An electric bike question

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Charlie, Nov 7, 2015.

1. Charlie

Charlie Funster

My 61 year old sister is struggling badly cycling to work. Her knees are shot and its getting very hard for her. She was looking at getting a wee car but the running costs are beyond what she can afford.

So I suggested and electric bike.

Here requirements are two journeys to work and back each day. so for trips at about for miles each day so say 16 miles daily. Her route takes her up hill on the way so its roughly 8 miles of her commute up hill and 8 down hill.

This is every day 5 days a week so a bike if suitable needs to be able to cope with what to me is quite a lot of use. Sister is ... Well not of slight build either :)

So will one of these electric bikes do the job ? If so which one is best and where would be a good place to buy from hopefully with decent back up ?

Remember this is a bike for a twice daily commute not for just a few miles each holiday so it would have to be man enough for the job .

Many thanks ! (y)(y)

2. Ranger

Ranger Funster

Have a Google for Woosh Cycles, they have been around a long time and have lots of practical information on their site. All electric bikes are electric assist, they are not like a moped. We have two of their bikes and did over 1000 miles on mine the first year. Bear in mind that with the change in legislation bikes sold after January 2016 must be peddled all the time.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Oriel

Oriel

• Like Like x 1
  4. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

Its all a matter of budget Charlie, would rather have a good used then a new rubbish e bike. let us know the budget and i'll hunt round. I prefer bikes with the Bosch drive system

• Like Like x 2
  5. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

That range is certainly well within our AS Bikes range..
    I think it was Donna ( our daughter ) who did 28 miles in Germany on hers !! ( She is a bit of a fitness freak like her old man, Des )

6. ceejayt

ceejayt Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 1
  7. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

If this implies she has a full car licence then her best bet is a 50cc scooter. Definitely enough power. Costs little to run and can be bought cheaper than a good e-bike that will only give her help up a hill.

• Like Like x 8
  8. Judge Mental

look at adds that allow offers like this one..you can be surprised what they will accept this time of year with 2015 stock to shift

http://tinyurl.com/pm675qu

This one £862 postage normally around 40-60 quid. would try an offer £700 and take it from here. even at advertised price its very good value. Agree with @hilldweller about the scooter. but that wont strenthen her legs or improve her health and general well being..

If you don't use em you loose em!:)

Last edited: Nov 7, 2015
  9. Charlie

Charlie Funster

Doesn't have to be new mate.. Budget is on the tight side but I will advise her on the fact cheap is a false economy. I should stress it's only looking and seeking advice as to wether one of these bikes will do the job not aggressively looking to buy ! Cheers !

10. Charlie

Charlie Funster

I'm not sure a motor scooter would be a great idea.. She has cycled for over 40 years but the transformation to a scooter might not be good for her. I think a bicycle with assistance may be s better bet . Plus she hasn't got insurance MOT and tax to budget for ?

11. Robert Clark

Robert Clark Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 1
  12. Judge Mental

pretty crude to be honest and i feel without knowing her that a cyclist of 40 years will much prefer a bike with the Bosch system. May suite some looking for cheap bit of assistance but tend to be unreliable as well

• Like Like x 1
  13. Charlie

Charlie Funster

14. Steve devon

Steve devon Funster

We have two gepida Bosch Powered e bikes, £1800 each , they are not cheap, but as us westcountry gentlemen Like to say, by Christ tis proper !!

• Like Like x 2
  15. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

I did 26 miles on my AS Bike one day this summer (I'm no fitness freak and I'm on the large side) and the battery was still on two lights out of three. They have a new model which is said to have a range of 60 miles.

However best to try a number of bikes to see what suits. You may even find an electric moped would suit better.

What suits one person will be very uncomfortable for another no matter what the purchase price so you do need to try a lot of them and for a decent length of time.

• Like Like x 1
  16. parknride

parknride Funster

@Steve devon at last, no one else I speak to has heard of gepida, I love mine, got it this year I negotiated with nationwide ebikes and got money off and free postage (normally £80). The bike is strong, I use it much more than I used my normal bike and I fully recommend them. I followed the judges advice, @Judgemental - Bosch is best.

IMAG0262.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  17. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

Bosch is best IF you can manage the step through. AS bikes have a lower step through. Try as many as possible and then decide.

18. Steve devon

Steve devon Funster

Yep we got ours from nationwide in Taunton they are the same as yours but red. We live in north Devon but store the motorhome at wellington, two a bikes on a towbar mounted bike rack on a fiat 500 coming out of north Devon is a comical site !!

• Like Like x 2
  19. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

One consideration for any e-bike is the cost of the battery - some are horrendously priced, so make sure the warranty length and cost of replacement is considered.

20. Steve devon

Steve devon Funster

£600 for Bosch I think