Any advance on 100,000 miles? (1 Viewer)

Jan 2, 2017
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starspirit
Exp
7 years
I'm sure this has been discussed before,but what is the highest mileage members have clocked up on their respective vans?
We are about to reach 100,000 miles, the van has been regularly serviced and we have averaged 8,000 miles a year. Because Sue has MS we use the van as our sole vehicle which is handy for the loo, meals out and access using the Milford hoist.
There are several schools of thought I've discovered. A high mileage van is not so attractive a trade-in, but leaving the van standing in the driveway for most of the year is not good for seals etc. Many white vans cover huge mileage and keep going. What's the consensus of opinion? Do we trade-in or carry on until the next 100,000 miles?

Last edited:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I sold our Sprinter van last year to a friend. It had done 650000 and is still going strong.

Mine would do South Manchester to Dachau three times a week some weeks, with the odd Rosas thrown in for good measure a couple of times each month. Two years old and 500,000 on the clock. Rusting bodywork was never an issue when I traded em in at two years old :D.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Our Rapido A class on a Fiat 130 has covered 70K since we bought it new. Its regularly serviced and driven with care. I expect it to do another 70K over the next 8 years and have no plans to change it.

D

DL42846

Deleted User
Mine would do South Manchester to Dachau three times a week some weeks, with the odd Rosas thrown in for good measure a couple of times each month. Two years old and 500,000 on the clock. Rusting bodywork was never an issue when I traded em in at two years old :D.
I used to do South of France to the Uk twice over a weekend every two weeks, France Portugal, France Belgium and France Italy. I would average about 80000 a year. Pleased to say I have now retired.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
wow, I was looking at mine today when I drove it to work for the first time (was getting a new stereo priced up on it) and thought, 25k going skiing in a few weeks, won't be long before it's got 30k on it... Must be time to sell up and get a newer one.. :sneaky:

It's just my excuse to keep this ridiculously overpriced industry going. (y)

OP
OP
Foxy1956
Jan 2, 2017
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starspirit
Exp
7 years
Keep it,has served you well and properly maintained should continue to do so,good value as a dual purpose vehicle!!
We bought it as a suitable vehicle for our sort of adaptation and one that at 6.2 metres we can park it in TESCOS. It works really well. My only concern are the emissions.

D

DL42846

Deleted User
We bought it as a suitable vehicle for our sort of adaptation and one that at 6.2 metres we can park it in TESCOS. It works really well. My only concern are the emissions.
100 thousand is nothing for a diesel these days if it has been looked after. Change of air filter and diesel filter before the mot should see you OK.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
What you worried about emissions here in Norfolk for, unless you're running it on red ? Haha

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
If it keeps passing the emissions then why worry.
There are plenty of older Mohos and vans and in fact cars around and it'll compare with those.
Besides, who'd know in Narfook? :imoutahere:

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
When we handed the MoHo back to the hirer in NZ it was showing 380,000km

Still went well and no problems the whole time we had it.

Why change for the sake of it :)

OP
OP
Foxy1956
Jan 2, 2017
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starspirit
Exp
7 years
If it keeps passing the emissions then why worry.
There are plenty of older Mohos and vans and in fact cars around and it'll compare with those.
Besides, who'd know in Narfook? :imoutahere:
Wha' are you loike bor.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
If it has been regularly serviced and is running well, keep it.

We had a friend who used to change his " whenever the ashtrays were full", as we called it. With depreciation it cost him a fortune and he always seemed to be hankering after the one he had got rid of two years before.

OP
OP
Foxy1956
Jan 2, 2017
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starspirit
Exp
7 years
If it has been regularly serviced and is running well, keep it.

We had a friend who used to change his " whenever the ashtrays were full", as we called it. With depreciation it cost him a fortune and he always seemed to be hankering after the one he had got rid of two years before.
We bought ours 7 years ago, the previous owners who live near us hanker after ours. They drove to Venice and lived for 3 months in our van so it was much loved, and now by us.

OP
OP
Foxy1956
Jan 2, 2017
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starspirit
Exp
7 years
When we handed the MoHo back to the hirer in NZ it was showing 380,000km

Still went well and no problems the whole time we had it.

Why change for the sake of it :)
We hired a campervan in NZ in 2008, it was the reason we bought ours because we had been tuggers before that. The van had air breaks which made a lot of noise as we decelerated and there was no access to the cab from the driving seat. Otherwise a fab holiday, although a lot further than our beloved Scotland.

Paul an Jane MK

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
enjoyed the freedom over the last couple of years but still Wish we could have got away more often
Good for you, at least you have had your monies worth out of it.

I would vote keep, especially as with that mileage it has probably done the lions share of depreciation and that is probably the biggest cost of ownership so the next 100k will be relatively cheap.

Have fun and hope you give it as much use over the next seven years, I am jealous as still working full time and do not get away as much as I would like.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

Why,,,,,BUSBY,,

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Bought our van in 2008 and have over 55k on the clock, only halfway there so far. Not even thinking of changing.

pigginchilli

Free Member
May 17, 2015
Town Yetholm
Funster No
MH
low line.
Exp
Our van has done 72000 miles its a 2.8 jtd which will out live the cab floor etc, We love our old girl and have not seen any other van to replace in the near future.(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back