Angled Interior Mirror.

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Tootles, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Tootles

Tootles Funster

Saw the other post on mirrors, which jogged my old and feeble mind into action. :Smile:

Does anyone know if an interior, (rear view) mirror is manufactured, that allows you to swing half of it over to the right, allowing you to see right at left hand turns, when driving a LHD motorhome without a passenger??
    This is a real problem. In order to turn left at filtered junctions, you must proceed as though meaning to go right, and hope that cars behind can see your indicators, and don't try to squeeze between your left hand side and the kerb. If you don't move into at least the centre of the junction, you cant see traffic approaching from the right........

Does that make sense??? :Doh:

2. icantremember

icantremember Funster

No:Doh:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Tootles

Tootles Funster

Right. :cry:

4. icantremember

icantremember Funster

I thought you meant left!!

• Like Like x 1
  5. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Can you get some sort of convex mirror which attaches to the top of the offside door mirror?

You could always experiment - could be the latest Great British Invention :BigGrin:

• Like Like x 2
  6. Tootles

Tootles Funster

OH DEAR........"Pass the service revolver Carruthers, I may be away some time............":cry:

• Like Like x 2
  7. Tootles

Tootles Funster

Thought about that one Graham, but the downsides rule out the upsides......Even thought of a camera mounted on the right hand side, activated by a switch on the dash. How do all these LHD HGV's go on?? They must have something to help them when driving over here?????

8. icantremember

icantremember Funster

9. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

With 7.5 Ton of left hand drive if you feel the need to sneak up my inside feel free
    As any good HGV driver will tell you
    "Take command of the road"
    I position myself in all manner of strange positions to "prevent" what i suspect may happen
    If you cant work out what im going to do thats good for me, you will hang back,
    If you try and guess and get it wrong thats bad for you:RollEyes:
    G

• Like Like x 2
  10. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

I think the established technique is to drive as though you were in a proper van, which means taking junctions at right angles. Assuming there are no side windows you can use in your MH.

The other alternative and only if there is room to do this when filtering left and assuming a LHD vehicle in the UK, is to approach the junction keeping right then turning sharply left (indicating that you are turning left up to this point) so the vehicle ends up parallel to the road you are joining, at which point you should be able to use the right hand door mirror to see what is coming. At which point I would put my right indicator on, just as you do when joining a motorway down a slip road. Then push slowly in!

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  11. Tootles

Tootles Funster

BUT, if I put my RIGHT indicator on when turning left, and something happens untoward, (like a goon behind cutting in as I turn left), then legally I'm in the wrong.

12. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

Adjusting the rearview mirror does not help a lot. I tried it but it gives only a narrow view through the right hand window. Now I use a pair of blind spot mirrors (one each side) - the larger Hercules model shown here:
    http://www.vancomfort.co.uk/blindspotmirrors.htm
    They are clamped to the top of the existing side mirrors and I have cut away an angled slice from the Hercules' plastic housing to allow viewing at maximum 'down-tilt' and 'turn-out'.

Then I have a fresnel lens on the passenger's window (A-class) but be aware that it only gives a view of what is quite close and below / behind you. Very useful for spotting cyclists, small cars in lines of traffic and the last stage of being overtaken on a motorway by a car, before you see it pulling past.
    http://www.shop.fta.co.uk/p-1318-hi-vu-self-adhesive-pvc-fresnel-lens.aspx

As others have said, positioning is everything at a junction.
    An additional benefit might be a proper truck-sized blind spot mirror but that would need to be bolted through the bodywork, unless you have an existing mirror D-bar (some older A-classes have these).

• Like Like x 1
  13. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

I think you have misunderstood DevonBeeKeeper's logic. I too sometimes do as he suggests. Basically, it can only be done easily when you have a junction with a good cut-away kerb to the left. You approach the junction towards the right whilst signalling your intention to turn left. Then pull across to the left so that you are as close to parallel as possible with the road you intend to join. At this point, anyone behind you will probably not be able to get past on either side and will not be able to see your RH rear indicator anyway. The point of signalling right at this stage is merely to warn any vehicle approaching from behind on the road you are joining, that you are about to pull out into 'their' carriageway. In many cases this last signal is unnecessary - and the manoeuvre only works when the junction is wide enough and has a sweeping curve to the kerb as mentioned at the start.

• Like Like x 1
  14. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

Being in LHD I understand your problem, I have wide angle mirrors on top of the standard ones and this does help BUT be careful using these as things are a lot lot closer than they look. The best technique is keeping straight on to the junction as you describe but not all road layouts allow this, it is even worse when the bloody seat belt lock as you approach the junction and you can't lean forward.

Martin

• Like Like x 1
  15. Yorick

Yorick Funster

Have 2 mirrors ?

16. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

You just give up too easy. What's happened to the Tynsel spirit? :Rofl1::Rofl1:

17. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

could never get my head round that action....

You're on a one way road,often with one lane, with no exits to the left (assuming a UK motorway) and a limited amount of lane ahead.....where the hell do other drivers think you are going to go....continue driving on the hard shoulder :Doh:

A completely unneccesary action in my view.

18. 2bob

2bob Funster

as op said hgv mirrors i drove lh sweeper no prolem when pulling out

19. callumwa

callumwa Read Only Funster

I have a 6" screen for the rear view camera attached to my original mirror. I have no rear windows so the mirror on it's own serves no purpose.

I have a 2nd mirror which I used mainly when my little lad was small, strapped in his baby child's chair, so I could see what he was doing whilst sat in the back.

Could you not fix a second mirror somewhere it would give you vision in the direction you require?

20. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Why not stick one of these through your MH's roof???? :Rofl1:

Seriously, if it is that much of a problem I'd be tempted to fit a wide angle camera looking out through the passenger window (ie on the right) at a suitable angle, which then feeds the image to a monitor in front of you so you can see as if there was a passenger there.

Attached Files: