Almost wished i had never started: full polish and ceramic coat🤔 (1 Viewer)

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Finally decided to go for it 🫣

OK I’m cheating on the ceramic coating as I’m using an easy to apply more mild (ie less chance to f..k it up type).

After some serious washing, de-bugging of the front of the van, drying etc i started last night😳

Started on the front which is probably the hardest area due to all the intricate areas and different materials and finishes. Also did a 12 month coating on the windscreen so going to be interesting to see how that goes although i did run out of « magic solution » due to the windscreen size….

I’ve used Meguiars Ultimate polish as the van is new and i thought the paint would be almost perfect, boy was i wrong…… the more i looked the more imperfections i started to see and at one point actually thought I’d just jack it in and go and watch the grass grow🤔 anyway stuck at it and after 5hrs of work the front of the van is now done, washed, polished and ceramic coated and then final polished.

IMG_5878.jpeg

IMG_5876.jpeg

IMG_5875.jpeg

I went to a car detailing place and asked them for advise and the guy suggested a product that i translated « even noddy couldn’t mess up » so perfect for me, it’s a German product from the company Nigrin called »Black Label Ceramic Sealing »

IMG_0271.jpeg

Easy to use but it’s all about the prep.

Now just another 3 sides to go, 2 of them may take a while…..

PS just realised that whilst i claim to have finished the front i have forgotten to do the top ie above windscreen, oh bollocks 😮‍💨

Feb 16, 2019
Funster No
MH
Fiat PVC
Exp
Since 1995
Never done this to our Motorhome, just used a polish , so as we have a new van, is this a good idea?

Sep 2, 2020
Ladybarn, Manchester, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Finally decided to go for it 🫣

OK I’m cheating on the ceramic coating as I’m using an easy to apply more mild (ie less chance to f..k it up type).

After some serious washing, de-bugging of the front of the van, drying etc i started last night😳

Started on the front which is probably the hardest area due to all the intricate areas and different materials and finishes. Also did a 12 month coating on the windscreen so going to be interesting to see how that goes although i did run out of « magic solution » due to the windscreen size….

I’ve used Meguiars Ultimate polish as the van is new and i thought the paint would be almost perfect, boy was i wrong…… the more i looked the more imperfections i started to see and at one point actually thought I’d just jack it in and go and watch the grass grow🤔 anyway stuck at it and after 5hrs of work the front of the van is now done, washed, polished and ceramic coated and then final polished.

View attachment 785561

View attachment 785562

View attachment 785563

I went to a car detailing place and asked them for advise and the guy suggested a product that i translated « even noddy couldn’t mess up » so perfect for me, it’s a German product from the company Nigrin called »Black Label Ceramic Sealing »

View attachment 785564

Easy to use but it’s all about the prep.

Now just another 3 sides to go, 2 of them may take a while…..

PS just realised that whilst i claim to have finished the front i have forgotten to do the top ie above windscreen, oh bollocks 😮‍💨
Looks great, just think of the satisfaction when you (eventually) finish. :pray2: :Grin:

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Stunning!

Ian

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
Is this ceramic stuff just "polish" on steroids?
No very different. Polish involves smoothing by rubbing away imperfections i.e. taking off a very fine layer off the original finish. A ceramic coating provides a new, tougher, shiny surface that protect what is below. You never polish a ceramic coating but you do need to do it first if it is not in original showroom condition.

Looking great Ridgeway .

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Great job but you must be thin to get round that left hand side :reel:

And very worried when when I’m parking😂 there’s about 75cm in reality so easy enough to pass by but tight with the ladder…

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
What did you do about the "carbon foil" on the front? it looks the same as on our Palace and is quite textured and will hold polish and go white when it dries, did you seal it as well?

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
What did you do about the "carbon foil" on the front? it looks the same as on our Palace and is quite textured and will hold polish and go white when it dries, did you seal it as well?

I did. Light cleaning to remove any oils, greases etc and then coated it. I was surprised at how well that went as i feared it just get into all the texture and dry up, tested it first and left it an hour - happy with the result then did the rest. Still have to do those side graphics though🫣

Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
You really must be careful not to reveal your location, funsters will otherwise find an excuse to swing by in big numbers for some “help” doing their vans 😇😎😆

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
It’s another Nigrin product, similarish to the Meguiars product ie a super charged RainX

In German it’s called, wait for it…

Nigrin Scheibenversiegelungs SET😂

Normally when you coat a windscreen with rain x or similar you don’t use the wipers.

Doing so will remove the coating 👍

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Normally when you coat a windscreen with rain x or similar you don’t use the wipers.

Doing so will remove the coating 👍

Yes correct. Have used RainX for many years and find it very good although the benefit soon wears off. In theory this treatment is a bit more heavy duty and is supposed to last 12months but let’s see, with 6 I’ll be happy and for me it’s more about easy bug removal after a drive👍🏻

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Managed the passenger side today, another 5hrs although that did include 1hr to complete the cap above the windscreen I’d forgotten about…

I think that I’ve done the 2 hardest sides now should hoping to complete it this week with another 6hrs or so of work. That’ll mean it will have taken a couple of full days overall.

IMG_5886.jpeg

IMG_5889.jpeg

IMG_5892.jpeg

Think I’ll need another bottle of polish, ceramic sealer and a few more cloths😂

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back