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Twelve years

Thanks lads, I will be contacting your recomended sources, just about given up.

Interesting stuff, I noticed that the have dozens at the museum in Welshpool by the canal. must visit again. Rgds' Graham.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967

Cheers Alan

No problem I have my own guns.

Not too much of a problem getting spares surprisingly enough. Always interested in new guns if you are thinking of disposing of them.

dogseal

Free Member
Apr 20, 2010
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
6 years.
modded ratcatcher long barrell. 177 metal breech.

a pic of one of mine. With a decent chinese scope on it.

best,

dogseal.

Attachments

• metal breech .177 barrell.jpg
    metal breech .177 barrell.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 32

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
So what is a good 'repeater' rifle, how much and how easy is it to 'touch up the power'

Peter

Any air rifle that has been set greater than 12 ft.lbs. requires a firearm certificate. The penalty for being found guilty of having such a rifle without the requisite FAC is 5 years in one of HM hotels and the gun being destroyed. It just ain't worth it. Our club has a chronograph that is nothing like as accurate as one that the police would use to enable members to carry out checks on their guns. We recommend under 11.5 ft.lbs. as this allows for any error in the chronograph and the different performance of different pellets.
There are several good repeating rifles available, not least the Air Arms 410 which is a reasonable gun and usually at a reasonable price second hand. There are, of course, others; I only have single shot rifles so I know little about multishot guns.
If you are into target shooting then over longer ranges, such as those encountered in Field Target and Hunter Field Target the .177 is the better calibre; the pellet flies on a flatter trajectory and the pellet is less affected by wind. For hunting up to about 40 yards the .22 is harder hitting but less accurate. For indoor 20 yard Light Sport Rifle in Air Rifle the .22 is fine, with wad-cutter pellets.
I have an Air Arms NJR100 with Welham reg and Olympic Trigger Group which is in need of an overhaul; it is fitted with a Tasco Custom Shop 8 - 40 scope. My regular FT rifle is a Walther Dominator fitted with a Bushnell Elite 4200 scope. Both these are in .177. For LSR I have a BSA Ultra which has been 'blueprinted' and it is fitted with a Hawke Airmax SR6 scope; this is in .22 and is used almost exclusively indoor though I do occasionally allow it to be used by anybody that I am coaching - at 3.7kg all up it is quite a handy rifle for youngsters.
I would urge anybody to mug up on the law before buying a gun.
There is some excellent advice here: Link Removed

John

midget

Free Member
Sep 17, 2009
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
a long time
Any Air Gun enthusiasts

Hi,good to see we ve got some air gunners on board--I use a Haenel 303 .177 to deter tree rats from decorating my Flair-as a matter of interest -anyone know what the poundage is? Its an old beast -no spec in the handbook

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Hi,good to see we ve got some air gunners on board--I use a Haenel 303 .177 to deter tree rats from decorating my Flair-as a matter of interest -anyone know what the poundage is? Its an old beast -no spec in the handbook

Using a pellet such as a JSB Exact in .177 or a RWS Super Field (weighs 8.4 gr) it seems that the gun tested (see below) had an energy figure of about 6.7 ft lbs - well within the legal limit.
http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2009/08/haenel-303.html
Link Removed

Whether your gun would be the same cannot be taken for granted. I don't know if there is any adjustment on the energy output on these guns. Best thing would be to find a club or maybe a dealer that will put your gun over a chronograph; that way you will know if six to seven ft lbs is the norm.

John

Goshawk

Free Member
Mar 2, 2014
West Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
hello i have an old Webley .22 hand gun, (pellet) a BSA .22 break barrell and Air Arms S410 pcn, which is brill, have been shooting for a long time, including shotguns in the past , its a great hobby, i have enjoyed this sport for many years , rabbits lovely, also rats corvids squirrels, good sport, enjoy responsibly (y)

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
I shoot both small bore and fullbore disciplines but have a hankering for a CO2 pistol!
I reckon a CO2 pistol could be a great addition to a Practical Mini Rifle course of fire to make it a 2 gun match.

If anyone in West Norfolk is interested in getting into shooting, just google Kings Lynn St Michaels Rifle and Pistol Club.

http://www.kingslynnstmichaels.org

There is a local airgun club and field archery club too for those who wish to wear tights!

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
have a hankering for a CO2 pistol!

I own one, a Walther CP 88, by Vmarex , well made gun and not bad accuracy at 10mts .. ok for a bit of fun shooting.. I have been instructing Charlotte with it.

much prefer my HW45 pistol .. (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back