Anniversary Waltz (more of a Wander) through France

Discussion in 'France' started by DavidG58, Jan 26, 2016.

1. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

After our engine issues, we are now raring to go, had a one day test drive to boost confidence all round, now just about to book a Chunnel crossing for early Feb, returning towards the end of Feb traversing our 35th wedding anniversary on 14th Feb :h:, a wander through France

Before we had the engine issues we bought into a frequent traveller package on the Tunnel, shared with a fellow Funster and we were quite sure we would use our three return trips, but then we started with the limp issues

The bad thing is we only ever used one, the next bad thing is they have to be used including being home again by the anniversary of the set up which was 2nd March 15, but the good thing is we have a free trip, well sort of free, we still have to add in the supplements for the motorhome and Lola, but it still means a return trip for less than £50, technically of course it is still £150 but most of it was paid last year and long since forgotten about (y)

The last time we went, my thread title mentioned the classic get to France and turn right or left, we sort of did both, me being persuaded to go up to Holland for the bulbs then down to Bordeaux, this time I am taking a little more control (yeah right) :) but we will be going straight on or right for sure this time (y)

Nothing fixed although we will be committing to a return date, part of todays planning, my thought for night 1 or last night is one of the aires beside the Seine to the west of Rouen, a couple get regularly mentioned on here, will be trawling back through older threads in search of options for all the other nights

Nothing at all planned other than we would like to revisit Millau, possibly get down to the Carmargue and Carcassonne, plus we have an open date with @yodeli will try to work that in :)

Maps and diaries out on table as I write this, to be continued.................. :):)

• Like Like x 10
  2. canopus

canopus Funster Life Member

There is a cracking little private aire at Heurteauville called Les Cerisiers but not sure when it opens. Failing that there is always La Mailleraye-sur-Seine just up the road.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

Many thanks Ken, I really admire those of you that can just recall these place names, even when I make a note of them I cant even remember where I kept the notes :D

La Mailleraye - sur - Seine was one I had heard of (y)

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. canopus

canopus Funster Life Member

Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Rob and Val

Rob and Val Funster

So pleased to hear that problem with the 'van has now been sorted. A few years ago we stayed at
    Camping Municipal Eure Et Seine
    Quai Marechal Foch
    Pont De L Arche
    Normandy
    It's on the banks of the River Eure near to where it joins with the Seine and it's an easy walk into town. A lovely place to stay.
    We're looking forward to hearing about your adventures and keeping our fingers crossed that all will go well for you.

6. scousebird

scousebird Funster

love it there & there is a bar, boulangerie and small supermarket all within easy walking distance

• Like Like x 1
  7. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

Thanks for that, we have had many a night there, always on the adjacent free aire / car park, including a mini adventure last time there with one of my (many) flat batteries, another problem hopefully overcome with the new cab battery fitted in June 15 :)

8. Fenman

Fenman Funster

Well I have been following the saga of going limp and am so pleased that you're sorted.
    What a romantic day for a wedding anniversary.;) Bit different to ours which is 1st April:whistle: At least I can't forget the date - or would lose certain parts of the anatomy if I did.o_O 38 years for us this year.
    On top of all that you couldn't go to a more romantic place for a celebration. Just enjoy.(y)

• Like Like x 1
  9. TheCaller

TheCaller Funster

David, you told us about the aire at Pont de L'Arche. We looked in on our way south last May, but didn't stay as it was only lunchtime. We did stay for four nights in the adjoining campsite on the way back though. Lovely little place - view of both the Eure & the Seine in front of us & the old town right there outside the gate.

We wouldn't have been able to stay on the aire because the aire, the adjoining car park & the grassy bit under the bridge were all taken up by a combination of a visiting fair & a temporary market. You will have the opposite restriction - the campsite doesn't open until the beginning of April.

Several handy places to eat - in particular a very nice restaurant on the south side of the first square you come to as you go up into the town. On the corner of Rue Jean Prieur & Rue Huauit I think.

As you will already know, there are walks in both directions along the banks of the Eure, more particularly upstream. We didn't get to see the inside of the church, but it's pretty spectacular from the outside!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. scousebird

scousebird Funster

We once went to park up at the aire at Pont de L'Arche to visit the market but it was full of travellers so we drove away :(

11. FIDGET

FIDGET Funster

Hi David,
    Another small aire on the seine a few miles up from La Maileraye, is St Nicolas de Bliquetuit.
    GPS:
    N 49.52102, E 0.72737
    N 49°31'16", E 0°43'39"
    no services room for about 8 moho's
    upload_2016-1-26_18-11-57.jpeg
    upload_2016-1-26_18-12-48.jpeg
    upload_2016-1-26_18-11-57.jpeg upload_2016-1-26_18-12-48.jpeg upload_2016-1-26_18-11-57.jpeg upload_2016-1-26_18-12-48.jpeg

Attached Files:

• Thanks Thanks x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

We drove through Clermont Ferrand and Millau last week and it was heavy snow! Keep an eye on the weather if you go that way as it is often freezing at this time of year.....

:)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

It is a route we used a lot when we caravanned taking the kids always in school holidays, but we used to read out the roadside markers, sad yes, but we did it and will do again if we go down next month :) they quote the altitude every 200m or so, always amazed us how high we were, think if memory recalls correctly you get up to 1300m, compare that to Britains highest motorway M62 at just over 1000' 300m, and Ben Nevis our highest mountain 1344m!! it is little wonder it snows up there :)

• Like Like x 2
  14. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

Excitement now building, must be my age, don't remember having such feelings just before going away before

I have put to bed any worries about the turbo

Ordered 2 new maps (see other thread for details) both arrived, one gong with us :)

Sorted out a 3 sim for our motorhome wifi mifi, took advice for youngest daughter as I couldn't keep up with the offers and options constantly changing. Bev has gone for a 12Gb 12 month option for her ipad, I was going to buy 2 x 7Gb 3 month options, but that offer went, now have a contract, well sort of, 20Gb / month on contract for £20 / month. But you have an option for cancelling on day 1, so I have effectively bought a 20Gb one month wonder, should do me for 18 days (y)

Motorhome washed by local Polski's, £20 (y)

Only thing unresolved is the wheel balancing, taken it to three places now, apparently the centre of the wheel is much larger diameter than normal, so they say, but they all said it wouldn't fit on their machines, more precisely they cant fix it on to do the job. So we have a self imposed 62mph limit, above that the shaking of the steering wheel is not nice, but we tend to stick at 100kph anyway, so a near perfect speed limit, lets just hope it doesn't get lower if they go any more out of balance

We are away for the weekend with eldest daughter who has just confirmed she will deliver us our third grandchild this year (her first) :):):):):), youngest daughter is sorting her and our second, due in July:):)

This weekend I will find an answer for the 'blended' black waste down grey drain riddle, (see other post) at least I will find out what applies at a Somers Wood http://www.somerswood.co.uk/ we will see what they say. Looks like a nice site, first time there for us

Then Sunday am early off for Tunnel, followed by an aire somewhere in northern France (y)(y)(y)

Back to packing

• Like Like x 11
  15. Easyliving

Easyliving Funster

I know what you mean about being excited before a trip David. We are not France bound till June but I already have the books and maps out plotting our route to Brittany. We have stayed on the aire at La Mailleraye Sur Seine several times now, lovely spot and a not too long drive from Calais. There are a couple of funsters who have posted dashcam videos of the aire here and here.

On the subject of anniversaries - 35 years? pah, newleyweds! Its our 40th later this year. I would like a few days out in the van but she wants an expensive weekend in London.

Paul

• Like Like x 2
  16. Hymie

Hymie Funster

David, have you tried ATS for wheel balancing?

Hymie.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

Back to a minor panic tonight, Bev says over tea, have you got our euros, no says I, we have loads left from last year, oh says Bev I thought you paid the plasterers in euros last year

Oh yes replied I, oops,

Post Office in the morning, at least we discussed it tonight not tomorrow in Birmingham :)

18. Dazzlin

Dazzlin Funster Life Member

"It is a route we used a lot when we caravanned taking the kids always in school holidays, but we used to read out the roadside markers, sad yes, but we did it and will do again if we go down next month :) they quote the altitude every 200m or so, always amazed us how high we were, think if memory recalls correctly you get up to 1300m, compare that to Britains highest motorway M62 at just over 1000' 300m, and Ben Nevis our highest mountain 1344m!! it is little wonder it snows up there"

We avidly watch the markers also when going overthe top on the A75.
    Puts it into perspective when we are here at Tafraoute in Morocco at 1,200m in shorts and 28° daytime, but down to 10° at night. Chilly!!!

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  19. denisejoe

denisejoe Funster Life Member

Why not get your Euro's from a cash machine in France when you get there with the right card you will get the day rate and no commission

Joe

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. davanne

davanne Funster

That's what we usually do:)

• Thanks Thanks x 1