Another Place, Crosby

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Loujess, Mar 14, 2010.

1. Loujess

Loujess Read Only Funster

We are building up to the season and I really want to see this place. We are off on Tuesday, have to be back in Leeds by Friday. Is it a short distance from here to Southport? Any suggestions for places we shouldn't miss or where we should stay? I fancy a CL and will look in the book unless anybody can suggest differently.

Ivy

2. dellwood33

dellwood33 Read Only Funster

Just make sure you check the tides. Wouldn't want you to arrive at the top of a high spring tide to find the figures all covered. :Smile:

3. Loujess

Good job you mentioned that. Seems that low tide will be around 4pm. Thanks again.

ivy

4. bigfoot

bigfoot Funster

CL may I suggest Abbey Farm nr Ormskirk. The other place car park is a large promenade type area in front of the coastguard station. There is also a cycle path that takes you into Southport.
    Enjoy your stay:thumb:

5. yorkshirepudding

yorkshirepudding Read Only Funster

Try not to visit on a windy day. It's hard to see the figures when your eyes are full of sand. And you wouldnt risk your camera under those conditions.

Ask me how I know.:Sad:.

Well worth a visit though. I shall return one day.

6. movan

movan Funster Life Member

Hi Ivy, Rather than me try to type it all out again if you see my reply on the thread Southport Easter weekend, I have put a place you can wild camp which may be of help to you. Would suggest you wrap up warm too as it can be VERY windy (hence the sand suggestion above). Have a good trip.

If you want a little run out from Southport there is a canal Marina at Rufford, a few miles away where there is loads of space to park the van and they do lovely meals and you can cross over the road and go for a lovely walk up the canal on a nice day. There are also a couple of historic halls if you like that kind of thing.

The postcode for the Marina is L40 1TD

7. Loujess

Hi Frank
    I'm agog (I like gogs). How do you know.

Ivy

8. Taran_Las

Taran_Las Funster

Went to "Another place" last week - brilliant place. As said previously best visited (at earliest) an hour before low tide. On the road from Crosby towards Southport is a good pub selling reasonably priced food. It's called the Red Squirrel.

Phil

9. bigfoot

bigfoot Funster

If you are coming down the M62,there is also the Dream,a large head on the site of Sutton Manor colliery near St Helens in Lancashire. I think there are directions to it from the motorway.

10. yorkshirepudding

yorkshirepudding Read Only Funster

Hi Ivy,

Gogs are appreciated in this part of the world too although I can't claim to be one.

Your question - I visited the men on the beach last "summer" (the day after my wife had undergone eye surgery) and there was a strong wind whipping up the sand. Sue had to retreat back to the car and I fully expected it to lose a coat of paint it was so vicious.
    I fully intend going again soon to get those elusive photos.

11. dragabed

dragabed Read Only Funster

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/motorhome-chat/21572-another-place-crosby-post261943.ht

you can wild camp at the bottom of south road , marine parade nice parks and lovely beach south rd its self has 6 pubs all doing food the one at the top by the traffic lights is good as i remember its called the nags head. you are not far from crosby village and a nicer pub the feasant just down the road from the red squirrel. on the way to southport you the have formby , ainsdale, and freshfield all worth a visit in thier own right i dont know how long you are staying for but you could spend a month there no problem and not see it all.have a good time
    dragabed

12. dellwood33

Look out for the Biker Statue :BigGrin:

Attached Files:

13. Loujess

Whoopsy daisy - I can't think why the PC people haven't got hold of you. I'm sure there must be a crime for abuse of statues.

Ivy

14. dellwood33

I was only trying to cover it's embarrasment :Rofl1:

15. keithfal

keithfal Read Only Funster

Another place

We made this our first stop on our first motorhome trip. Its fantastic and we went back the next day at sunset to get better piccies. Amusing to watch the many photographers there - art students etc. Saw one get his wellies filled as he waited as the tide came in. Vist at all states of the tide except highest and you will see something amazing.:BigGrin::BigGrin::BigGrin::Eek!::thumb: