Aluminium window profile oxidiation (1 Viewer)

fleurette

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I640 SD
Exp
DSC_0057.jpg Just been looking over my new Frankia and find that the drivers side window profile is starting to oxidize with the top coating starting to flake, i know that it will be attended to under warranty at the dealership but my question is will a treatment/repair cure this problem or is it likely to keep reacquiring.

Look forward to your input on this
Nigel

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
If the covering paint \ clear coat gets scratched yes the aluminium alloy with tarnish. Aluminium is a reactive metal with oxygen.
Remember back when when pots were made of aluminium, if you scratched them you would see the scratches were shiny but wait a day or two and they'd be back to matching the rest of the pot.
As an aside, I've had the alloys replaced twice on the car (under warranty) as the lacquer failed on them!

cornish boy

Free Member
Jul 24, 2016
Body in Hampshire, heart in Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 669.
Exp
not so newbie anymore - since 2016
We find that keeping a good covering of wax on any painted or powder coated aluminium helps prevent or slow down oxidisation. as @Gellyneck said, scratches are the main cause so regular checks and a wipe over with wax pays off.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
fleurette

fleurette

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I640 SD
Exp
Haven't had chance to polish it yet, it's only 2 weeks old, brand new van:(.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Just tell your dealer and I would guess they will put a new window in, check the other side as well first, most likely damaged the paint when they put the seals in or something similarly stupid.

Martin

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
The aluminium frame on my Hartall door is suffering similar on the lower corners. My Burstner is about 2 years old. Dealer said to ask a local body shop to quote for repaint. A bit shocking on such a recent van but even worse on a new one!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
fleurette

fleurette

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I640 SD
Exp
The aluminium frame on my Hartall door is suffering similar on the lower corners. My Burstner is about 2 years old. Dealer said to ask a local body shop to quote for repaint. A bit shocking on such a recent van but even worse on a new one!
2 years is no time really, when you think that you'll probably have the van for 5 years or more. I'm looking to get a new window as a repair I feel would only be a short term job and the oxidisation would return.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back