Oct 23, 2009
Anglesey North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2010
Mont Blanc Tunnel.
You don't say where you are starting from! Assuming you are wanting safe, flat, easy roads, you would be coming down the main south Peage (A26, A5, A31, A6, St Quentin, Reims, Troyes, Langres, Dijon, Macon), take the A40 at Macon. This leads to the Autoroute Blanche and takes you straight to the tunnel. There is only one spot where you may feel a tad iffy over the height. The Passy viaduct. Check it out on Google and see if it's OK.

The other side of the tunnel is the E25 which runs through the Valle d'Aosta. Lovely scenery (no drops or heights!) until you leave the Valley. Stay on the E25 until you reach the junction for the A4 for Milano.

You don't say which lake area you are going to!
For Maggiore, d'Ota, Monate, Commabio, and Varesi you come off before Milano.
For Como and Lugano , come off just notrth of Milano.
For d'Iseo & Endine, come off before Brescia
For Garda and d'Idro, come off after Brescia
Thanks for the very comprehensive reply .
We are coming from Annecy on the 20th ish June and heading towards the quieter lakes in Italy. We have nothing booked as yet so given it’s approaching the busy holiday I think I may struggle getting onto sites on the more popular lakes .

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
What's all this talk of 130, 150 and 180bhp and suitability for the St Bernard. Its not long ago we were managing with 85bhp Talbot Expresses. Come on fellas. 130bhp on the 3500t is fine. Just takes a bit longer.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008
What's all this talk of 130, 150 and 180bhp and suitability for the St Bernard. Its not long ago we were managing with 85bhp Talbot Expresses. Come on fellas. 130bhp on the 3500t is fine. Just takes a bit longer.
My last two vans were 130s and were absolutely fine up there.
Its the same with trucks, when I drove I had less than 400hp at 40t and managed on them roads absolutely fine.
These days anything less than 500hp and nobody wants to drive them.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Mont Blanc Tunnel.
You don't say where you are starting from! Assuming you are wanting safe, flat, easy roads, you would be coming down the main south Peage (A26, A5, A31, A6, St Quentin, Reims, Troyes, Langres, Dijon, Macon), take the A40 at Macon. This leads to the Autoroute Blanche and takes you straight to the tunnel. There is only one spot where you may feel a tad iffy over the height. The Passy viaduct. Check it out on Google and see if it's OK.

The other side of the tunnel is the E25 which runs through the Valle d'Aosta. Lovely scenery (no drops or heights!) until you leave the Valley. Stay on the E25 until you reach the junction for the A4 for Milano.

You don't say which lake area you are going to!
For Maggiore, d'Ota, Monate, Commabio, and Varesi you come off before Milano.
For Como and Lugano , come off just notrth of Milano.
For d'Iseo & Endine, come off before Brescia
For Garda and d'Idro, come off after Brescia
Thanks for the great information, not sure I dare risk looking at google though 😉
Starting off by tunnel hoping not to use peage too much, as regards lakes hoping to do Garda, Maggiore and Como. Have been before on the bike (Como) and the others on package holidays, Went to Rome in first motorhome, well not into rome, but campsite nearby. Stayed at a couple of small lakes on the way back, no idea which.
Will be looking for a new hypnotherapist on monday
We went through Switzerland last time we went to Italy.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Here's one photo I have found on the way to mont blanc tunnel, doesn't look to taxing does it.
ldv trip 013.JPG

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Of those routes (i use most of them monthly) i would choose Simplon. Why ? Well it’s a nice balance between the scenic aspect and it’s easy although as said i probably do St Bernard and Simplon min once a month so there’s no novelty there for me. The passes vs the tunnels ? On a bike (push or motor) = all fine, nice car also the same but i just found it was a bit hard work in the van but probably I’m not experienced enough a driver of larger vehicles.

Snow is now clear on Simplon since a couple of weeks (was over it on Monday) although there is some roadworks but there are some on St Bernard as well.

If you like thermal baths then i can thoroughly recommend Brig as a stop over before you hit the Alps, it’s just a few mins before Simplon. Just look for Bridgerbad (Brig baths) it’s 200m of the main road and great for a nice day through Valais.

If you’re less than 3.2m height then you can also take the train from Brig through the Alps although that is least scenic route :unsure: But i use it in Winter when i know it’s chilly up top.

There’s plenty of sites near Verbania and the Allesi factory store is just around the cornero_O

Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
And how much more wear on the engine? Getting up is the easier bit. However, I've towed a 1300kg car trailer behind our bus and watched the temperature creep into the red (on the Passy viaduct actually). Without the trailer, we fly up it.

I notice that brakes aren't mentioned in your reply. I've had full brake fade in a 4 ton Bedford. Scared the living $hite out of me. I've followed someone downhill with smoke billowing out of their rear wheels. A view ain't worth knacking your holiday or destroying your bus.

But, each to their own.

hmj

Apr 28, 2018
Funster No
Hi
We did this a few weeks ago. Mt Blanc tunnel from France was a not great €60 odd, four and a half hour queue on the French side. We used the South route from Annecy -Ugene- Megeve- St-Gervais-Les-Bains. Then joined motorway just before the tunnel. I hope this may help.
M

Nov 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
We use two sites if going through MB tunnel. Either Arc en Ciel right at the top of the pass, or Mombarone as you leave the Aosta valley.

Both cheap. Arc on Ciel has great views and scenery, but has few facilities. Mombarone is just inside the Piedmont/Aosta border. More facilities, friendly people. The travel distance between the two is an hour (at 95kmh!)

Nov 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Hi
We did this a few weeks ago. Mt Blanc tunnel from France was a not great €60 odd, four and a half hour queue on the French side. We used the South route from Annecy -Ugene- Megeve- St-Gervais-Les-Bains. Then joined motorway just before the tunnel. I hope this may help.
M

My satnav has changed it's mind and says go the way you suggest, starting from Annecy. I think I'll give it a go this summer. Cheers.

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
And how much more wear on the engine? Getting up is the easier bit. However, I've towed a 1300kg car trailer behind our bus and watched the temperature creep into the red (on the Passy viaduct actually). Without the trailer, we fly up it.

I notice that brakes aren't mentioned in your reply. I've had full brake fade in a 4 ton Bedford. Scared the living $hite out of me. I've followed someone downhill with smoke billowing out of their rear wheels. A view ain't worth knacking your holiday or destroying your bus.

But, each to their own.
Brake fade is caused by one of two things really, carrying too much speed, poorly maintained brakes.
Any vehicle will run warm on inclines whether it’s 100hp or 300hp. You just have to drive to the conditions.

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
6 Months with motorhome(35 years tugging)

But, each to their own.
A Bedford? Those brakes were crap when new! The brakes would fade even when new!!

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years

But, each to their own.
I'm no expert on engines but using simple laws of physics:

1. If the engines are identical (e.g 2.3 FIAT) then regardless of the max BHP, a vehicle of the same mass, driving up the same hill, at the same speed will use the same amount of power and the the 'wear' on the engine will be equal in all BHP rated mXimums.

2. The vehicles with the same engines but different tuning to increase power output will be able to go up the hill faster but in achieving that extra speed the engine will have to work harder.

My conclusion would be that a lower tuned engine would wear at the same rate as a more tuned engine unless the more tuned engine was driven faster.

I didnt mention brakes but I imagine the Bedford's had drum brakes which are not able to shed heat as well as a disc brake and that's why they were rubbish.

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
I'm no expert on engines but using simple laws of physics:

1. If the engines are identical (e.g 2.3 FIAT) then regardless of the max BHP, a vehicle of the same mass, driving up the same hill, at the same speed will use the same amount of power and the the 'wear' on the engine will be equal in all BHP rated mXimums.

2. The vehicles with the same engines but different tuning to increase power output will be able to go up the hill faster but in achieving that extra speed the engine will have to work harder.

My conclusion would be that a lower tuned engine would wear at the same rate as a more tuned engine unless the more tuned engine was driven faster.

I didnt mention brakes but I imagine the Bedford's had drum brakes which are not able to shed heat as well as a disc brake and that's why they were rubbish.
Bedford brakes were air over oil and as previously mentioned, weren’t the best when new.
I used to work on them many years ago, mainly horse boxes and used to have a hell of a game getting them through test.

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
Bedford brakes were air over oil and as previously mentioned, weren’t the best when new.
I used to work on them many years ago, mainly horse boxes and used to have a hell of a game getting them through test.
Is see. I thought they were referring to the little before campers :LOL:

Crystalmulti

Free Member
Feb 28, 2018
Funster No
In recent years we have used the Rail Link through the Tunnel from Kandersteg in the Bernese Oberland through to Isella on the foothills of the Italian Alps. The journey is spectacular, you stay in your vehicle. No hot brakes, no stress and a speedy transit. Its 98 CHF, Hope this helps? https://www.bls.ch/en/fahren/unterwegs-mit/autoverlad/kandersteg-iselle

Last edited:
May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp

Crystalmulti

Free Member
Feb 28, 2018
Funster No
Hi, Did you get the service through to Isella in Italy? It’s a spectacular ride along the Sion valley. With the price of fuel nowadays it’s even more cost effective.

Nov 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
In recent years we have used the Rail Link through the Tunnel from Kandersteg in the Bernese Oberland through to Isella on the foothills of the Italian Alps. The journey is spectacular, you stay in your vehicle. No hot brakes, no stress and a speedy transit. Its 98 CHF, Hope this helps? https://www.bls.ch/en/fahren/unterwegs-mit/autoverlad/kandersteg-iselle
Thanks for this. I'd never heard of it, but miserably, I don't think I can. It sounds excellent and I really would like to have used it. Brig is so easy to get to. Skirt Lake Geneva on the Morge & Lausanne road and take the main road to Sion. Lovely scenery too.

Problem is that the website shows that for the Kanderstag to Isella, and the Brig to Isella trains, the 'carriage' has a sloping profile. I think that our bus it too high on that sloping part.
1655122042152.png

Happy to be wrong...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back