Am I mad or does anyone else do this, pre-winter get the crap off it - 3 day event (1 Viewer)

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
West Yorkshire occasionally
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
So on monday we returned from a few weeks away, before we set off I looked at the roof from a bedroom window and it actually looked quite clean, then the Lime tree, NOT OWNED BY US, above the motorhome started dropping its sticky crap stuff all over it and it just set solid. Bleeding tree, I wish it would catch fire.

Anyway so on monday I started to wash the roof using for the first time Fenwicks motorhome cleaner, if i'm honest it was crap, or maybe I expected too much from it, I honestly don't know, but certainly no better than fairy liquid and warm water, I even bought a brand new extending pole and micro fibre mop head to help me reach the middle bits. To say the sticky stuff and black sooty deposits were a right b@st@ard to get off is an understatement, took me close to 5 hours just soaking/washing to get it something like, bearing in mind it was done 6 months ago so not exactly 10/15/20 year old concrete crudge.

Day 2, my arms, fingers and feet (from standing on ladder rungs for 4 hours) don't feel like they belong to me, i'm absolutely cream crackered and i'm only half done. My fingers feel like they've dislocated or something and every knuckle joint is aching like hell.

So leading onto today, day 3, out comes the polish and this is where it gets interesting, who polishes their solar panels? Well I do or at least have done, they look better than the day they were fitted.

So hence the question, does anyone else do this or am I just stark raving bloody bonkers ???

day 1

IMG_3973.jpeg

day 2

IMG_3994.jpeg
IMG_3991.jpeg

day 3

IMG_3999.jpeg

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
I do my roof once a year but I’m lucky because I can walk on my roof so not too bad. Know what you mean about being tired afterwards must be an age thing.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
So leading onto today, day 3, out comes the polish and this is where it gets interesting, who polishes their solar panels? Well I do or at least have done, they look better than the day they were fitted.
That is a good way of reducing their output, you should never polish solar panels.

Whats with all the stretching just hop up on the roof that's what I do.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
I was going to say I also polish my solar panels, because they keep cleaner and the rain washes the dust off better than unpolished.
How's that Dave? :rofl: :rofl:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
So on monday we returned from a few weeks away, before we set off I looked at the roof from a bedroom window and it actually looked quite clean, then the Lime tree, NOT OWNED BY US, above the motorhome started dropping its sticky crap stuff all over it and it just set solid. Bleeding tree, I wish it would catch fire.

Anyway so on monday I started to wash the roof using for the first time Fenwicks motorhome cleaner, if i'm honest it was crap, or maybe I expected too much from it, I honestly don't know, but certainly no better than fairy liquid and warm water, I even bought a brand new extending pole and micro fibre mop head to help me reach the middle bits. To say the sticky stuff and black sooty deposits were a right b@st@ard to get off is an understatement, took me close to 5 hours just soaking/washing to get it something like, bearing in mind it was done 6 months ago so not exactly 10/15/20 year old concrete crudge.

Day 2, my arms, fingers and feet (from standing on ladder rungs for 4 hours) don't feel like they belong to me, i'm absolutely cream crackered and i'm only half done. My fingers feel like they've dislocated or something and every knuckle joint is aching like hell.

So hence the question, does anyone else do this or am I just stark raving bloody bonkers ???

day 1

View attachment 795747

day 2

View attachment 795748View attachment 795749

day 3

View attachment 795751
I think you've missed a bit

Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018

day 1

View attachment 795747

day 2

View attachment 795748View attachment 795749

day 3

View attachment 795751
Looks bloody luvverly!
A job very well done. 👏

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Not only will polishing them reduce the output due to reflecting the sunlight, the pressure used when polishing can cause micro cracks in the cells reducing efficiency by 50 to 80%.
You should only ever clean them gently.

OP
OP
Al n Val

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
Not only will polishing them reduce the output due to reflecting the sunlight, the pressure used when polishing can cause micro cracks in the cells reducing efficiency by 50 to 80%.
You should only ever clean them gently.
and where's the evidence of this comment Lenny, please point to where I can read up on it. For your info the panels were polished gently, then wiped with a cleansing agent to remove any residue.

They are cleaner now than when they were removed from the boxes when manufactured by Victron.

I'd still like to see evidence that polishing will reduce output though tbh.

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
Some info here.

Thanks Lenny. I’ve often thought of polishing mine so That the dusty rain and sea salt washes off easier.
I’ll stick with just rinsing them off when needed 👍

OP
OP
Al n Val

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018

That is a good way of reducing their output, you should never polish solar panels.

Whats with all the stretching just hop up on the roof that's what I do.
Some info here.

i’m good to go it seems

‍1) Don’t wash your solar panels unnecessarily

I didn’t, they needed washing

‍2) Do not use abrasives!

I didn’t

‍3) Leave the wax, you don’t need it!

it was cleaned off using a mild cleaning agent

4) No bleach or Harsh Chemicals

I didn’t use any

5) Stay away from high-pressure water jets

I didn’t use one

As to climbing on the roof, never when theirs no need to and impossible to polish anything whilst stood up i’d have thought unless your an Orangutang 🤣

Jan 19, 2014
Calpe Spain
Funster No
MH
Benimar T483
Exp
Since 1980
Try a ceramic coating on the roof. Since I have had it done then the dreaded black spots and the rest of the gunge is removed with a good quality detergent and extendable brush.
It's been nearly 12 months since applied and the coating seems as good as day one.
Makes the washing so... much easier......
I must admit money well spent.

OP
OP
Al n Val

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
Try a ceramic coating on the roof. Since I have had it done then the dreaded black spots and the rest of the gunge is removed with a good quality detergent and extendable brush.
It's been nearly 12 months since applied and the coating seems as good as day one.
Makes the washing so... much easier......
I must admit money well spent.
The bodywork was Ceramic coated in March this year but we didn’t have time or ladders to do the roof.

I’ve used a ceramic wax as it happens on the roof this time recommended by Tude so hopefully if I can keep up to it it’ll be easier.
Having had a total hip replacement last June i’ve had to steer clear of ladders for a while 😉

busbuddy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
swift suntor 630G
Exp
since 1994
I was away at a car show last weekend (nsra supernationals to be precise), it rained saturday afternoon and as my van now lives in storage.....I was up on the roof with my extendy brush making the roof white again much to all my mates amusement 🤦‍♂️

Darloman

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
You’re not bonkers. I too clean my van roof and polish afterwards once per year or as needed. Good job by the way.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
If you are bonkers you might well think l am, for some reason we are plagued by wood pigeons this year we are surrounded by fields so expect the odd one but they have taken to crapping on the roof of the MH if l don’t garage it……why bonkers…….l purchased a rubber Snake and stuck it to the roof with double sided number plate tape…..guess what……no Pigeons it works.

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Good job Al.
Was thinking I might do mine before winter sets in but decided spring is the best time.

OP
OP
Al n Val

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
If you are bonkers you might well think l am, for some reason we are plagued by wood pigeons this year we are surrounded by fields so expect the odd one but they have taken to crapping on the roof of the MH if l don’t garage it……why bonkers…….l purchased a rubber Snake and stuck it to the roof with double sided number plate tape…..guess what……no Pigeons it works.
We were parked at the side of tall trees all last weekend and we’re surrounded by wood pigeons, the roof and panels were covered in piles of you know what so having a big effin rubber snake up there might be my next purchase.

I don’t like snakes btw, even rubber ones 😱

OP
OP
Al n Val

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
Good job Al.
Was thinking I might do mine before winter sets in but decided spring is the best time.
I see your point but we’ll be away from next week until May time so I just needed to do it

This photo shows you why 😢

and btw, the black line is or should be white sealant 😢

IMG_3973.jpeg

OP
OP
Al n Val

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
Whilst i’m on a mission

all the plastic roof lights have got something like black spots and sooty deposits on them which i’m finding it impossible to get off

any recommendations anyone 😉

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
You can get some stuff for taking the fine scratches off the plastic windows. That should shift them. Think mine was made by 'fenwicks'. Could try a bit of brasso or solvo autosol but the latter might be a bit too abrasive.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
As to climbing on the roof, never when theirs no need to and impossible to polish anything whilst stood up i’d have thought unless your an Orangutang 🤣
I kneel on mine and clean it with a small microfibre towel.
You’re not bonkers. I too clean my van roof and polish afterwards once per year or as needed. Good job by the way.
Never polish mine, it makes walking on it dangerous.
Whilst i’m on a mission

all the plastic roof lights have got something like black spots and sooty deposits on them which i’m finding it impossible to get off

any recommendations anyone 😉
Anyone near you been burning crap in a wood burner.
You could try TFR but try on a hidden bit first in case it reacts with the acrylic.

Jan 19, 2014
Calpe Spain
Funster No
MH
Benimar T483
Exp
Since 1980
Have the same problem here in Spain.
Tiny black spots appear on the terrace tiles.We think it's some sort of sticky blackish sap that covers the hedges and date palms.
Power wash and patio cleaner don't always shift it.
Had it all over the roof on our Swift and Rapido and the only way I could get rid was a cutting compound and polish and even that was not 100%
Glad we did the ceramic worth every penny.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back