Another milestone - 3 nights without EHU! (1 Viewer)

Jan 7, 2023
Bath, UK
Funster No
MH
Fleurette Wincester
Exp
Since Jan 2023
Wanted to test my new solar/lithium install in the UK before leaving for Europe.
Stayed in two pubs for one night each, then a C&MC site just to empty everything out and use a proper loo ...

We used the microwave, air fryer and toaster every day, and we left for home this morning with 51% in the battery! We were rather lucky with the weather for the last few days, but even so I was well impressed with that!

Next milestones are - empty my waste water, legally and ethically, at somewhere other than a site we are staying at, and to stop thinking of the van loo as not a proper loo...

Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
Because you can. :LOL:
Tinkering with the electrics is the best bit of owning a Motorhome for me.
Not a view I share. As i get older, I just want stuff to work. I don't need hassle.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2022
Watford, Hertfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 599 S
If you're off grid weeks at a time with no problem why would you upgrade?
My point exactly, there are so many posts regarding the "need" for lithium etc, but it's not a NEEDED it is a WANT to power 240v domestic appliances
that are unnecessary.

As #58 an incinerator toilet would be my 1st upgrade choice.

Upvote 0
Mar 29, 2021
Funster No
MH
Swift 696
We are off to Spain for the first time in moho this Sunday. We have a la leisure battery 105ah , what we think is a 60w solar on roof and a portable 80w folding solar. This set up has lasted us 4 nights without h/u previously at festivals. Admittedly we don't have our 'luxury' domestic items but for this trip. We do have a spare leisure battery which we are taking and have bought a 300v inverter for the laptop and toothbrush. Hopefully our basic set up will provide the power we need for the occasions we will be off grid in between the stops where we will have access to hook up.

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 599 S
We are off to Spain for the first time in moho this Sunday. We have a la leisure battery 105ah , what we think is a 60w solar on roof and a portable 80w folding solar. This set up has lasted us 4 nights without h/u previously at festivals. Admittedly we don't have our 'luxury' domestic items but for this trip. We do have a spare leisure battery which we are taking and have bought a 300v inverter for the laptop and toothbrush. Hopefully our basic set up will provide the power we need for the occasions we will be off grid in between the stops where we will have access to hook up.
We've just spent a year in USA, 40 night in RV Parks, necessary to visit some places.
Only a 105ah and 100w solar, we have petrol generator as back-up, only ran it to burn 20l petrol we had.
300w invertor to charge things while driving anf that's 56,000 miles of driving.
As I've said before if you full time then fill your boots but holidaying is not luxury living.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2018
Humberside
Funster No
MH
Geist Phantom
Exp
MoHo since March 2018.
My point exactly, there are so many posts regarding the "need" for lithium etc, but it's not a NEEDED it is a WANT to power 240v domestic appliances
that are unnecessary.

As #58 an incinerator toilet would be my 1st upgrade choice.
You are making the mistake of thinking everyone uses the same setup as you do. My fridge is a 12V compressor so immediately have a high drain item without adding any 230V kit.

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
You are making the mistake of thinking everyone uses the same setup as you do. My fridge is a 12V compressor so immediately have a high drain item without adding any 230V kit.
I don't think so. It's just a reaction to the everyone ought to have at least x solar and y batteries that often appear. If someone has a compressor fridge they obviously are going to need more capacity but when new people ask about solar and batteries the replies quite often do recommend certain set ups regardless of what people might actually use.

Upvote 0
Mar 29, 2021
Funster No
MH
Swift 696
Nothing to be nervous about, focus on enjoying the experience.
There are multiple post already, if people search.
Post some pics
I will try to. We have outward ferry from Plymouth on 5th May return booked for 27th ( sadly we will miss fa cup final unless we change dates or fly back for couple of days,). Leaving Manchester Saturday 4th. Not got too many plans from there...

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 599 S
No mistake, presuming fridge is original manufacture then your van will have necessary power from manufature, not a lithium "upgrade".

Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
More to go wrong WHYYYYYYYYY.....:unsure:

Is the best bit not the freedom to buggering off and see places?

We're all different. Some people think 6 grand leveling systems, microwaves and air fryers are essential for travelling.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
daventess
Jan 7, 2023
Bath, UK
Funster No
MH
Fleurette Wincester
Exp
Since Jan 2023
We're all different. Some people think 6 grand leveling systems, microwaves and air fryers are essential for travelling.

6 grand levelling systems - waste of money, something else to go wrong, etc.
microwaves & airfryers - absolutely essential, should be compulsory like yellow jackets in France.

:reel:

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 599 S
I will try to. We have outward ferry from Plymouth on 5th May return booked for 27th ( sadly we will miss fa cup final unless we change dates or fly back for couple of days,). Leaving Manchester Saturday 4th. Not got too many plans from there...
The best type of adventure, we arrived Halifax Nova Scotia with no plan other than to visit every US State Capitol, planned 2/3 days max.
Check Altas Obcura for off beat things, not sure how well it covers Europe.
Presume you ACSI card/app.
There are several others to find Aires and other free placed if you search forum.

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 599 S
6 grand levelling systems - waste of money, something else to go wrong, etc.
microwaves & airfryers - absolutely essential, should be compulsory like yellow jackets in France.

:reel:
But is the power source for microwave/airfryer not an expensive thing to go wrong as well.
We have Milenco mega ramps, used 4 times on 2 years, fridge works, we're level enough.

Upvote 0
Mar 29, 2021
Funster No
MH
Swift 696
You would be better using a 12v charger for the laptop and a 5v charger (plugs into USB socket) for the toothbrush, that's what we do.
We looked into getting new leads but settled on the inverter as it may come in useful for other things even though it's the less electrically efficient method.

Upvote 0
Jun 17, 2015
Portsmouth
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740
Exp
July 2015 plus 20 years of camping
'Time' is the only thing we don't want to run out of..

and you cant buy it..
Oh yes you can. its why i'm retiring at 55. I've been lucky enough to buy myself a few extra years of freedom :giggle:

On the topic, lithium wasn't needed until I bought that fancy coffee machine that I loved so much at home I wanted to take with me in the van when we go on hols.

Upvote 0

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
No mistake, presuming fridge is original manufacture then your van will have necessary power from manufature, not a lithium "upgrade".
Only if you are on hook up or only want one night without hook up. Our original set up was 120 w solar, 95 or 100 ah lead acid battery and compressor fridge. Arrive mid afternoon with full batteries, donā€™t move van next day which is wet and virtually no solar, by next morning, so two nights, leisure battery down to 12v. We wanted to do more nights without hook not less. So we had a lithium battery installed.

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Oh yes you can. its why i'm retiring at 55. I've been lucky enough to buy myself a few extra years of freedom :giggle:

On the topic, lithium wasn't needed until I bought that fancy coffee machine that I loved so much at home I wanted to take with me in the van when we go on hols.
I also retired at 55 , that was 20 happy years ago. šŸ˜Š

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp

That's the big decision with retirement you can have more money and less time or vice versa.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back