Am I Stupid?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by 4matt, Aug 30, 2014.

1. 4matt

4matt Read Only Funster

I took delivery of my pre-loved 2002 van last year. I was shown how everything worked and given a really good introduction to everything about the van by the Dealer who sold it to me. Having said all that I never took a look at the tool kit that came with the van or checked the spare wheel or how it was housed and access to it.

I unrolled the tool kit the other day, not for the first time I have to say. I removed the Jack to check it over and noticed it is a Fiat jack not a Peugeot jack as I would have expected. Now here is the question.

Will a Fiat Jack fit my Peugeot van or have I got to get an replacement? Do you think after close to Eighteen months the Dealer will consider sorting out for me?

Just call me Stupid !!!!! If you want to........

2. chaser

chaser Funster

Same thing(y)

3. simbadog

simbadog Funster

Try it & see! Will the dealer sort it? Doubt it after 18 months. :)

4. gasman2008

gasman2008 Read Only Funster

Sorry I can't help but you have made me think, I too checked the toolkit but did not check it is right for the van. Will have a look later. Thank you, and good luck

5. lunarman

lunarman Funster

I suspect that the Fiat and Peugeot jacks are the same, and if the one you have is a scissor jack type I suggest you bin it and get a good hydrolic bottle jack with good weight capacity.

I for one would not go near my van jacked up on the one supplied by Fiat.

John

• Like Like x 2
  6. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

Not sure how big your MH is, but whatever jack we have or have not got, if we need to change a wheel I am having it done

hopefully covered by the RAC, but if not I am paying to watch someone else do it

I am slightly embarrassed to admit I don't even know if I carry a jack, I do know we have a spare wheel though, and it is inflated

(y)

7. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

No questions are stupid, if you are not sure ask, that's what it's all about and it often as here gives other people to check out the same thing on their vans.

For us it would be a RAC job though.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Welsh girl

Welsh girl Funster Life Member

I thought Fiat and Peugeot came out of the same factory, so same jack?
    We also wouldn't change it ourselves. We'd get breakdown to do it. Why pay for cover then do it yourself?
    Especially when your old and creaky yourself.
    Speaking for ourselves, not anyone on here.

9. Billy23

Billy23 Funster

My advice for what it is worth. Do not even try to change a wheel on a heavy motorhome, get a man that can, a few £'s or € much better than hospital if it goes wrong.

10. tambo

tambo Read Only Funster

The fiat ducato, Peugeot boxer, citron relay are all the same base vehicle and most parts are interchangeable ....The jack will be the same ....theyre actually quite good too I've used mine a fair bit although I wouldn't lie under the van whilst on one they're certainly adequate for wheel changes etc.

It's the spare wheel wound up on a 4mm wire I think is dubious .....but that said it's stayed up there lol

• Like Like x 2
  11. tambo

tambo Read Only Funster

Because I can change one quicker than it would take for a breakdown van to get to me ......and most breakdowns have a limited call outs per year .....a flat tyre is something every motorist should be equipped and able to deal with themselves ......same with checking oil

• Like Like x 2
  12. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

advice as above, the jacks are the same and both useless in an emergency. just about lifts a front corner, but not a rear

as for the question in the title....i decline to comment as it may invoke rule 1 :rofl:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny Funster

I'm with David on this one. This summer in Scotland miles from anywhere I thought that I may have a faulty wheel bearing. The scissor jack had never been used but I was impressed at how it located in the jacking points. Winding it up was nightmare though and I thought at the time how I would not wish to be attempting this or trying to access the spare wheel beside some busy road!

14. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

I agree in principle with a car tyre, but the weight and size make it impossible for many older members to change a van tyre at the roadside

15. Baycott

Baycott Funster

As Carol said, no question is stupid. You can be sure that by asking someone else will be grateful for the answer.
    That said I think I would also leave it to the breakdown service. Have a cup of tea while you wait (y)

• Like Like x 1
  16. tambo

tambo Read Only Funster

Regardless of whether you can change a tyre personally or not .....you should always make sure you have a functional jack wheelbrace and a serviceable spare wheel on board ......don't always rely on breakdown services to have the necessary equipment as sometimes they don't ....It saves lengthy delays I speak from previous experience.

But maybe I just trust my own work more than I trust others .....i do most stuff myself if I can

• Like Like x 1
  17. Mack100

Mack100 Funster

No, you're not stupid. Being stupid (me Sir) is assuming you've actually got a spare wheel in the first place. My 3rd mistake!

• Like Like x 1
  18. voyagerstan

voyagerstan Read Only Funster

as said before if its a scisor jack bin it and get a decent bottle jack with adiquate weight capacity . :cool::cool:STAN

19. tambo

tambo Read Only Funster

I'd actually rather use the original jack than a bottle jack....its weight related to the vehicle mine is 1900kg , it's mechanical as opposed to hydraulic so doesn't leak or loose pressure , it has the correct bracket to fit in the designated jack lifting points , and it fits in the tool roll with the wheelbrace etc supplied with vehicle....perfect for changing a wheel on the move

Of course at home I'd use my 5 tonne trolley jack

20. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

You have more confidence than me, a scissor jack may well collapse, hopefully slowly, a bottle jack could simply topple over pretty much instantaneously, either / both very scary concept

I will wait and let the nice man with a proper trolley jack do it thanks :D