Almost wished i had never started: full polish and ceramic coat🤔 (1 Viewer)

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Your doing a great job, van looks wonderful.(y) I would be too scared to take it down the road now, especially if its raining.🌧️

When you order up some more polish & ceramic sealer, I would add a large roll of cling film.
Simply roll some over the entire front to catch the bugs, & mud splatters, then peel off when you get to your destination. job done, sit back relax in a chair with a nice cold one.(y):giggle:;)

Happy travels
LES

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Yes the garage makes life a bit easier 👍🏻 i just rent a place from my neighbour as the unit is 50m from our house) Few other vans in there plus some nice vintage cars. The only issue i face with the garage is the floor as it’s unsealed concrete…. so can be very dusty. Hence I’ve agreed with my neighbour that we’ll seal it after he’s finished some work at his farm later this year, he’ll provide the materials and then he and i will do the work.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Yes correct. Have used RainX for many years and find it very good although the benefit soon wears off. In theory this treatment is a bit more heavy duty and is supposed to last 12months but let’s see, with 6 I’ll be happy and for me it’s more about easy bug removal after a drive👍🏻

Agreed it does help with bug removal.

Out of interest did you polish the screen before application.
This makes a fair difference in water dispersal 😊

Nice job by the way.
Wish I had a barn to work in 😢😊

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Agreed it does help with bug removal.

Out of interest did you polish the screen before application.
This makes a fair difference in water dispersal 😊

Nice job by the way.
Wish I had a barn to work in 😢😊

Yes, the cleaning process took 1hr. It was 2 steps with first using a clay type liquid/paste (diluted clay in liquid). Like a mild scourer, then it was a grease removal clean (acetone) and then applying the magic potion took 3mins, well as long as the cloth lasted.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 13, 2020
Leicester
Funster No
MH
'Inbetweeners'
Exp
Newbie. Motor home experience began on 1/8/2020.
Very nice finish.

I washed the car yesterday and flashed over with some of that aqua spray polish. Lazy or what?

Apr 4, 2023
Funster No
MH
burstner eliseo
Yes, the cleaning process took 1hr. It was 2 steps with first using a clay type liquid/paste (diluted clay in liquid). Like a mild scourer, then it was a grease removal clean (acetone) and then applying the magic potion took 3mins, well as long as the cloth lasted.
Which clay and degrease products did you use? Could you give a listing of all the products that you’ve used. Looks amazing and I was about to buy a load of cleaning materials today/tomorrow.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie

When I’m “going” for it I use jewellers rogue 😊

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Which clay and degrease products did you use? Could you give a listing of all the products that you’ve used. Looks amazing and I was about to buy a load of cleaning materials today/tomorrow.

For the windscreen it was part of the kit (similar as Silver-Fox mentioned to jewellers rouge) in my case it’s a German windscreen protection kit that cost around £15 and give one treatment. For the rest i used Meguiars Ultimate Polish and again another German product for the sealing (Nigrin Black Label) but I’m sure there’s plenty of easily available alternatives.

More important were the million clothes (they’ll be washed and reused for other tasks), a ton of elbow grease and 27 cups of tea😂 (maybe an odd jaffa cake as well…)

Dec 6, 2022
Worcestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
autotrail imala 736g
Exp
Couldn't you have used an electric polisher?? Looks a million dollars,shiny new pin.

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Couldn't you have used an electric polisher?? Looks a million dollars,shiny new pin.

Nah that would be cheating, i wanted a karate kid training 😂

But i was a bit worried about getting carried away with an electric polisher and knowing how thin the paint is our our vans i thought it best to do it by hand. Probably nothing to worry about and just being over cautious.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Nah that would be cheating, i wanted a karate kid training 😂

But i was a bit worried about getting carried away with an electric polisher and knowing how thin the paint is our our vans i thought it best to do it by hand. Probably nothing to worry about and just being over cautious.

Helps that the paint is pretty new but Electric polisher does a cracking job on older vehicles, much better than hand.

Aug 12, 2021
Nantwitch Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Flair
Exp
25years
Ive worn my polisher out now need a new one.Fenwicks then autoglym wrong thread for the roof.
IMG_0202.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2022
Worcestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
autotrail imala 736g
Exp
Then you can help other people out with their polishing 👌 PM me your address and I'll bring mine round, thanks a million.

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Finally finished yesterday. Took about 16hrs in total but split over a few sessions. And this was the first time I’ve seen it in the daylight:

IMG_5917.jpeg

IMG_5918.jpeg

IMG_5921.jpeg

IMG_5922.jpeg

IMG_5925.jpeg

Had a full rainstorm testing as we drove up through France today, it worked well and the van is still very clean after todays 700km👍🏻

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Back in Blighty next week but I don’t think I’d be popular if we stopped off to do some polishing😁 unless it was at Alton towers
That gives me an excuse to go to Alton Towers, I can enjoy the rides while you treat my van. :rofl:

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
That is one shiny MH!

Ian