And update on the trailer situation

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Jaws, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

As you may remember, 45 miles before the gearbox decided to die in the motorhome, we had a wheel bearing collapse on the trailer.
    It went in a BIG way and damaged the axle.

Up shot is the folk in France cannot get anything like it and say they can have one made in four or five weeks.
    The cost of this, plus the fitting etc etc will be somewhat more than the value of the trailer ( £800 )

So I now have to get to France and collect the car, and they are keeping the trailer waving the parking fees accrued ( not mentioned before ) in lue of them keeping the trailer :-(
    All I will have to pay them is the recovery fee to take the trailer off the garage forecourt on the motorway to their garage ( 2 or 3 miles ) which I suspect will be about 200 € from what I can gather.

Hope to do the collection on Saturday if I can find someone willing to jump on he back of my bike and then drive the smartie home

I must thank Frankie ( @yodeli )for being an absolute god send by being the intermediary in all of this.. I think I would never have got anything sorted out without her help !

• Like Like x 10
  2. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

No internet in France then John.

Someone made the bearing and a pound to a penny it wasnt unique to that axle/trailer....could fit a myriad of different machines.

A company near me can provide almost any current bearing by the dimensions and whether high speed or not.

Opps, just realised it also damaged the axle.

3. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

If it was just the bearing it would def not be a problem mate..
    My luck is continuing as I cannot find anyone who can go with me ( and it now seems it MUST be Thursday )

Getting to the point where despair is starting to kick in.. just wanna hold up my hands and give in

4. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

I would have thought there must be somebody on here going over this week, get a lift with them, small admin fee to change their ticket, job done, I would if I was (y)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

That would be nice David, but I know full well it aint gonna happen mate..
    If I fell in a bowl of money at the moment I would just get a broken tooth from hitting the only 50p in it !

• Like Like x 1
  6. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

Shame I am so far away or I would come with you no problem John. I had the same thing happen to me the bearing went and stripped the retaining nut off and ground away the backplate. I managed a temporary repair of the backplate and disabled the brakes. the thread was damaged so I filed it down all the way around and cut a new thread the next size down, new bearing and got home ok. Anything is salvageable if you have the gear handy. Is there no funster going that way who could drop you off so you could drive the smarty home?
    A frame smarty back or borrow another trailer?

7. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Sadly the stub axle has a massive EXTRA groove and all sorts of other damage where the tapered part fits.. there are chunks and bumps out it all over the place..
    To be honest, if I could have got it home I know full well I could have fixed it,,, But I can't so there is sod all I can do except swallow the loss.. And the way things are going I might end up losing my car as well.. If that happens then it will be good bye motorhome as I cannot afford to replace the car on top of all the expenses getting the gear box sorted out etc etc..

Proly being massively negative here to be truthful, but starting to find it pretty hard to find any bright sides now .. The 'feeling sorry for myself' thing is no good at all so will just have to buck up and find something to smile about :)

8. Wildman

get there on your own without the bike, nearest airport, train bus, thumb etc
    Come on funsters this man needs help. Where exactly is the smart.

• Like Like x 1
  9. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

John.............. If it`s any help...... after next Tues/Weds, I will be free...

Don`t know what you are thinking of,,,, but I have a Kia Ceed. (Not mine it`s Judy`s.. :Eeek:)......

It has a tow bar and should just about pull the Smart & Trailer if you have the bit`s to fix the trailer...

Seem`s a shame to leave the trailer if it can be fixed... Even if the trailer can be patched up and towed solo and you drive the Smart..

Offer is there if you want.. (y)

• Like Like x 4
  10. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

I know exactly where your coming Frome john can you post some picks of the axle can it not be reworked so you can get it home.
    if I was fit john I wold jump at the chance to help you
    good luck mate
    bill

• Like Like x 1
  11. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 1
  12. yodeli

yodeli Funster Life Member

John you can still go only next Tuesday. The lady said (as you leave he trailer there for their benefit) you won't have any parking fee. So nothing obliges you to be there on Thursday.

Monday being "Easter Monday", they can't be shut AND complain you didn't pick up the car! I won't let them anyway.

Don't give up! I'm sure there's a way to get there, by train or bus if you're on your own. What about your insurance company? Don't they do this sort of service? taking you where the car is? Breakdown insurance are made for this, aren't they? If only I was up there.....

• Like Like x 3
  13. rolandrat

rolandrat Funster

Wouldn't it be possible to go down with another trailer with a winch and piggy back them home.

14. Wildman

ADAC would have seen the lot taken home for you.

15. TUCANO

TUCANO Funster

John,
    Apologies if this sounds silly, could you not foot passenger it on the ferry and try to make friends with Brits going approximately in the direction you want, thumb it the remainder of the way (y)

Dismantle/scrap trailer and then simply drive the car home, just trying to think of a way out of your predicament as I really don't have any idea of the cost of a trailer.

Good luck whatever you do.

Norman.

• Like Like x 1
  16. pandj

pandj Funster Life Member

Hi John
    Where abouts is the car? We know people in St Pol near Arras who i'm sure would only be too happy to help out fellow bikers if they could.
    Paul

• Like Like x 1
  17. Baycott

Baycott Funster

@Jaws Would it just be a day return John?
    Depending on times I may be able to help.

• Like Like x 3
  18. rolandrat

rolandrat Funster

Is the stub axle bolted on to the main frame or is it welded on. There's a large trailer manufacturer near Bolton who have a trade counter for new spare parts called Inde spension.

19. yodeli

yodeli Funster Life Member

Esclavelle seems to be the name of the town and it is in the 76 department . Exact code is 76210 I found it with the name of the garage.
    I do hope someone can help!
    May be John doesn't have breakdown insurance.

• Like Like x 2
  20. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Doesnt look too far into France.