May 29, 2015
Worthing,West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Fairford PVC
Exp
Since 2002
Hi
I have just had my annual insurance quote for next year, existing company, who I have been with for 8 -9 years are quoting £434 including full U.K. And EU breakdown. Caravan Club quoted almost £600, but that is a bit of a guess as they couldn't quote for annual EU breakdown. Saga quoted £338 for full cover, including U.K. And EU breakdown.
Anyone had dealings with Saga?

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
Fell out with them a few years ago, premium kept going up and eventually I said unless they reduced it I was going to move, they offered a £10 loyalty bonus. Told them what to do with it and moved to Comfort, saved a couple of hundred pounds. Been there 5 years or so, premium still within a few pounds of the original.

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
Saga quoted me ridiculous premiums on a car some time ago, have been with Comfort since purchase of the MH , Policy is written by Aviva ( previously known as N U) Full UK and European cover inc Breakdown
and will even chauffer it home it I were to be taken ill. Premium has not increased year on year. We have a new MH on order and they are only quoting a nominal increase.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Not used them for MH insurance but used them in the past for car insurance and house insurance. Were good when we had a claim.

Denise

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Saga I used them for a couple of years for house insurance.
All was good until the third year rolled around and the premium shot up by over £100.
Bearing in mind I was paying more than I could have got it for, but that I am happy to pay a little more for good service and no hassle.

I haven't used them since or enquired for a quote either.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I had a quote from saga years ago.......they won't forget you, bombarded with mailshots and emails ever since.
Can't do much about mail but emails go straight to spam.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Hi
I have just had my annual insurance quote for next year, existing company, who I have been with for 8 -9 years are quoting £434 including full U.K. And EU breakdown. Caravan Club quoted almost £600, but that is a bit of a guess as they couldn't quote for annual EU breakdown. Saga quoted £338 for full cover, including U.K. And EU breakdown.
We're insured with them, had one claim, which they handled superbly. No problems whatsoever and great customer service.

However, over the next three years they just kept increasing the premium and wouldn't match lower quotes so we left them.

The following year they "invited" us back with a low quote that they wouldn't provide when we were existing customers.

We may consider using them again in future in view of our experience with the claim.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Insurance is like going into the bookies.
You're betting YOUR money that you will have a claim.
They're accepting YOUR money and crossing their fingers you don't.

In my view, (and assuming all other things are equal) The Bookie with the best odds wins MY money.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
They ALL rely on your inertia.
Move every year unless the quotes stay sensible.
Mitch.

skipper64

Free Member
Nov 28, 2012
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2001
I have insured motorhome with Saga for several years,had two call outs on the Continent,can't speak too highly of the way these were dealt with.Plus my premium with them went down this year,albeit only by £6 but not an increase which we come to expect.

WhiteCheyenneMan

Free Member
Sep 29, 2011
TN30, Nr Tenterden
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011
Insurance depends on who you are, where you live etc., etc., but we've always found the Camping and Caravanning Club's insurance to be the most competitive for both caravan and Motorhome...................never had to claim though...........?

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I use the NFU for mine and it covers me for a NEW van if written off in the first three years It was dear but when the NCB came off it was down to the range of the others.. I had a claim at home when we were broken into and they took some camera stuff. The insurers wanted to replace with the latest new model, which I queried, they said it was the policy and that they would be better off doing that because of the buying power, than trying to get a like for like, on the stolen one. I was delighted with the service and can recommend the NFU to everybody IF you have a decent NCB to bring the cost down. They are a Mutual and not a underwriter based company. It does make a difference.

Oct 17, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
40 years caravanning. New A-class Moho owners
Just this evening I was checking renewal for my wife's car. On the 3 sites I use, gocompare, moneysaving and confused, Saga were the lowest quote on them all by quite a distance. Whether they are looking for MH business, I don't know. Worth a try I suppose.

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Saga are known for fishing. They reel us in with a very competitive quote then a year later double the renewal. Just left them as they shot up to nearly double. Got a good deal with Comfort. Caravan club insurance is now normally a joke. Never bother them as they're always dearer.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Been with Comfort ever since we bought the van, second year, the premium came down, last renewal it went up by £3, but that was because I declared all of the new toys that are now attached to the van :D

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I have to pay mine on Monday before I head south for the Festive Season...

€246... including any driver and European breakdown cover.

Zurich Insurance.

JJ :cool:

Last edited:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Comfort insurance. Full European breakdown 365 days cover, all the toys declared including the remap, insured for £59000 and costs just £298

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
It pays to shop around. I just had my insurance renewal quote from Caravan and Motorhome Club for my Mercedes car which was higher the last year but only a little. I got a quote from Saga which was exactly the same cover and £80, yes £80 cheaper. (£230.00 fully comp)The C&M Club really were not interested even though I insure my motohome and house and contents with them and simply said they would not match Saga so it's cheerio from me.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I change insu
Hi
I change insurance
rance companys every year,,Only way to keep the premium down,,Do the same with car insurance,, BUSBY,,

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Saga are known for fishing. They reel us in with a very competitive quote then a year later double the renewal. Just left them as they shot up to nearly double. Got a good deal with Comfort. Caravan club insurance is now normally a joke. Never bother them as they're always dearer.
A year later change companies,,They all do the same,,loyalty does not mean a thing,,BUSBY,,

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
I insured my car with Saga last year, very good price. Tried them for motorhome cover, and it was astronomical. So was the car renewal that they've just sent through, nearly three time as much as last year. Now gone elsewhere, but at least Saga confirmed my 21 years NCD for the new insurer.

I can't help thinking they could keep their priced more competitive if they didn't constantly bombard customers with junk mail.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back